Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #28

I thought since Jean was 17 on the other one, I might as well just start a new thread. Hope everyone's weekend has started out well.

Susan: We were posting at the same time so I didn't see your post until Jean made mention of Stan's surgery and I went back and looked to see what she was talking about. I am sorry you guys had to go all through that. Drs can be such idiots at time. My sister is having a blood clot issue that started way back in February. First off, her doctor put her on birth control pills for another issue, which is dangerous when you are 51, then this which I am thinking were caused by the birth control pills. The doctor she has been seeing has said no compression stockings at all and he sent her to a vascular surgeon this last week and he climbed all over her about wearing her compressions stockings all the time! The poor woman tried to explain to him her other doctor refused and he wasn't having any of it. He told her there would be no surgery until at least October, that she had to stay on the blood thinner until then and wear the stockings. She said, "I don't have stockings, he didn't want me to wear them!" I have seen several cat hair knitting projects. She just brushes her long haired cat and saves it then spins it. I guess if it works on the pets...

Jean: I guess when we are in our 80's if we make it that far, we won't want to wear hearing devices and such either. Sometimes it is hard to admit you need them, though I would rather hear than not hear. Of course, it may be she doesn't want to hear certain things and this can be an excuse!

I only have about 3 inches and the darn sleeve is done and I can set it in and sew it and be done with the thing. I got bored last night so switched to knitting on the baby's hat. I did find this beautiful pattern for a sweater in my size. I guess I might be able to squeeze it in next year sometime, but then when I lose weight, will it fit???

Couldn't resist posting a pic of my two grandsons together. I think it is so cute. They went to the zoo together this last week. I think Tom, Kelly, and Thomas are coming home either today or tomorrow. The chubby one and the skinny one!

Everyone have a good Saturday. I am off to do morning chores and get some knitting time in before I go to the pool.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:16 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is hot, hot, hot! I was the best customer the gift shop had this morning as I bought several sympathy cards to have on hand. I didn't even have any lookers which is unusual. Beth and kids were here when I got home. Bob bought sweet corn so grilled hot dogs and ate sweet corn. I could OD on the corn with no problem! The kids needed naps and were so crabby that Beth left about 4. I felt bad because she had to drive through a one lane construction area to get here and had planned to stay for supper. Her two get very whiney when they are tired and won't give up to take a nap.

"Gma" -- Thanks for starting the new thread. I hate it when there are two different doctors and each have their own method of treatment. I hope your sister gets along ok. That's what my FIL ran into in AZ only he had several doctors and none of them coordinated anything with the others. It was very frustrating. MIL is just plain stubborn about some things! When Bob's brother was here she told him she needed new batteries. My guess is she left them in AZ! She also has selective hearing at times. The picture is cute! Thanks for sharing it with us. Has anyone gotten kicked out of the pool yet?

I'm off to do some more laundry. It seems like we wear more clothes when it is hot, change more often, or something! Have a relaxing evening and a super Sunday tomorrow. We are staying home alone! YEAH!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:42 AM   #3  

Fortune had to go to the bathroom so I just decided to stay downstairs and knit. I finally finished Tom's sweater and Jack graciously modeled it for me so I could take a pic. I was told to machine wash and dry acryllic yarned patterns to even out the stitches so I did and it really did even out the stitches. It also made it really nice and soft and smells good from the dryer sheet! The pattern looks good on Jack so I think I am going to use the original color pattern, which is a set of stripes at the bottom and make him an orange, black and white sweater next year, maybe for Father's Day since he is a big Tony Stewart fan. (when you bring up the pic of the sweater, maximize it and it won't seem so blurry) I also finished the baby's hat. It is tucked a bit on the vase so it is a bit longer than this.

We just hung out at the house yesterday. I went to the store and picked up a few things in the morning, but that was pretty much it except for going to the pool and getting in some laps. I wanted to get the sweater finished.

Jean: Yum hot dogs and sweet corn. My mom used to make them with fresh fried potatoes and onions and set out a plate of red ripe sliced tomatoes. It is probably my fondest summer memory. Too bad Amanda not only had to leave and deal with construction, but with two grumpy kids yesterday. Sounds like you had an exciting day at the gift shop.... At least you had one good customer!

I am going to tackle the downstairs today I think depending on my gumption. I really need to and Jack doesn't have any race stuff or ballgame stuff on tv so that won't conflict. He brings his laptop downstairs on race days because he has trackpass on his laptop and he can listen in on Tony Stewart's conversations with his pit crew. There are all these cords and such and makes it too difficult to clean when it is all down here so I don't do it.

Other than that, nothing exciting. Oh, we did get the baby's birth photos yesterday and I got the yarn for Kelly's sweater, which is a gorgeous purple blue and the cashmere for Alicia's scarf, which is pretty too. They are both really soft soft yarns.

Have a good Sunday everyone!
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is another HOT day . . . the TV says it is 92 degrees and my thermometer agrees for once. We went to church and now I am working on the laundry while Bob is working on the dried mold in the basement. He wants to build some shelves; he has to be in the mood to get started but watch out when he does!

"Gma" -- The sweater and hat both look great! I can't believe how fast you finish your projects. One thing about knitting is that you can't eat and knit at the same time! Hope you got your cleaning done that you wanted to do. You are so ambitious!

Bob is ready to make a trip to the paint store and wants me to pick out a color so I'm off. Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #5  

Good morning gals. I am going to start the post then leave it on the screen, go swim and come back and finish it. I obviously did not have gumption yesterday as I did nothing except knit. Ahh well, it isn't like I was having company and the house is not filthy and always is straight so no one would notice anyway except stupid me.

Jean: Thanks about the knitting stuff. I am almost done now with the back of Thomas's sweater and should get it done and the front started today. Sounds like Bob has some really honey do's ahead of him.

I bought some really nice fresh cherries and nectarines this weekend that I will get to enjoy this week. I have the nectarines in a brown bag trying to get them to ripen some more before eating.

I had a really nice swim this morning. It was nice going to the pool and not finding a mess to clean up. I guess she is doing her job. The pool water is really nice and warm and it is refreshing as the humidity here and the heat this summer is unbearable almost.

Well, need to start tackling the cleaning!

Have a good start to your week!

Faye
Old 07-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! I'm up, read the papers, ate breakfast, showered, dressed, and ready for my physical at 10:10 this morning. I always ask for the first appt. of the day -- last year it was right after lunch. I hate waiting around! I bought a bread machine yesterday and plan to make bread when I get home.

"Gma" -- You are so lucky to be able to have the pool to yourself and swim at your leisure! Bob loves fresh cherries, but the ones in the store haven't looked the best. I wish we had more stores to shop in. I plan to get back to my sorting project after my appt. and grocery run. Bob wants to pull the washer and dryer out tonight so I want the laundry stuff out of the way for him.

Susan -- Hope your day at work is going well.

Well, the washer should be finished and I need to write a couple of cards. Have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #7  

Good morning, ladies. Not a good day today. My boss's wife (early 50's) died of a heart attack Friday. He was in LA, due to come home Saturday night. His daughter found her Mom. She got in touch with her dad finally on Saturday and he left LA for Quito to get his other daughter. She went to MI to tell her mom's parents. She'll be back today. Too much for a 25 year old to have to deal with alone. They have no relatives here. He left me a VM because he wanted to tell me himself and didn't have my home phone number with him. I suppose the funeral will be Saturday. They don't get back from Ecuador until Wednesday so it might even be next week. Meanwhile, I'll hold down the fort.

Faye, I love the colors for Jack IV and the sweater for Tom is gorgeous. Lucky people to have you knitting for them.

Jean, how did the bread turn out?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:58 AM   #8  

Good morning all! Hope your day is starting out well.

Susan: I am so very sorry to hear about your bosse's wife. What an incredibly terrible tragedy for them all. How is Stan doing this week since they didn't do the surgery?

Jean: How did the ole physical go? Not to many complaints, I hope. I just got an email from my closest friend and she was telling me that they had rented a storage unit to put all the stuff from her house that they sold when she got married about 4 years ago. She said she was determined to get it cleaned out and she had, but now her garage is full. She says she has been working on it, but it takes time. Especially since she said she has found photos taken by her dad of Jack and I's wedding, photos of Jay as a baby and stuff like that. I told her I have a friend who lives in Iowa who talks about her "piles" all the time!

I am going to tackle the upstairs bathrooms today I guess. I got the downstairs cleaned yesterday and finished the back of Thomas's sweater so I can start the front today. I ended up ripping out the whole baby's hat because I think it was too big. I am going to go back and do another gauge swatch and see if I can make one I think would fit better. I am thinking about starting on Alicia's scarf before I go back to that though. It should be an easy knit up.

Not much else going on in my world. We had a thunderstorm roll through yesterday and Jack's plant is out by the TVA Allen electrical facility. Lightening hit one of the electrical towers,one of their smokestacks and a telephone pole. I guess it was real fireworks out there. Jack said they completely lost telephone service and they have some issues with some of the stuff at work not working properly or not at all. He called me to warn me about the storm as it hit there first and just as the phone rang the first peal of thunder hit here. I told him he was too late the storm beat him to it! lol

Everyone have a good Tuesday and try and stay cool!

Faye
Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #9  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers! I'm in between items on my "to do" list for the day so thought I would check in here. We are supposed to get some rain today and I hope we do. The yards are brown and the crops are beginning to show some stress.

Susan -- That is too bad about your boss's wife. It's sad that their daughter found her and had to make the initial contacts. Didn't the wife go on vacation with him? I am making bread as I type!

"Gma" -- I'm good for another year! They are encouraging "older" people to get the shingles shot; evidently they are happening more frequently and are more apt to happen to older people; the after effects can be worse the older one is. Both my mom and stepmom have had them and I know they are very painful. The shot is $205 and my insurance will cover it since I am over 60. I have lab work on Sat. morning and my mammo scheduled for the 26th. We discussed my MIL a bit, so I didn't even get the annual "eat less and exercise more" talk. We did rent a storage unit right after my dad died and sorted from there for a year. Jason and Amanda took most of the furniture and the boxes came to my basement.

I'm off to the next item on my list -- ironing! Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #10  

Good morning! Just a quick one since things are a bit hectic here.

Faye, I wish you could send us some rain. It's going to be 100 degrees today. Everything is drying up.

Jean, they didn't go on a lot of trips together. She didn't like to travel and hated to fly. She was content to stay home with a good book by the pool.

The surgery my dh is having is just to remove the catheter he no longer needs and not affecting his health now. They just want to be sure the graft is working well and the underarm incision is healed before they take it out.

Quilt guild tonight so I have that to look forward to.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 AM   #11  

Good morning gals! Boy am I sore this morning. Yesterday after posting that I was going to clean the bathrooms, which I did, I took a shower, slipped in the tub and went over the tub backwards, tearing down the shower rod, the curtains and whacking myself pretty good. I was lucky, as my bad knee didn't dislocate, but I am pretty muscle sore this morning. We have a vanity area with the sink in one room then the other room has the tub/shower and the toilet. The room is small and I was lucky I didn't really hurt myself on the toilet. I was having trouble getting my knee to bend back far enough to get my feet untangled past the tub through the door entrance so I could get up, though. I needed to get the water turned off before I had a real mess. I hope it doesn't continue to rain so I can get out in the pool and gently swim some of the soreness out.

Susan: Hope you had a nice time at quilt guild. I am sure glad they finally seem to have Stan all straightened around. We have pretty much gotten a few days of rain in the evening. Yesterday morning while I was swimming the clouds moved in, then rained, then quit but it started raining again in the late afternoon.

Jean: My mom got shingles and they were pretty miserable for her. I wonder though if you had chicken pox as a kid if you are immuned or not as they are the adult version of chicken pox from what I understand.

I didn't feel like working on the sweater yesterday so just sat and read a book most of the day after I fell. I did put a heating pad on my back for a bit and got up and moved around as much as I could so I wouldn't get stiff, but I am sore this morning from sleeping I guess and the wet weather adds to it a bit.

I have started the front of the sweater this morning and want to make up some lost ground so to speak so I am going to get on it. I need to vacuum upstairs, but it may have to wait until tomorrow.

We only have a few weeks left until vacation and it can't come soon enough for me. We are certainly ready for some us time where we aren't visiting with anyone or catering to what someone else wants to do. Hang out at the pool, a couple shows, some gambling and site seeing and we will be ready to face the fall. It is horribly hot there right now though, over 110 most days and doesn't get under 90 at night so I am glad we are renting a car. I am not going to walk very far in heat like that. The first year we were there I got a nose bleed from the dry heat and I looked at their tv station online and they said the humidity has been around 3% this year. The gas is also outrageous. It is something like $3.25 to our $2.80. We probably won't venture a long way from the strip except to make a trip downtown as we have never seen the Fremont street canopy.

Well, I need to clean out the litter box and get back to knitting until I go swim.

Have a good Wednesday, girls!

Faye
Old 07-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #12  

Faye, I hope you are feeling better. Thank heavens you didn't break a bone or hit your head.

We had 3 drops of rain last night. We might be lucky enough to get more today, however.

Quilt guild was fun and I won a door prize so that was good, too.

My boss is supposed to be in today. I really dread this first meeting. I'll probably start crying and then the tenants will think he was hollering at me or something and ask questions. He really shouldn't even be coming in but he wants to sign the pay checks. I could take them to his house, but he "doesn't want to bother me."

I'm starting another pair of socks tonight. Not being the knitter Faye is, I just want to get 2 pair done by Christmas for my best friends.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #13  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I am taking a break from a bedroom closet where Bob hangs his suits and sport coats. I am embarrassed to report that I have 3 different sizes of slacks in there and some still have price tags on them! What is the matter with me anyhow? I know some need to be shortened. A few years ago I got smart and didn't buy any slacks that weren't marked "short." I do know someone, besides me, that can shorten slacks so will try them on and if they fit I will give her a call. I know I will never get to them. *sigh*

"Gma" -- I can just imagine how sore you must be! I'm so glad you didn't break anything or knock yourself out in the process. According to my doctor if you have had chicken pox you are more likely to get shingles because the virus lies dormant in your system. The part I really took notice to is that the older you are, if you get them, the more serious and ongoing the after effects can be . . . mainly pain. I'd just as soon not take a chance on getting them. The shot decreases that chance by 50%, but if you do get the shingles the severity is decreased by 50 - 75%. At age 65 they are promoting the pneumonia shot. How long will you be in Vegas? I like to watch the travel channel and sometimes they will have a Vegas visit. Someday I would like to go although I'm not a gambler; I just like to people watch.

Susan -- We've had several of those "few drops of rain" and we could use an all day rain! Good luck with your socks! What color/design are you making this pair? Vacationing without your spouse doesn't sound like much fun to me, but to each his own. I hope your boss gets along ok . . . losing his wife is a shock, I'm sure.

I need to keep moving . . . on to the pile of slacks and the Goodwill box! Have a nice rest of the day and a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:31 AM   #14  

Good morning ladies, hope you are well. I was a bit uncomfortable this morning so decided to get up and do a couple things on the computer than sit and knit for awhile. I may just stay up until Jack gets up than go back to bed for a couple hours.

I started my dil's scarf with a record 5 times frogging and I noticed a mistake a couple rows back so will have to rip it back again. I put it away for now to concentrate on Thomas's sweater. I don't want to get too frustrated with it at the moment. I was going to try and get it done for her birthday instead, which is the 21st, but with the trouble I am having that isn't going to happen so I will shoot for Christmas.

Jean: That is the one cool thing about Vegas. You don't have to gamble to enjoy yourself. There are lots of free things to look at. For example, Caesar's Palace has this huge production thing where these huge mannequins that move and talk do this story and they have a shorter version of something else in another part of the shopping area. Treasure Island has an outdoor free show about pirates and sirens, there is the lion habitat at MGM grand that is free, a little boring, but free. The Venetian has these Shaksperean like players who sing and the Rio has this carnivale type show that from what I understand is pretty cool we haven't even seen yet. If you like music, for the price of a drink, (could be soft drink doesn't have to be alcohol) you can see dueling Pianos at Harrahs, Big Elvis at Bill's (which I am looking forward to this trip)and the Irish pub at the Orleans has something almost every night. That is besides all the shows you can go to that you pay for. They have a Madame Tussaud's Was museum and a couple of the hotels have art museums. That doesn't count the shopping and just wandering around looking at all the places you can shop. The Bellagio has a conservatory that they have all decorated according to seasons or special holidays. I imagine it will be the Eagle theme when we are there again since we will be there Labor Day. We do very little gambling actually as that is not where we want to spend our money. People watching in that city is a total trip, especially at the pool. When Jack and I stayed at the Orleans we would get a drink and sit and people watch for at least an hour everyday. It was a blast because some people just don't get that a speedo or bikini is not for them! I particularly remember the 60+ overweight woman in the leopard print bikini. The thing was, she thought she was gorgeous in it, fake tan, fake nails, fake hair color and all. We are just going for a few days around Labor Day. We got this special deal, but I looked yesterday and I think they wanted $200 for a Labor Day stay. We got it for close to nothing with the special thingy we had.

Susan: I discovered why I haven't attempted socks yet, small needles! I am using 4-5 on T's sweater and I can get tired really easily and my hands can hurt doing the sweater. The 5's aren't too bad, but I dreaded doing the ribbing in the 4's. So, I haven't even attempted them yet.

Everyone have a great Thursday!

Faye
Old 07-12-2007, 12:00 PM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers! I am feeling lazy today too! I have been outside working on my flowers -- they are dry, but supposedly rain is on the way. If not, I'll water tonight. Bob and I are going to the grocery store, of all places, for stroke screening tests this afternoon. It is a mobile unit that comes to town and is much cheaper than the hospital; our doctor says the tests are just as good. Bob's dad had an aneurysm on the aorta which can run in families so I make his appointment for him.

"Gma" -- Hope you are feeling better by now. What is "frogging" that you mentioned? Bob has been to Vegas several years ago when his company had a meeting out there. Now I wish I would have gone along, but the kids were still at home, etc., etc., etc. I am always amazed at the attire that people will wear in public. We saw quite a bit in Maui . . . lots of people parading around in swimsuits that should have had cover-ups on! A friend of mine found $77 airline tickets, online, on 7/7/07 -- it was for a few hours time period and she just happened to see it. I'm never that lucky.

I need to keep working on my sorting . . . a piled desk in what used to be Jason's room is next. Have a great day!

Jean -- from Iowa!