General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Grandpa died this morning

Hi. I know this doesn't have a lot to do with weight loss. Well, it has nothing to do with weight loss. My grandpa died this morning. It's not the first time I've experienced a death in the family. My grandma (other side of the family) died of cancer on Thanksgiving a few years back. I'm afraid for my grandma because she loves him and every one keeps saying she might die of a broken heart when he goes. My dad is the type to not show his feelings...he's like me. When I heard it I waited for cry until he left, then I cried for a moment or two, now I'm trying not to cry.

My dad moved to Florida to be near his parents. Now my grandma might move back to VA...I don't don't know why she would stay here and live alone...but then that means perhaps, maybe we'd move back to VA.

It's a scary thought...because as much as I hated FL at first, I just now started to accept that I'm here. And I have one last year of HS left, with people I like. I couldn't bear to be the new kid again. But I digress...maybe that's not going to happen at all. I'm sure my dad would wait for me as well. And people can't just move over night. =\

But things are going to change...I just don't know how yet. I'm also wanting to go to VA with them for the funeral, I presume. But inside I want to see how much my home town has changed. I want to see if I'd be happier there now than in FL now.

I feel bad that I don't feel so much emotion right now. I worry more so about my dad and my grandma than about his death.

I guess I needed to vent. (And despite this, I'm not going off plan. There's no reason to. You can't throw off a diet even if something terrible happens. Eating won't fix your problems, and gaining weight isn't going to help you feel better. That's how I feel, even though this has happened).
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #2  

You sound very strong and that you are coping well...take as long as you want to heal and vent away, yeah? I'm so sorry for your loss....but its normal to feel numb/emotionless for awhile, it doesnt mean you should feel bad or that you are a bad person, we all react to bad news and grieve differently.

my thoughts are with you
emily
xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gamer, I'm so sorry. Take some time to grieve--it's OK to show emotions. If you can't cry when someone dies, then when can you?

Take good care--let us know how you're doing! It's good that you want to stay on plan during this time. It is possible to eat in a healthy way even when the going gets tough, and that's what you should focus on for now. It's not failure if you don't lose weight during this time--but you should try not to gain.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh Gamer, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Sending out best wishes to you and your family during this very difficult time.

Please take care of yourself and treat yourself well. You deserve that, no matter what's going on.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

Wink

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope wonderful memories comfort you at this time.

You have a wonderful mindset with WL. I believe there are 7 stages of emotions we all go through with death and it's all dealt with a different way. It's OK. Feel what you need to feel. I wish you the best.
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

So sorry for your loss GAMER
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:46 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Lots of hugs to you
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #8  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm sorry for your loss. It's so hard to lose someone, especially because it adds a bunch of other stressors like the ones you've mentioned... My thoughts are with you and your family. Don't be afraid to grieve in your own way...there's no "right" way to do it.
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Gamer - my deepest sympathies to you and your family as you go through this tough loss
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I'm sorry to hear about your loss!

I've lost family in the past and in the begining I've always felt somewhat numb and just powered through it until the funeral. I think this is normal. Then right after it was all over then came the water fall. When your feelings to start welling up, please let them out! It's okay to cry.

Feel free to vent all you want. I think most everyone would agree that we are here for you whether the difficult times are weight related or not. Although, I think everything in life has the possibility of effecting weight.

It sounds like you have a good head on your sholders and a good plan.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #11  

I said I would stay on plan, but all today I just keep snacking and not feeling satisfied. I'm letting myself have today. For the trip to VA (cause we're going to the funeral), I'm not sure how to eat. I know it'll be fast food stops.

How should I eat through this trip?
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

So sorry for your loss.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Just as the others have said, I'm sorry for your loss. Sometimes it is so difficult being "the kid" in the family. They make decisions that you just don't understand. I hope this won't be too much of a disruption in your weightloss journey.

You're strong. You'll be OK.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I'm really sorry... hang in there...

djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #15  
Walking by faith

Default Gamer Chick...

I was probably about your age when I lost my Nana. She was the most important person in the world to me, and I still miss her almost 40 years later . Everyone's emotions are pretty raw in the aftermath of a loved one's death. Take the time you need to grieve your loss, and be gentle with yourself. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote