Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 PM   #1  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Default Runners--road vs. treadmill

I have been doing C25K, and I am shocked how much I enjoy it.

When I was running on the road, it sucked. I mean really. It was a struggle to do four minutes, and I never made it to five without feeling like my lungs were going to pop. This is from my blog on Tuesday:

I ran one mile in 11:06. I got on the treadmill to do five minutes in a row, come **** or high water. When I was not dying, I decided to do 8 minutes. Then I decided 10. Once I got to ten and saw that I only had a bit more to go to complete a mile, I stuck with it.

I did 12 treadmill minutes yesterday with no problem. Pushing to 15 tomorrow on the treadmill. Despite breaking my 1-mile-or-10-minutes mental hurdle, I am scared to street run.

I will say that one big difference is that on the street, I have the stroller almost always. I tend to lean on it a little too much. One would think that would make the road easier.

I know there is a huge difference between the physical mechanics of running on the road and on the treadmill (my dad is a track coach). I am just wondering how much is true mechanics and how much I made it mental.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #2  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hi Anna - you're heading into week four by the looks of it - that's where I am right now I never DREAMED I'd be able to do more than the three minutes - but I am! Of course, NEXT week looks pretty scary, now...! It's a great programme Congrats on doing so well so far!!

All of my running so far has been outside - but I simply cannot run on the roads - just too darn hard on my poor knees Luckily, I live in an area with lots of trails and paths, so I run on dirt (or gravel, sometimes) - never asphalt or - Heaven Forbid! - concrete.

I have just ordered a treadmill, and can't wait to take delivery of it - that way, no excuses, regardless of the weather! What kind of treadmill are you running on?

Keep up the great work, and let us know how you are getting on!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:55 PM   #3  
Accepting who she is

It a Life Fitness at the gym. I have one at home that I bought when I did not realize what it was like to have kids in the house. I have not used it since my son learned to crawl, about 5 years ago. I really like the one at the gym. Top notch.

They just re-paved my street last week, so it is really quite soft. I have only walked on it a few times, but it is hugely different. No trails nearby, so I guess it just the treadmill for me.

And if I am going to get up and get to the gym in the morning, I need to bid you good night!
Old 07-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Congrats on the great work Anna! I have always preferred running outdoors to the treadmill, even though I do think it is a "harder" run - I am so much happier to be outside in the fresh air, and I just feel like a gerbil on a wheel when I'm on the treadmill. I haven't been indoors on the treadmill since the weather was under 20 degrees here.

There is no doubt that the treadmill is an easier run that outdoors - I've read that the small adjustments that you have to make when running on a pavement/path that is inevitably less uniform than the treadmill account for much of this. And of course, it depends what elevation you use when you set the treadmill. But, if you like the treadmill, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using it. Once you get a little more mileage under your belt, I'd recommend stepping outdoors again and trying a shorter run outside, just to see what you can do, and if you like it.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:52 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

onthetee, in your first post you said you run on the road with a stroller. Is this a jogging stroller, pushing a kid? If so, that is a whole lot more work than just running solo. When I was running 3-4 miles easily by myself, I could barely make it a half with the stoller and DD. It just doesn't compare.

Personally I find the treadmill a whole lot harder than the road. It is probably psychological, because a) I'm afraid of falling off and b) I'm REALLY bored, but I routinely get up at 0'dark thirty to beat the heat before I'd even consider a treadmill.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I detest the treadmill, but I also detest jogging strollers (but not as much as the tread) - its why I get up so early, so I can run without kids...

the other thing is you may be running too fast outside
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #7  
Accepting who she is

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
onthetee, in your first post you said you run on the road with a stroller. Is this a jogging stroller, pushing a kid? If so, that is a whole lot more work than just running solo. When I was running 3-4 miles easily by myself, I could barely make it a half with the stoller and DD. It just doesn't compare.

Personally I find the treadmill a whole lot harder than the road. It is probably psychological, because a) I'm afraid of falling off and b) I'm REALLY bored, but I routinely get up at 0'dark thirty to beat the heat before I'd even consider a treadmill.

Anne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I detest the treadmill, but I also detest jogging strollers (but not as much as the tread) - its why I get up so early, so I can run without kids...

the other thing is you may be running too fast outside

You early girls---I envy you. My little is still quite the night owl, so even when I set my alarm for 'early', I just stay put. If I don't get enough sleep, I am such a bad mom.

Ennay--you crack me up! Going to fast....not bloody likely.

You know, it may be the stroller. It is a double jogger with only one little 25-pounder in it. I always thought I was using it as a crutch, but I also get no arm momentum when I push it.

It is hot and humid here, so I will be on the treadmill this evening. I am going to 5 min walk, 8 run, 5 walk, and at least 8 run. The thing I like about the treadmill is that I get to watch TV, which I almost never do at home. I enjoyed Wimbledon last week!

We are going on vacation the 13-28. We will be in very different terrain. Indiana is as flat as it comes. Vacation may kick my tushy.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #8  
ebe
noob

I find that I run a lot faster outside than on the treadmill for whatever reason. Not breaking any records or anything but I do have to force myself to go slower or just walk for a minute. The treadmill can be ok sometimes but it can make me dizzy too...I think from zoning out and just staring above the top of it and seeing things bobbing around my peripheral vision. Bleh.
ebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

I hated my treadmill. I never used it and my hubby made me sell it. I love running outside. I have to be able to go all over. I tried running the high school track and was bored out of my mind. I do much better when I can just go where my legs take me. I don't even know how far it is. I just run!
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote