Old 06-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #1  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Non Soy Bars

Does anyone know of a bar that is not soy based than can be substituted for lites? I would so buy the lites, if I could do soy. I am wondering if somewhere like GNC or something has anything whey based. Anyone have any ideas? I would really like to try mixing my plan up a bit by adding bars, but I cannot do soy.......I know i have asked this ???? before, but maybe someone new has info.
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #2  
Felicia

S/C/G: 323/TBA/145

Height: 5'6"

I found some on deliciousorganics.com. Pricey, but non-soy.
bayoubelle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #3  
Post-Master

hey, check this out.....
http://www.nutritionexpress.com/bars...e+12+bars.aspx
seems pretty close...
Old 06-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #4  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Nicole - at the very bottom of the ingredients it says soy lecithen..is that okay? If you do add these, I think I'd do just one each day..here's why. The bars you show have 11G of fat (LA Lites have 4G of fat); only1g of fiber (LA Lites have 3g). The protein grams are high and that is a good thing.

Another option would be to look for some recipes and make your own...if I weren't so darn lazy, I would do that....I just googled "recipes for whey protein bars" and got a bunch of hits...e.g.

If you don't like the additives in store-bought nutrition bars or hate paying $3 for a meal replacement bar or protein bar snack, you'll appreciate this recipe. These are quick to make and make for a nice little snack, too. Best of all, they contain healthy dietary fat, are no-sugar added and do not contain glycerine or other unnatural ingredients.

INGREDIENTS:
5 tablespoons natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1/2 cup dry oats or whole grain hot cereal (uncooked)
1/2 cup oat flour * (double the oats if you do not have oat flour)
6 scoops low-carb chocolate whey protein (or about ~132 grams protein)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flax seeds (optional)
1 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 cup water (depending on what type of protein you use, you may need more)

Directions:
Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well. Add peanut butter and mix - the mixture will be crumbly and dry. Add water & vanilla. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, everything until a dough forms. The dough will be sticky. Spread dough into pan using a clean wooden spoon or spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Refrigerate a few hours (or freeze for an hour) and cut into 9 squares. Wrap bars individually (use sandwich bags or plastic wrap) or store in covered container between sheets of wax paper. Keep refrigerated.

Modifications: Use vanilla protein and replace ~1/4 cup of the oatflour with a variety of nuts, seeds, or dried berries. Chopped almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts, flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, or dried cranberries would all work well.

* Making Oatmeal/Oat Flour: To make your own oat flour, all you need to do is put a cup or two of oatmeal in a regular household blender and blend it on high...it will turn into a flour. Store in a covered bowl in the pantry. It takes 1 minute and is VERY easy and cheap alternative to buying in the store.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:

197 calories, 21 g protein, 7.2 g fat (8% saturated), 13.7 g carbohydrate, 1.6 g fiber

Last edited by Joni135; 06-28-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 PM   #5  
Post-Master

Thanks Joni..........not a bad idea at all...........
Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #6  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

I like that idea too, Joni. I'll e-mail it off to the dietician and see what they say.
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 AM   #7  

Joni - do you bake these or eat as-is?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

There you go Baker Nicole!!! get baking! I would like to order 2 dozen............. HEY!!! THERE IS YOUR ONLINE BUSINESS!!!! WEIGHT LOSS BARS.! I saw a thing on Sunday Morning once that showed teens who have their own businesses, and one of them made caramels in his little kitchen and sold them through a web page online. you could make bars and send it out with a easy to follow, basic eating plan and promote it as Nicole's Skinny Bar!!
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #9  

I love it! That's an excellent idea...I'd buy them...
Old 06-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #10  
Post-Master

That would be the best ever. But, don't you have to have certain types of liscenses and such to sell food items? DH has been wanting to sell our caramel for years.......and I have never pursued it. Also, we make a killer house salad dressing that he wants to bottle and sell, but I have just not done anything about it besides doing a tad bit of reseach online. It is not a bad idea at all though.......I'll see what I can find out

You know, I just gave a big old tub of whey powder away to my nephews last month, cuz I thought it was kind of gross........go figure
Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #11  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Okay, I just edited the post below with the protein bar recipe to include directions, exchanges, etc. I found the rest of the info on another site called Stella's Kitchen.......makes me want to shout..S T E L L L L A!!!!!

Another recipe that looked good on her site...baker Nicole

Protein Nutrition Bar Recipe by Stella Juarez
Makes 10 bars

A nice meal replacement bar at a mere fraction of the cost of packaged protein bars and none of their glycerin, preservatives, or sugar, these low-fat bars are rich in fiber and taste great with a light spread of natural peanut butter across the top. Served with a protein drink, they make a well-balanced meal.

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups quick oats

1 1/2 cups powdered non-fat milk

1 cup sugar-free (diabetic) pancake syrup (Cozy Cottage, Cary's or Howard's brand)

2 egg whites, beaten

1/4 cup orange juice

1 tsp Vanilla

1/4 c. natural applesauce*

4 scoops chocolate or vanilla protein powder

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325°. Mix all dry ingredients in bowl and blend well. In separate bowl, combine eggwhites, orange juice, applesauce, & the sugar-free syrup and blend well. Stir liquids into dry ingredients until blended. The consistency will be thick and similar to cookie dough. Spread batter on baking sheet coated with non-stick spray. Use a 9x12 baking dish if you want a thicker bar. Bake until edges are crisp and browned. Cut into 10 bars and store in airtight container or freeze.

*If you find you want a moister bar, add a little more applesauce to the recipe for softness.

**The brand of protein used in this recipe contained 200 calories, 4 g carb, 44 g protein, 2 g fat, and 2 g fiber. Use your low-carb whey of choice.

Nutritional Information:

Per Serving: Calories- 157 Carbs- 23g Protein- 15g Fat- .5 g Fiber- 4 g
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #12  

Thanks, Joni...I sent the first one off to the dietician...it sounds yummy!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #13  
Post-Master

This is sooo cool. I am getting excited to try these.........I can't beleive I have to wait until next week..............
Old 07-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #14  

I got the Nutrition Bar recipe back from the LA chef...

Good day! Thank you again for submitting your recipe. Below you will find our LA Chef modifications:

Recipe Name: Nutrition Bar

Ingredients:

5 tbsp natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
1/2 cup dry oats or whole grain hot cereal (uncooked)
1/2 cup oat flour * (double the oats if you do not have oat flour)
6 scoops chocolate whey protein
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp flax seeds
1 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 cup water (depending on what type of protein you use, you may need more)

Preparation:

Coat an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well. Add peanut butter and mix - the mixture will be crumbly and dry. Add water & vanilla.
Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, everything until a dough forms. The dough will be sticky. Spread dough into pan using a clean wooden spoon or spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Refrigerate a few hours (or freeze for an hour) and cut into 9 squares. Wrap bars individually (use sandwich bags or plastic wrap) or store in covered container between sheets of wax paper. Keep refrigerated.

Makes: 9 servings

Serving size: 1 bar

LA Exchange: 1/2 Protein, 1 Starch, 1 Fat

Please remember to use this recipe in moderation while in your weight loss program for continued success.

Enjoy!

LA Chef