Old 07-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #1  

Smile Join Us: 1000 minutes in one month challenge - 5% Club and Friends!

Hi Everyone, Shorty has suggested a BRILLIANT idea to get us all moving as we head to midsummer. Starting today, July 10, the goal is to get 1000 minutes of exercise in by August 10. Can you do it? Can you beat it? Can you do the best you can?

The reason this is brilliant is becuase in addition to any regular workouts we do, we can LOOK for extra little brisk walks to take and grab some dumbells during a free moment and add the minutes. That is the energy that makes the difference in how we live our healthy lives - the energy that makes the energy, so to speak!

I hope we can get a few folks from the other groups to join us. It is so simple!

I'm Juno, and have been in the "5% club" since it started in (gulp) June 1998! And the 5% Club and many wonderful friends and 3FC are still here helping me stay healthy and young.

I'm ready. Are you? I'll be checking in tonight with my minutes!

Juno
FitandFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 140/122/tight and toned!

Height: 5'3"

It's so hot today!!! This is a wonderful idea because I need more motivation!! I got on the bike today and went around the track a few times. Two and a half miles in 20 minutes might not sound like much but considering the heat and the usual workout (none), it's a lot for me!

20 minutes down, 980 to go!!
ohmanilovegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #3  

I'm in!

Today I did 60 minute walk/run to preschool and back. Gotta love that double stroller. But man...my quads are crying from the lunges yesterday.

I'm going to the water park with moms and kids this afternoon. I'll fit in some stretching then. Stretching counts!
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Can I join in? This sounds like just the motivation I need to get off my butt more often.
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #5  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

This is just the exercise challenge that I need! I restarted losing weight July 1st and went back to Curves yesterday. I also bought an exercise ball for home workouts.

Count me in!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 PM   #6  

This is so cool - Welcome Ohman, PL and Pita - and Shorty a bit shout to you and thanks for the idea for this terrific challenge. I have my younger daughter enlisted too! For me it was the first Body Pump class in a few (ahem) weeks. I did not count the cooldown so counted 45 mins toward my 1000, so 955 to go! Somehow this idea has gotten me a burst of energy and resolve. Good one!

Would you believe I just had to make myself a little Excel spreadsheet to keep track of it all.

Good for you Ohman for making it happen in the HEAT. Drink your water!
Way to put miles on the stroller Shorty! I think I'll be a little sore from today - shouldn't be too bad - tomorrow will be cardio...
PL I love the Martha Graham quote.
Pita congrats on Curves - and the ball is fun. I have one but sort of forget I have it? Now I can rack up extra minutes with it!

Anyone who joins late can just adjust down the number of minutes to make it right.

Great job!

Juno
Old 07-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #7  

Thanks for starting the thread Juno & excellent idea Shorty!!!

60 on 7/10 & 25 so far today = 915 to go

I have no idea how to make those rulers!!! At one time I was so tech savvy but this job gives me no time. Need to play a bit more on here!
SAB 5% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 319/ticker/190

Thanks, Shorty and Juno! Yes, I would like to join in as well. I'm starting today, 'cause this is the first chance I've had to read these posts.

Gosh, a whole 1000 minutes. Can I make it?
miradoblackwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Got in 60 minutes last night - my softball game was 90mins, but I was only actively playing for 60, while the rest was spent sitting on the hill in between at-bats. 940minutes to go!

Juno - I've got a spreadsheet for all my weight loss stats - weight, exercise, measurements. I'm a big nerd and darn proud of it! And that Martha Graham quote is part of a longer quote that I *love* and is a huge motivation for me.

Everyone - what types of exercise will you be using for your 1000mins?
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #10  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

30 more today at Curves
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #11  

Oh, this is excellent - I don't even have to keep track manually since I joined the YMCA, and am in their "Fitlinxx" program. I log all my activity on their network which I can access from the web, with the incentive of free stuff that I don't need!

Today's the 11th, so we started yesterday, right? I have 120 minutes down already! Yesterday I did my first Pilates class ever (60 minutes of exquisite torture, oh yes, I'll be back), and today another hour of a more conventional workout. Now that the weather is cooling off here, tomorrow I'm planning a hike in a hilly park near my house, the dog will love that.

I have heard for years, and even experienced in the distant past, how much excercise helps your mood. Well, I have been happier in the last month or so than I have been in years (once I got over the "this is killing me" hump). I wish I had started this long ago, but I've started now, and "that's a good thing," in my best Martha voice.
Sheryllynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #12  

Hi everyone! Way to go -

I did another 45 mins today, 40 mins on the treadmill and 5 mins of abs. After the Body Pump yesterday I was suprised at how SORE I was this morning. I didn't think it had been that long, and I went reasonably light on the weights. I love that sore feeling so I know I did something good for myself!

I know that tomorrow is going to be nuts, so my total of 90 minutes means I can make it a bye day if that is how it works out. And, if I can carve a 10 or 15 minute workout somehow, it counts!

HOORAY Sheryl, I'm so glad you are with us. Very cool that you already are at it - I agree that exercise is wonderful for the mood and outlook. Everytime I take a break from exercise and then return I ask myself "why would I ever want to live without this great feeling?" I also sleep like a boulder when I'm getting back in shape.

Good work Pita for Curves. Curves is a great franchise. Remember the movie where they said "If we build it they will come" - well if you go your body won't have a choice, it will respond. Perfect.

PL the spreadsheet is fun. I don't have measurements on it, but I go more by how tight my jeans are etc. I can see myself tweaking it over time. Good for you with a big 60 mins. To answer your question, in summer mostly I hike (I'm a brisk walker) and go to Body Pump. I also use the treadmill, which I like to do at a walk on a 6.0 incline, and use the elliptical. I attend Body Pump classes, which is endurance weight training set to music, an excellent program in my opinion. If I do weights at home I do some sort of Joyce Vedral modified thing. At the club I can do free weights and/or machines. I'm open to other ideas. I may dust off my jogging shoes!

Mirado, welcome! 1000 is a lot of minutes, let's all aim for it - if someone ends up with less minutes then the next month the goal would be to meet or beat your minutes from the last month! Let us know how you did today.

YAH Steph. I don't know how to make the rulers either, but there is a sticky about it on the admin page. Maybe I'll make one for my minutes.

Great Work everyone. Thanks for joining, each and every one of you.

Juno
Old 07-12-2007, 10:08 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 319/ticker/190

Okay, first post--
55 minute walk yesterday--
1000 - 55 = 945 minutes to go!
miradoblackwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #14  

Default WooHoo!!

So glad to have you all join us! What a perfect time of year to start something like this, too.

In our city we have another challenge called the Low Car Diet. I'm not officially doing it, but we have been trying to use our car less (and we run biodiesel in our truck). So I've been walking my 3 yo to preschool and yesterday we walked to the farmer's market. It's really for exercise, but I'm glad I'm not using gas, too.

I'm using shows I Tivo off of Lifetime for non-aerobic stuff. I really like My Workout as it's varied and fun. They had a great one on last week called The Slouch Buster, which I really need. Even walking with the double jogger I'm leaning forward a little. I also like good ol' Denise Austin because she's so perky and her moves are really solid an easy to understand.

So here's where I am:
Weights/floor exercises: total 95 minutes
Walking/running: total 140 minutes
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 140/122/tight and toned!

Height: 5'3"

30 minutes bike riding and 10 minutes video aerobox. I felt foolish when people walked in so... I stopped and put some pants on

60 out of 1000! My first hour is complete. Plan on lots more tomorrow (hopefully double)

Shorty, you're almost 1/3 done!!
impressive
ohmanilovegod is offline   Reply With Quote