Old 07-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #1  
Started June 1st '07

S/C/G: 205/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Veggies -hold the salad please

I'm really trying, honest. I'm not a salad person - I've eaten more salads in the past 2 days than I have in MY LIFE.
Today I tried adding spinach to my lettuce.

I don't think I can keep this up - I don't enjoy salads - with out all the goodies I shouldn't add anyways.

Anyone out there in the same boat? If so - how do you get your veggies in - with out drinking them all (V8) ?
Snowdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #2  
Norissa on LAWL

Height: 5'3

do you like tomatoes ? I like cutting them up, sometimes I will add a cucumber and red onion, and add a FF Italian dressing to them -- or I will make some cole slaw - there is a dressing that is called Hendrick's that I use - which is a tasty for me to get my veggies in -- heck sometimes I just grab a carrot - LOL
Mom_of_3_Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #3  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Cucumbers sprinkled with lime juice and salt, sliced tomatoes with lemon juice and salt or RF miracle whip, steamed broccoli, steamed cauliflower mashed with salt and pepper, FF cream cheese or FF half and half, cooked spinach or beet greens with butter spray and vinegar, zuchinni and yellow squash, spray with butter spray, sprinkle with garlic powder and grill, or slice and saute in butter spray with onions and cherry tomatoes, sprinkled with parmesean cheese......the list is endless.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #4  
Norissa on LAWL

Height: 5'3

Katie is a lot more creative than I am - LOL
Mom_of_3_Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #5  
Restart lawl 7-14-08

S/C/G: 150.2/?/127

Height: 5'5"

Hi Snowdogs,

I don’t enjoy salad, and I do not crave veggies or fruit. I must make an effort to eat enough of them. I do love V8 but am trying to eat whole foods for now.

1. Heat up frozen veggies like broccoli or stir fry mix (careful of ingredients in the mixes); make sure you read the label and they don’t have salt added. Top with one of the Mrs. Dash blends.
2. Eat raw snow peas. They satisfy my craving for crunch and are strangely fresh and sweet tasting.
3. Grill veggies like sliced peppers or zucchini with a spray of PAM in a skillet and heat them to the desired texture. This adds more flavor than steaming, but I know it is not what LA recommends. You can spray it with I can’t believe it’s not butter spray.
4. In the summer, slice garden fresh tomatoes into a skillet with fresh basil and a sprinkling of low fat mozzarella heated just until the cheese melts.

Like I said this is a struggle for me, but I am able to do it!
hollyak24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #6  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

I LOVE salad--if someone else makes it! Otherwise getting in the veggies (without V-8) is tough for me. I have found that grilling is my favorite so I just throw a bunch of zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, onion in the grilling basket then i have enough for a few days. Not much help so I hope someone out there post some really great ideas. I canNOT do steamed.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #7  
Amy

Snowdogs, I totally understand! I use baby carrots for a snack dipped in FF ranch, or celery with PB and raisins for a snack too, to get one out of the way.

Thanks for the suggestions, Katie!
JerseyMadchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #8  
FBD/8-18-08

OMG - We are not salad people either, but dh and I eat a LOT of veggies! Yellow squash or zuchinni sauteed in olive oil with fresh garlic.
Fresh tomatoes, red onion, sliced cucumbers in vinegar with splenda or in lite italian, or in olive oil and balsamic vinegar... or just lt. salt and pepper.
Cabbage sauteed in olive oil with red pepper flakes.
Cabbage steamed with onions and ICBINB spray.
Green peppers and onions on almost anything - including our omelettes (SP?)
Sauteed brocolli and peppers and onions in omelettes.
Stuffed peppers with turkey italian sausage/onions/peppers/tomato sc.
We eat all sorts of greens either sauteed or boiled with a smoked turkey leg for that "southern" taste.
Veggie lasagne.
I add veggies to my spaghetti sauce.
Spaghetti squash instead of noodles.
Acorn squash baked or steamed....
Take a look around the recipe section and be adventurous! You'll be surprised what you might like. Your taste will change as you get used to a healthier lifestyle!
Blessings,
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #9  
-- Karen --

S/C/G: 165/143/140

Height: 5' 6"

I could eat salad everyday if someone else made it for me. Even though I have to make it, I still eat salad almost every day.

I do a lot of the same things that have been mentioned here. Plus a few others:

mix together carrots, onions, zucchinni, asparagus - whatever with a little olive oil, and roast them in the oven or on the bbq, and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar.

chop up cabbage, mix with chinese noodles (the soup like ichiban) throw in green onion, and slivered almonds. Dressing is some oil, the soup seasoning, and soysauce. Top with chicken or shrimp if you like. This is my kids favourite, and its really good one day as a salad, and warm up the next day like a chow mein.

The other thing I do is a stir fry chow mein with cabbage, and any veggie in the fridge, and left over meat. Its a great way to use up leftovers.

I also love toasted veggie sandwiches - tomatoes, cucumber, sprouts, and mayo on whole grain toasted bread.

I have no trouble getting my veggies in at all .

Hope some of these ideas help you.
slim n trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #10  

Height: 5'2"

Hi All,
First off, be careful and do not eat carrots every day. They are high in sugar.
Here are additional ideas -
Grilled or baked asparagus - put stalks on aluminum foil and spray with PAM and add no salt seasoning. Grill or bake for 10-15 minutes.

Strawberry rhubarb sauce- take 1/2 cup of rhubarb and put it in a microwave safe dish and sprinkle a little water on the rhubarb. Then add just 1 tsp of ff, sf, dry strawberry jello powder and microwave for 4 minutes at medium power or until the rhubarb is mushy. Delish - I just finished eating it now. I purchased 2 bunches of rhubarb at the farmers' market Saturday and I will cut it into small pieces and freeze it for future use.

I also bought snow peas and sugar snap peas at the farmers' market.

I like raw cabbage - it is crunchy and filling.

I try to eat most of my veggies raw.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/213/150

Height: 5'7

I have been there and done that. i was never a salad person but once you learn to add in other veggies to it , like grape tomatoes and peppers they add up.

We also have adopted making stir fry now. we get it Aldis its just a bunch of mixed veggies-broc, pea pods, water chestnuts , carrots etc. and mix that up with some shrimp or grilled chicken breast. It is our favorite meal now!

Its something that i got really used to after a couple weeks, now I think nothing of it.
I think it helps me getting all the veggies in with the stir fry thats 2 servings for me in and then 2 to do go. eat 4 little tomatoes and there is another veggie right there!
6digmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #12  
Wendy II

S/C/G: 206/201/160

Height: 5'4"

I eat broccoli-slaw (comes cut up in a bag) and then use ff mayo and a small sprinkle of Splenda.. voila! Coleslaw ala LAWL.
Wendelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #13  

In that it's summer, I'm lovin' grilling veggies on my outside grill. One of my favorite things is grilled eggplant. I often stuff a whole wheat pita w/ grilled eggplant and about 1/2 oz. of sharp cheddar (yes, the full-fat version--it's only about 55 calories). It's delicious!

Also, just for the heck of it, I decided to try grilling whole carrots. I sprayed them with cooking spray and grilled them for about 10-15 minutes. They were terrific!

I do like salad, but sometimes I'm just too lazy to make it. When I'm not in the mood, I might eat some other veggies raw: Cucumbers w/ hummus, grape tomatoes & red onion w/ feta cheese & a vinagrette, etc.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #14  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Pearl- Yum, I love fried cabage.

Veggie pizza on an english muffin or pita is a good option. I also love to saute onions and mushrooms together to serve with burgers or steaks....or chicken.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:20 PM   #15  
New Haven, CT

S/C/G: 200/see slider/145

Height: 5'4"

I got my family to eat cauliflower by roasting it. Just break it up into large florets, toss with a tiny bit of oil, some salt and garlic or sliced onions, spread it out on a baking sheet and pop into the oven at 425 until lightly browned on the edges. It's delicious- doesn't taste remotely like cauliflower. You can also do this on the grill.

I also make pickles out of cucmbers- slice them thinly, toss with thinly sliced onions, a little vinegar, a little salt and a pinch of sugar. Let them sit for about an hour before serving.
judi826 is offline   Reply With Quote