Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/148/120

Height: 5ft

Default 1050 Calories a Day bad?

I am eating everything on the list in phase 1. I get my veggies, fruit, my oatmeal, only one cup of brown rice, one serving of yogurt and herbal tea in a day and even pinto beans in every other day. But I'm full i'm totally satisified with that and actually I'm pretty full by 750 calories I force myself to eat my yogurt with strawberries in it. I'm starting day 5 and I have only lost 2 lbs. I exercise and swim daily. Shouldn't I be losing more? Is it cuz I'm only able to eat 1050 calories a day?

Please help...

Liz
Old 07-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

You're losing 1% of your body weight per week, that's pretty much the upper limit for safe weight loss. Too rapid a weight loss seems to be linked with some unpleasant side effects (loose skin, gallstones are the ones I remember) and rapid regain.

1050 seems a little low for an active lifestyle, but everyone's metabolism is different. It wouldn't hurt to have your thyroid checked, but this might just be your metabolism. Upping your calories would allow you to get more nutrients in (dietitians usually say it's very difficult to eat a balanced diet on fewer than 1200 calories). This might reduce your losses to around 1.5 lbs per week, but this would still be a wonderful weight loss for your weight. Also, a lot of people say they lose much better on 1200 calories than 1000, so you might actually still be losing at about the same rate. It's worth a shot.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #3  

the thing is I've been on various weight plans for about a year and a half now. I have severely platued I can't lose weight past 144 its so frustrating. This past 6 mos I have had about 1200 to 1300 calorie intake a day sometimes tho I would do about 1500 here and there but not often but still can't lose past 144. So I was thinking 1000 wouldn't be that bad...what do you think?

Liz
Old 07-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/175/140

Height: 5'2"

I personally think that's too few. Maybe you should look at your workout routines? Can you vary those some rather than trying to take in less? Maybe try something like intervals in your swimming if you haven't already, or some different strokes? That few calories just seems really low to me from everything I've read.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #5  

I did too until I read a post by Suzanne 3FC about FS vs EFS and here is a piece of what she posted:

"Averages 800 to 1000 calories per day, according to the sample menus we checked. We assume this is why it is for people with few pounds to lose, because it would not be healthy to follow long term."

I'm not starving myself...honest I eat every 3 hours. I eat big yummy salads loaded with cucumbers, tomatoes celery and corn. I eat 1 cup of rice, oatmeal and egg whites (with mushrooms, onions, bell peppers) non fat light yogurt with fresh strawberries, broccoli soup (homemade totally healthy phase 1) one sweet potatoe baked with 1 tsp of olive oil. and one cup of milk a day. Water all day long oh and my herb tea. how much more could I honestly eat...I'm stuffed by the end of the day...its more then I would eat if i wasnt dieting. lol
Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 AM   #6  

I am thinking just to wait it out - you may just have a "whoosh" awaiting you!

Plus how are you feeling overall? And how are your clothes fitting? Because you don't have much to lose, it may be a little slower but you are doing great and eating so well!

Hang in there
Old 07-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 175/175/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgordy View Post
I did too until I read a post by Suzanne 3FC about FS vs EFS and here is a piece of what she posted:

"Averages 800 to 1000 calories per day, according to the sample menus we checked. We assume this is why it is for people with few pounds to lose, because it would not be healthy to follow long term."

I'm not starving myself...honest I eat every 3 hours. I eat big yummy salads loaded with cucumbers, tomatoes celery and corn. I eat 1 cup of rice, oatmeal and egg whites (with mushrooms, onions, bell peppers) non fat light yogurt with fresh strawberries, broccoli soup (homemade totally healthy phase 1) one sweet potatoe baked with 1 tsp of olive oil. and one cup of milk a day. Water all day long oh and my herb tea. how much more could I honestly eat...I'm stuffed by the end of the day...its more then I would eat if i wasnt dieting. lol
That does sound like you're eating really well. So, I guess what I would try is changing up your exercise routine - maybe your body is getting used to it and it needs to be shaken out of its comfort zone with a new activity??
Old 07-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #8  

Yea I feel great really good...no dizzy spells no weakness actually bursts of engery... and I've gained two pounds since I posted this last its crazy and its frustrating the heck out of me!

Liz
Old 07-17-2007, 08:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

If you are following the way you say, then STOP weighing and START enjoying the yay your clothes must be fitting!!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 203/183/121?

Height: 5' 4"

1000 calories a day is fine as long as it is very short term. Otherwise, your body may start using your muscle for energy.

You may not be eating enough. Try eating 1400 calories per day for two weeks--30% fat, 30% carbs, 40% protein. See how you feel. You may feel more energetic and be able to build more muscle from your workouts since you'd be eating more protein.

Then tweak it from there. Only you know how you feel. Sometimes you have to try something completely new.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:42 AM   #11  

Honestly I feel great not weak or dizzy at all with doing only intaking 1050 but was concern that I wouldnt lose weight by having so little calories a day. I'm eating good and not missing any meals or snacks at all and I'm getting everything on the phase 1 list. But I actually intaked 1250 today by adding an additional glass of milk and a half of a banana to my diet. But only added it not cuz i was hungry but to reach 1200 calories...