Old 07-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #1  
Half-marathoner.

S/C/G: 175/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Keeping Atkins a secret?

You're living Atkins. You know the crap you get from people. "That's not healthy." "Your cholesterol is going to go through the roof." etc, etc, etc. Of course there's the ongoing debate of whether or not Atkins is healthy. Now, take that and throw vegetarian into the mix. I believe one can be successful with a modified vegetarian version of Atkins. I'm lacto-ovo and actually love eggs, so it doesn't seem too difficult. I tried it out back in November of '06 and had success with it. I left for basic training in December,so it's something I had to quit. Well, I'm ready to give it a try again. I have a half-marathon in a month and I'd LOVE to drop some weight. I want to stick with it this time. Last time I didn't have a choice with having to leave for Basic Training. Anyway, my point is that my girlfriend and I always eat together pretty much all weekend long, but I really don't want to tell her I'm doing low-carb. I can't explain it really. I just don't want to tell her. So, I'm thinking I can just make a conscious effort to avoid as many carbs as possible around her on the weekend, but not make a HUGE deal about it. If she wants pasta, I'll limit the amount. If she wants veg. burgers, I'll go without the bun and suggest broccoli or green beans. The good thing is that even if my carbs are a little bit higher than they should be, I'm up to running 6 miles on Saturdays, soon to be up to 10, so I use those carbs. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone can relate or if changing your WOE slightly on the weekend haulted your weight loss and success. Thanks in advance!
~33
thirty3zenlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You can certainly do this, it is not necessary to announce that you are doing Atkins,I have done Atkins but am now calorie counting, doesn't matter what you are doing you don't have to say you are dieting.
I just don't mention it and it saves a lot of unwanted comments.If someone says why aren't you eating, dessert, pasta, ice cream gravy or whatever I just say "I don't feel like it today" or any such comment that usually ends the conversation. Look at the skinny minnies they never explain that they only want half a sandwich.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #3  

I totally understand where you are coming from! People LOVE to have opinions on other people's lives. Plus, when people know you are "dieting" they like to watch you more closely, ask questions, put their two cents in and even sometimes sabatoge you! Alot of the times when I'm trying to change my eating habits I'll share it with friends that are doing the same and we compare menus, recipes, etc. but other than that I keep it to myself. Do what's best for you and what's most comfortable for you. Good luck on your marathon!
ebplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I took a lot of flak from people when I was doing Atkins, so I understand what you are saying. But, it worked and it took the wt. off and I'm much healthier now than I was before. I did eat more carbs than most people doing Atkins because from the start I included plenty of fruit in my diet. I left alone things such as flour, sugar, salt, pasta, rice and potatoes. I ate lots of eggs, meat, cheese, green veggies and fruit. It still worked. Just do whatever works for you.

BTW, which branch of the military are you in? My son is in the Army Reserves.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I think if you are training for a marathon, a little extra carb in your atkins diet would be very good for you. So, no I dont think a modified version would hinder your efforts. I do think tho, that if you dont cut back on the fat intake when you increase your carbs, you will see a stall out or maybe even a gain. Its a funny diet that way.

As for not telling your gf...Im sure you have your reasons. But my first thought was, did you not trust her to encourage you? ...and then there is a whole lotta other crap that goes with that. Regardless, do what makes you happy!!

Good Luck with it, and keep us posted as to how its going.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #6  

You could always focus too on the fact that you are increasing proteins and more nutrient dense foods. Keep the focus on what you ARE eating and off of what you aren't eating. That might help.
KimberMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #7  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Kimber, that's brilliant! I'm going to try it. I am SO tired of the criticism. Funny, though, my friends in health care (Dr., RN, phys. ther., x-ray tech, etc.) are 100% behind me and have nothing negative to say. Also I've got somebody telling me (grrrrr) that if I do everything right (HIS way dontcha know) I won't have any loose skin, and if I have any it will be because I didn't listen to him. Ffffffffft.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #8  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm pretty blunt with my dieting style with everyone I know. The one big nervous point was my boyfriend. I had a feeling he'd be HUGELY judgmental about my being on Atkins. When I began Atkins, I said it was "lower carb" and that I was cutting out any carbs that weren't vegetables. It wasn't until later that I admitted it was Atkins. He's actually been really supportive and only occasionally when we go out I get the "this is SO good--try a bite" and I have to firmly say no several times and he rolls his eyes at me "one bite isn't going to hurt you." But...he's starting to get the hang of having a girlfriend on Atkins

People are weird about food...but I don't think that hiding it from your girlfriend will ultimately be good for either of you. I know I personally don't like my significant others keeping secrets from me--especially in a situation where I could be supportive. It suggests that the person I'm with doesn't think I'm trustworthy or that I'm too judgmental to share thing with...

Just my two cents.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5"5

i personally am telling people i am avoiding sugars and "white carbs" or saying i am full after dinner if dessert is being served which has worked so far - i avoid using the a word becasue of everyones opinion regarding it - its my thing so why should nayone else be involved - by bf same the same thing Azure - and he has gotten to the point of not asking anymore - plus i avoid telling anyone what i am doing because people whether consiously or subconsiously i think try and sabotage dieters.
chickadee315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #10  

Yeah, I like to turn it around on people and be more like "Uhmm, why would I eat processed, sugar laden foods that make me sick when I can eat all this awesome food that is good for me AND lose weight?????" - said with kind of a "DUH" attitude, it works and generally shuts people up....plus its true. With our way of eating, we are redefining "normal" for ourselves, and in comparison to what is "normal" for most of society, we deserve to have a little bit of attitude for being able to make such quality decisions to change our lives, our health and our appearances....all while eating like kings!
KimberMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote