General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #1  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Default Flight Assistance, Please!

Has anyone been flying in the USA recently?

I am flying from California to New York and wanted to know if anyone has information on the latest restrictions for bringing items in/on/under the plane or any recent experiences. Any assistance will be appreciated! Oh, good vibes, prayers and positive thoughts welcome as well.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #2  
I See Less Every Day

Go to www.tsa.gov

Click on the "for travelers" tab it will give you all the info you need on prohibited items and items that have specific amount maximums(like liquids)

Give yourself plenty of time to get through security and expect to take off you shoes.

Good Luck on your flight!
clessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I just flew this weekend.

The rule for liquids is 1 - 1 -3. You get one ziploc bag, measuring 1 quart, which can contain as many containers of liquids and gels as will fit comfortably, providing they are under 3 oz. volume each (and thats the size of the bottle, not the remaining contents of the bottle). This baggie has to run through the scanner separately, along with your shoes, sweatshirt/coat, and all your carry-on baggage.

In terms of good thoughts, I'm taking that to mean you're afraid to fly. PM me if you want additional info on flying, why its safe, and resources to reassure yourself before you fly (lets just say I am a mostly-recovered terrified flyer, and know a LOT about why planes are safe because I counteract fear with research).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

Oh, and prepare yourself...there is ALWAYS turbulence over Nebraska. I'm not sure why, but there it is. I have never flown cross country without it. So know its coming and that you'll get through it just fine...I always have.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Amanda and Paige have you taken care of as far as what you can and can't have on the plane. I will say make sure you are there in PLENTY of time to get through the check in.

If you are flying out of Lindberg on a early morning flight and do curbside check in it is way easy and quick through the check in.

Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I ended up packing all my liquids in my check in luggage because I just didn't want to deal with it and I also wanted more than 3 ozs of some items.

Gary, I have never had a problem with SAN except an occasional long line in the security lines in terminal 2. I just flew from there on Monday and I walked right up to the counter, no waiting.

I personally enjoy flying for the most part. Sure you are in a tight space with lots of strangers but it gets you where you need to go fairly fast. DH and I even got stuck in Chicago the week before last trying to get to San Diego and still I don't regret flying. Although sitting at the gate for 3 hours made me consider stepping off the plane and just going home Although I guess I've been pretty lucky, I've been on dozens of flights in the last few years and I've never had to deal with major issues and last week was the first time.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:22 AM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Bring healthy snacks, especially for that long of a flight. Any solid food can go though security--this includes fruit (I usually bring apples and bananas), nuts, energy bars, sugar-free candy/gum, etc. For a cross-country flight, I would also pack a sandwich unless I know for sure I can get something healthy at the airport. Once you are on the plane, the only healthy food available will be what you brought with you. The snack boxes they sell are terrible--all sugary and high fat stuff.

Wear shoes that you can easily slip on and off, since you'll have to take them off to get through security. If you are squeamish about walking on filthy airport floors in barefeet, bring or wear socks.

I never check luggage if I can help it. I've had too many bags lost (including one lost and never found again--I'm certain it was stolen) and I hate waiting for them. I follow the 1-1-3 rule and I keep that plastic bag in an outer pocket of my bag where I can easily get to it. I've never had a problem going through security. I've even packed peanut butter and jelly in it for my sandwich.

If I do have to check luggage, I always bring a change of clothes in my carry-on. I also bring any medication and cosmetics that I don't want to be without in my carry-on. And, nowadays I also bring my gym clothes/shoes in my carry-on because I don't want to have to miss a workout just because the airline lost my luggage.

If your airline offers the ability to print your boarding pass from home, definitely do this at the earliest opportunity. If you wait until you get to the airport, you get stuck with the seat nobody else wants.

I hope you have a smooth flight with no delays! I used to fly all the time (now it's down to under ten trips per year, for a while I was on a plane every two weeks), and I've experienced every travel nightmare you can imagine...lost luggage, 24 hour delays, re-routed 2,000 miles out of my way, plane hit by lightening, aborted landings, emergency stops for refueling, crying babies, illness...you name it, I've probably gone through it except that I've never been involved in an accident or any situation that was dangerous or unsafe. The fact is, travel by plane is far, far safer than travel by car.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #8  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Thank you all so much! Each and everything you've shared is helping me
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #9  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Also, don't forget that being on a plane is dehydrating (or at least that's what I've always been told), so drink plenty of water!

I'm surprised to hear about being able to bring fruits and such onto planes. I swear I thought I heard one TSA person shouting out that food (she may have said something to the effect of unpackaged stuff) couldn't be brought in, so we needed to throw it away if we had any... and that was like 3 weeks ago flying from IAH (Houston) to BWI (Baltimore). I could just be having flashbacks from when I used to regularly fly internationally when I lived in the Netherlands... haha.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

Last weekend food was definitely allowed...i brought snack bars and some apple crisps. Also, not sure what airline you are flying, but JetBlue has genuinely healthy snacks. I mean, they may not be perfect nutritionally, but their snacks are mostly in the 100-cal-pack range, and they had these organic, natural, trans-fat-free oatmeal apple cookies...they were TO DIE FOR.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #11  
Meg

I flew last week and didn't have any problem bringing food through security. There weren't any signs prohibiting it or any announcements. I always pack lots of healthy snacks because airport food is just about the worst in terms of healthy choices.

You have to buy your water on the other side of security, though. It's OK to pack an empty water bottle and fill it on the other side, if you prefer.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Lindsey,
I've only heard restrictions on food when it is an agricultural issue. I know there are some issues between certain locations such as from the US to Hawaii and maybe vice versa. Also California used to be pretty strict about bringing in certain items. I flew 2 days ago and had tons of food with us... DH needs constant snacks
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Get to the airport at least two hours before your flight.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 298/268/150

Height: 5'0"

And if the seat belts don't quite fit all the way, ask for a selt belt extender.
TeresaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I am also flying in a few months and terrified. I never used to be too scared of flying.. but since it's been a long time, I think, I'm not a happy camper. I want to skip the vacation altogether, to be honest. So yes, I feel your pain.

: to you!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote