Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 08:07 AM   #1  
Running Babe

Default Suppliment Ads in Magazines

It's getting bad, more and more of the fitness-type magazines are accepting more and more ads from Suppliment companies (especially for "diet aids" with ma huang/ephedra in it). I am getting a little suspicious of thsis, one mag was listing the ineffectiveness and the dangers of some of these suppliments and then went on to have an ad by one. I am not totally against 'natural" meds or suppliments by any means (there have been many benefits to stuff such as glucosamine etc, some guys I know use protien shakes as one of their 6 meals etc), but I was curious if anyone else has noticed this trend?

Take care!

Ali
Old 03-21-2002, 12:26 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Actually, pretty much all the fitness/muscle magazines are owned by the supplement companies, so you need to take a lot of info regarding supplements you read in there with a huge grain of salt.

For example:

Shape, Muscle & Fitness, Muscle & Fitness Hers, Flex, etc are all owned by Weider

Muscle Media and Energy for Women are owned by EAS

Oxygen (don't recall the names of their other magazines) is owned by the company that makes Nitro-Tech and Hydroxycut

Those are right off the top of my head...just FYI
Old 03-21-2002, 01:17 PM   #3  
Running Babe

Thanks! That makes tons of sense!

Ali
Old 03-28-2002, 07:39 AM   #4  

Angry

Girls, if you want more information and unbiaised articles with scientific sound backgrounds, try www.Quackwatch.com, it's an independent (Canadian) site that questions quackery, questionable advertisement, products and malpractice and tries to be fair on scientific grounds. It's got lots of information and articles on these kinds (and other kinds) of health products, and although you might not agree with some of the themes and opinions, it's a service to the public and not a secret ad to make you buy anything. Worth a try and have fun (also look at the cheers and jeers section, very funny), greetings from Greece!
Old 03-29-2002, 10:07 PM   #5  

Red face Estrolean--fat burner supreme

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone has used Estrolean Fat Burner Supreme? It's advertised in Oxygen
magazine. Probably just another one of those gimmicks!! I'm watching carbs (again) and wonder if anyone has found a good protein shake that helps motivate the metabolism? THANKS
Old 04-16-2002, 01:56 PM   #6  

Angry

Another great site that has unbiased information regarding all supplements is www.nutros.com. I totally rely on it to cut the facts from the fiction and to let me know about new products etc.. I'm sick of all the adverts in magazines too and you never know if a company is promoting a product coz it's good or coz it's their brand!
Closed Thread