Old 06-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #1  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

Red face Low salt, raw veggies, water and other LAWL mysteries

hey guys,

I have been on the program about three weeks now and am loving it. I tried to ask my COD some Qs last time I was in, but I think she is a newer counselor and didn't have any answers for me.
I am on fast forward again for today and tomorrow and was wondering what the deal is with some of the LAWL restrictions. I do MUCH better with things when I know how they work and why.
1st- the salt, I know too much sodium isn't good for you, and makes you retain water, but is there more to it with this diet? How much does drinking more water help?
2nd- what is with the raw or maybe steamed veggies during take off/fast forward? I don't understand how it's different if I boil asparagus or eat it raw? anyone know?
3rd- I know there was a thread a while back about too much water, I couldn't believe that some CODs where saying not to drink more than 10 glasses a day. I drink at least 12 a day if not more and it makes me feel great--I know water poisoning is possible but can't imagine that I've ever been close to that!
4th- anyone know what the point of the FF juice is? Isn't it kinda sugary?

This site has made this diet SO much easier! Thanks for all of your wisdom!
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #2  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hi Amy, I will take a stab at a few of these questions.

1- Sodium- We will have to ask Dan to clarify this one, all I know on this one is that when I watch my sodium intake, I do better on WL.

2- Raw veggies= more roughage. One of the points of TO is to clean out your system, and raw veggies carry much more roughage than soft, cooked ones.

3- H2O- A good rule of thumb is to drink 1/2 of your body weight in ounces daily, so I would think that you are doing just fine on water

4- TO juice- Full of diaretics to clean the sodium and extra fluids out of your system, also high in fiber to clean you out in other ways.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #3  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Amy-
I think with the salt, it can make you retain water, so on occasion, weigh more. I've noticed in my plan book and my diary that they do not mention mortons lite salt ANYWHERE. So if you are retaining water from salt intake, the extra water is going to help flush the sodium out of your system.

Also when you boil veggies you take out a lot of the nutrients in them so raw, steaming and I've even read cooking in the microwave with less water will keep most of the good stuff in there. I like all my cooked veggies about 1/2 cooked so they are still crunchy.

With water, some say that if you drink too much, you can retain water too. I don't think 10 glasses a day is going to cause you any problems. They may use it as an excuse if your weight loss is slow just because they have to find something that you are doing wrong, it's their job.

Katie explained the reason for the juice, but you don't need to do the LAWL juice. You can sub with Knudsen's or Hollywood diet juice or just do the TO with fruit, which I like better.

I also want to tell you that you are doing wonderful so far!!
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #4  
Amy- Red w/Lites

Thanks for the help and encouragement. This all seems to make sense. I have been seeing consistent losses, so like they say, LAWL really does work, I just can't fight the system.
What both of you said really makes sense about the veggies so I will try to keep them on the raw side.
I'll have to look at the thread about the juice. I'm not complaining--I really like it bc it's variety from my normal weeks--but just happened to look at the ingredients and was surprised.
I really appreciate your answers! And thanks for the compliment--we'll see how W/I goes tomorrow!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #5  
LAWL Salt Police

Just to echo the sentiments about sodium here...

The salt content in the regular foods we eat should be enough for us to avoid using more.. But for some reason we, as a society, have become obsessed with salt.. I now cringe when I see my favorite Food Network chefs drop in a "pinch" (fistful) of salt to the things they are cooking...

It makes us retain water.. It's bad for our systems in general... It's as simple as that, really..

Extra water helps flush the sodium, but it also keeps us hydrated and makes us feel fuller (to a certain extent)..

I've found that the only time we should boil veggies is to make a stock.. Otherwise, raw or steamed is best.. That way the nutrients aren't flushed away...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2112 View Post
The salt content in the regular foods we eat should be enough for us to avoid using more.. But for some reason we, as a society, have become obsessed with salt.. I now cringe when I see my favorite Food Network chefs drop in a "pinch" (fistful) of salt to the things they are cooking...
As an aspiring chef, I need to give my $0.02 on that one. What I've learned is that adding salt - a real pinch, not fistfull - really does bring out and enhance the flavor of what you are cooking. Think it's not true? The next time you are cooking something taste it and then try adding just a 1/2 pinch of salt. Stir and taste again. Maybe add another 1/2 pinch. Stir and taste again. If you really slow down so that your senses have a chance to concentrate you will see how the flavor just blooms.

An off-program example was a few weeks ago when we made mayonaise from scratch. After getting it done and just needing to correct the seasoning we tasted it. I wanted a little more salt, my cooking partner didn't. Fortunately chef agreed w/me so we added. Just a pinch. Then tasted. We did it twice and found the whole flavor had blossomed.

So, Dan is right that we don't need to add salt to everything just to add it. But ifyou think your dish is a little bland, try just a LITTLE pinch of the stuff. It will enhance the other flavors. (Also try little dashes of ground white pepper)
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:52 AM   #7  
LAWL Salt Police

Well said Cassi... I should have qualified what I said by saying that I still do add lite salt or salt alternative to things.. Just in small quantities..

Wish I had time to take cooking classes.. A coworkers son just got accepted into the Denver Culinary School.. Makes me envious.. Had I known way back when what I know now, I might have persued cooking as a career.. I never knew how much fun it could be to experiement with things...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #8  
Amy- Red w/Lites

I've come to find that adding any type of salt is the least of my worries compared to the amount of sodium in so many packaged foods/ restaurant foods! Now that I am aware of it, everything seems just loaded with salt. It's making me realize that cooking at home where I have total control over what is in the food is the best bet for weight loss.
But I agree with you Cassi- a pinch of salt can really make a dish blossom. Sounds like you are already a pro in the kitchen!

Another silly question: why the limit on sugarless gum? I chew gum constantly throughout the day and haven't seemed to have trouble losing (so far at least). Anyone know why the put a limit on that?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #9  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Height: 5'4"

I know one issue with sugar-free foods is the artificial sweetener; sugar alcohols in large quantities (from what I hear, anything more than 20 g a day) has been known to cause quite a few digestive issues. I've experienced this personally, and while I won't go into detail, let's just say there's a lot of cramping and gassiness involved! Whether or not it actually stalls weight loss (aside from some minor bloating associated with the cramping perhaps), I don't know.

That having been said, if you haven't had tummy/plateau problems up to this point, you're probably in the clear. I often chew waaaay more gum than I'm supposed to, especially when I'm bored, because I figure cramps or no cramps, it's still better than putting food in my mouth and gaining.
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #10  
Amy- Red w/Lites

That makes sense. I've chewed sugarless gum constantly for years and have never had a problem. As long as I'm losing I'm not going to stress over it...just want to make sure I'm staying POP! Thanks and congrats on your amazing loss, Sarah!! wow!
Old 06-30-2007, 07:39 AM   #11  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Height: 5'4"

Thanks! Now the challenge is maintaining it...
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote