Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/125

Height: 4'11

Exclamation Gyms

Im Trying To Decide What Gym I'd Like To Join, Which Do You Recomend And Why???? And How Much Does It Cost !!!!!!!!! Thankx Ladies!!!!!!!!!
freeqeegrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #2  
Meg

Which ones are close to you?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

A YMCA is always a good place to start. They're often not as expensive, and offer a variety of classes. Plus, they're full of "regular" people of all ages, shapes, and sizes. Not that other gyms aren't, but I've been in some that were used more extensively by bodybuilders training for competitions.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #4  
hara hachi bu

I vote for YMCA, too! Mine is roughly $50/month, but they offer financial assistance quite liberally. I love the crowd - regular people - and they seem to be just a good organization.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #5  

I Have A Ymca,bodies In Motion,la Fitness,ballys,gold Gym, And 24 Hour Fitness All Pretty Close To Me. I Live In The Center Of Los Angeles. Thin Is In Here Lol.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

The best gym i have joined is my Family Y. I love it. I love the classes they offer, my Y seems to have plenty of weights and cardio equipment to go around.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #7  

I Have Been Thinking About The Y But Its Around 50 A Month And Ballys And 24 Hour Fitness Are Both Offering Me 25 Dollars A Month. . .
Old 07-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Can you get a free one-day pass at all the ones you're interested in? Then you can test drive one, and see which one you like. You also have to take into consideration what you're getting for $25 compared to $50, and is the $25 rate a starter rate or is that the rate that you pay long-term.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/230.6/216

Height: 5'4"

Thankyou for posting this! I was about to post the same thing.

I just went out to Bally's website - it seems they give a 2 week free pass, or a $19/month trial. It may be worth checking them out for the 2 weeks - that way you can check it out at different times of the day to find if there's a time that's better fit for you, see what they have to offer, etc, and not lose any money.
Gretchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:03 AM   #10  

i used to go to bally's i didnt like you get what you pay for. the equiptment is old , and everybody there is only there to stare and hit on you. it was very uncomfortable . annnnndddd they stalk you . i changed my number because of them i joined la fitness today . thank you so much for all your help ladies! its so nice there . im very happy with my choice. i little more expensive but worth every penny.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #11  
prepare for the BEST time

I also belong to LA Fitness, I joined a few months ago, they offer discounted memberships to hospitals/police/firefighters, so the price is great at $32.00 a month and 75% off the initiation fee....but it's the hours that got me interested....5AM-midnight and a pool. The place I go is really clean and all the equipment well maintained although it's huge, there are always plenty of staff. they seem to cater to everyone from the muscleheads to seniors and regular folk in between. it's the time of day you go where you are likely to get a different focused crowd.

I like an early morning work-out (because too many excuses to not go as my day goes on)...the PM crowd is more *social*, too many of them yap on their cellphones....
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #12  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Whatever you decide, stay away from Bally's - they suck. The one I attend ALWAYS has broken equipment, doesn't offer many classes, and they WILL stalk you if you're "deciding". The one I used to attend wasn't the cleanest place, and the hot tub they had was always out of order. I can't wait until my contract is up.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote