Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Oh (censored)! - A Thread For Getting Back To Goal

Last edited by Meg; 11-27-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:39 AM   #2  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Can you explain to me how drinking more water gets rid of water weight? I seem to be having a problem with it because my weight has been fluxuation up to 5 pounds between days.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:46 AM   #3  
Meg

Good morning, Carolyn! When we're dehydrated, we'll actually retain water (I know it sounds odd but it's true). We also retain water if we've had a lot of sodium (like soy sauce or in processed, restaurant foods). Excessive carbs also make a lot of us retain water.

So the thing to do in all those cases is to drink a lot of water. It will flush out the sodium and carbs and rehydrate you.

I can always tell that I'm retaining water from my wedding ring -- I call it my bloat-o-meter. When I can't even budge it, like today, I know I'm retaining a ton of water (I'm hoping three pounds worth!) So I'll drink a lot of water to try to get it to move on out.

If you think you might be retaining water, trying drinking some extra today and see what happens.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #4  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Thanks for the explaination! I've definitely had too much salt with all the peanuts I ate over the last two days. But I rarely ever feel bloated. Not even with my period.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #5  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

umm... ::raises hand::

though i'm not an active maintainer-poster (lol), i probably should be.

up eightish pounds, but i think im going to try for a lower maintenance weight, too. right now just focusing on getting these 8-10 lbs off. i am super carefully counting calories and upping my cardio. i really believe that my "set point" weight is around 150, because boy does my weight like to head that way, but it's staying there. i am really having a hard time getting these pounds off.

meg, i'm sure that's totally water weight and your body being like, what the heck? why didn't we go to the gym? by the way, i've been posting on and off for 3ish years, but have been reading always, and it's so wonderful how you are such a constant around here, and an inspiration.
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #6  
Meg

Thanks, Megan! And please keep posting -- we Megs need to stick together.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

The title of this thread is fabulous!
I am sad to say that is my mantra everyday lately.
Having kept a weight chart for the past year and a half - like a spectator I am watching the numbers slowly creep up, I even past the danger zone and no alarms went off.
Keeping up the good fight everyday - but seem to have a hard time staying on plan for even a whole day lately.
Megan - I fully understand about the 'set weight' my body seems to like it around 150 but I will fight it back down to 140ish - because I felt soooo much better down there.
Here's to an on plan day all.

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #8  

Good morning ladies

I hope this isn't too off topic, but your posts triggered a question I've always had about this "maintenance " thing. I know that my "set point" (what my body would return to if left to its own devices, is at least 6 or 7 pounds more than what I try to stay at...Now that I'm approaching 50 it has become more of an effort to stay there...more cardio, more strict with eating stuff
Do you think there is an age where it is impossible to fight it anymore? That you have to settle for what your body wants?
VeggieGirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #9  
Meg

Hi Veggie!

I'm a little older than you (52) and I refuse to accept that there's an age where it becomes impossible to fight fat. Even if someone showed me conclusive proof, I'd put my fingers in my ears, cover my eyes, and sing la-la-la. I'm going to fight as long as there is breath in my body!

However, I agree that becomes a little more challenging as we get older, due to hormones and other wonderful stuff. I have to be strict with eating too -- there's very little room for going off plan.

Our age is when exercise becomes key! I KNOW there's no way for me to keep the weight off without daily exercise. And I've always said that weightlifting is the Fountain of Youth for women our age. It prevents osteoporosis and builds muscle, which burns calories, keeps our metabolism running high, and looks great.

My body wants to weigh 250 pounds and you better believe I'll NEVER settle for that again!!!
Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #10  
Maintainer-to-be

S/C/G: 214/170/154

Height: 5'8" / 1.72 m

What a perfect thread.

I was (very) briefly at goal at the end of 2005 and at the beginning of 2006 and then I totally lost the plot and regained a few kilos. Went from 70 kilos to 79 and then down a bit again at the end of 2006 and then in April 2007 I went through a rebellious face where I packed on a whopping 5 kilos (11 freaking pounds!). So up from 70 kg (154 lbs) to 83 kg (183 lbs). Woo bloody hoo.

Luckily I am on my way towards goal again with one big difference: I stopped eating candy/sweets! And my goodness what a dramatic difference it has made! I've had Binge Eating Disorder for 11 years and sweet stuff has always been my bingeing material of choice. Now that I just don't eat that crap (sorry) anymore my ED has just.. disappeared. It has no place in my life and I've shed it like an old coat. BIG difference indeed! Other factors contributed as well to me recovering from the ED, but the no-sugar-policy was the big trigger. I've tried before to quit the sugar (key word: tried) but my heart wasn't in it, I didn't really WANT to quit it and I expected to fail (and binge) and of course I always did. But now I truly don't want to eat sugar anymore and that is the key thing.

So now it's a lot easier to work away the kilos, without the White Drug and I've rediscovered the glory of the gym and I'm actually having a great time now, training and working towards my goal again. Now that I don't waste loads of daily calories on sweets I eat good food and feel so much better.

Chipping away at the kilos, one by one. One big incentive is the fact that I turn 30 in December (oy vey.. ) and I'm going to Mexico for a 2 week stay at a really nice all-inclusive hotel (they have a fully equipped gym!). And of course I want to look hot in my bathingsuit!

Longwinded entry this, I'll finish by saying: we can do it! We have done it before, we have all the tools and the experience. I am stubborn in my conviction that I will soon be a member of the 5% crowd that keeps the weight off, because now I really GET it.

silvernight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

whew..well at least some of yesterday was water, I am down 1.4 today BUT my rule is if I go above 133, I have to go back into loss mode until I am back to 130.6 or less. So another 1.2 ...today will be better than yesterday. No running today, but I am taking a loong walk this morning to run errands with the stroller and a 2 hour yoga for runners workshop this afternoon. All of which will leave me little time for binge eating.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Meg - flying always puts me up 3-5 lbs and I suspect it's the dehydration. I really hate airplane bathrooms, crawling over fellow passengers, standing waiting in the aisle, yada yada. Sometimes you just gotta do it though, and I've gotten better about drinking (water) when I fly even though it means getting to the bathroom.....

I admire all of you for catching a small gain. Like Sznn, I sat and watched my weight go up, and I so know that 90% of it was preventable (I mean, yes, I had a foot injury and couldn't exercise as much as I needed for a couple months, but I didn't really need to eat to fill the void. ) I have fought more than a few extra pounds for a couple years now, and while I'm down, I still have more than a little way to be back to goal. But 3FC helps, and my weight is moving - oh so slowly - downward. You are so right Meg, it's harder and harder as we get older. Just keep fighting.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

gah...the scale is bouncy lately...
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #14  
Meg

Two of the three New Mexico pounds whooshed away overnight, despite having sushi for dinner. So I can get rid of the last one as easily.

It felt ridiculously good to be back in the gym this morning.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #15  

Thank you Meg for your response!

I too started weight training - for me, its been about two years now; I started at my doctor's advice, since all the older women in my father's family are literally bent over like upside down L's (does that make sense?), at my first bone density at 40 I tested in the osteopenia range for both femur and hip. Since doing the weight stuff, and taking calcium (tried Fosamax too and got sick), my femur registers normal and my hip is better, although not normal yet. Sometimes I wonder if the two extra pounds that have been permanent lately are muscle gain? Or maybe that's just wishful thinking

Anyway, thanks again, and I'll keep up the fight...and I'll win..

Last edited by VeggieGirl1; 07-08-2007 at 11:30 AM.
VeggieGirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote