Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Default what are your thoughts?

Hi,

Just been wondering, i struggle with depression, but want to treat it with out chemicals. So i've been concentrating on nutrition, herbs, relaxation techniques, and a basic healthy lifestyle. since i've gotten a handle on it i feel alot better.

but what i have been wondering about is how much do you think that our processed, high sugar, high fat diets are contributing to depression in this country in the first place? I know for me it was just what i was raised on.

my heart drops when i see my freinds giving thier kids these snacks and juices with the high fructose corn syrup. and the snacks are made up and named to sound nutritious!

i just have had to learn and research on my own how to eat real food, and lot of it seems like trial and error, trying to sort out the whole from the additive laden.

kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

There are more studies being done to quantify the negative effects eating "faux foods" and the like actually have on people.

I absolutely believe there is a connection between what we eat and how we feel;It only makes sense! Everything we do/see/feel/think/eat creates a chemical reaction in the body and has an impact on the brain!

I would never feed a growing child the junk I see people giving children these days...I would feel like I was poisoning them!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #3  

That is a great point, but I think every situation and person will always react differently. I grew up on crap food, but can you really compare each generations level of depression? I don't believe it can be just one thing that makes a person depressed. There are so many complications. I mean sure all that stuff isn't great for you and I would never raise my children to eat fruit snacks and cookies all day. I guess you would have to do a lot of research on it. I'll eat that crap once and a while now when I'm out with my friends. I would never opt to eat that way now by myself now that I know that natural is the way to go. But I really don't see that big of a problem in other people eating it in moderation. I could probably go on and on about this haha I have never even thought about it before! But yeah here is a good link I found: http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/bit....php?isid=1080 . Who on earth knew chocolate could improve your mood? It sure makes me happy.
ssmiley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

I think that diet is part of the equation. I think genetics play a role and I think our modern lifestyle is part of it too.

We are bombarded by so many more images than people were 100 years ago. People do not get outside as much as they used to. And I'm sure we can agree that we are all too busy these days.

I have battled with depression off and on for most of my life. Does what I eat effect how I feel? YES YES YES!!! Does exercise effect how I feel? YES! Does dehydration effect how I feel? You better believe it!

I've also found that not having a TV is helpful for me. I realize this might not be true for everyone, but it makes home seem more calm to me. Plus, I get proper sleep when I'm not up late watching cooking shows.

I too prefer to treat myself with non-chemical options (omega-3 supplement/rhodiola.) I think a "whole" diet is part of treatment for me too. So I think it is part of the puzzle, but there are other pieces too.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #5  
RosieKate

For myself, diet and exercise absolutely improve my mood and sense of well-being. However, I do not battle clinical depression. I know several who do and some have healthy lifestyles, some do not. All need medication and I am glad they have it. If I were to find myself struggling with depression, I would probably consult a naturopath first, then move onto more conventional treatments. I wouldn't rule out anything when confronted with such a challenge.

I wanted to chime in with zenor about the impact of television. I am not a mental health professional, but I do think it contributes to depression. Our family gave up cable 7-8 years ago and we rarely watch the evening news. However, when we visit relatives, they have cable news on all the time and I have noticed that the mood is considerable different when we are there. The vibe in the room feels more tense. I just can't completely tune that stuff out. Invariably the news is bad and its repeated every 15 minutes! I don't know how people can live with those messages day in and day out and NOT get depressed. If the news isn't on, then we are watching HGTV which is depressing in a different way with lots of "grass is greener" messages" - though I can filter those out much more easily and focus on the decorating tips

I think going on a media diet could yield some surprising results. I've read studies that say people who watch little or no tv are more active. So if the tv is off, and one is doing something active instead, your brain and body are perking up. Then you lose weight and keep it off, which helps keep spirits up as well...it could become a cycle of good moods.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

wow, i wasn't expecting that tidbit about television. i for one know when i was at my most content , i only watched a few shows i really enjoy.
Now if i can just stay away from this computer

i guess i've just been following a list of foods that are meant to counter the chemical imbalances that are present when we get depressed. i've noticed a change for the better. But i don't know. maybe there is other reasons i'm like this. I know i was talking to my mom the other day, and she commented that i wasn't a smiley baby. Maybe i'm just like this.

Well, i'm hoping i feel some big changes in the next few months. As i posted on the depression board, i quit taking bcp's because i think i was having some bad cumulative side effects, mostly concerning my mood. So i 'm working with some more natural methods to try and re-balance my system. One being accupunture, and another is NaPro technology, for birth controll/monthly hormone tracking. Also diet, exercise, sleep, relaxing, and herbs.

I really want to feel better.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #7  
RosieKate

Good luck to you , kaebea...if I were in your shoes I would be handling it much the same way.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #8  

Omega 3 FAs kicked my depression/anxiety in under three months!!!
I wish more people would go the natural route, especially with their kids.
EFA's have also helped my son with hyperactivity. I argued with a daycare to not let them feed him processed crap and eventually they kicked him out. Once I controlled ALL his food the improvements have come in leaps and bounds (also noticed by his therapists).
pumpingiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

WOW! That is great! I love hearing about moms who take charge and help their children out in those ways!

Would those of you share (here or in another thread) your own personal program of supplementation that you used to help yourself or your children with depression/hyperactivity/anxiety/etc.?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:10 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpingiron View Post
Omega 3 FAs kicked my depression/anxiety in under three months!!!
I had a similar experience as well! I wish more doctors would offer this route first before prescribing meds. The natural way has always worked best for me.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:12 AM   #11  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
I had a similar experience as well! I wish more doctors would offer this route first before prescribing meds. The natural way has always worked best for me.
Would you share what kind/type/amount please? I realize this is a very individual thing and what works for you may not work for others, I am just interested in knowing what others do.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:42 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Would you share what kind/type/amount please? I realize this is a very individual thing and what works for you may not work for others, I am just interested in knowing what others do.
My last "mood issue" was actually more anxiety than depression. It took about a month for me to start feeling better. I take 1t of fish oil daily and 200mg of Rhodiola Rosea daily (100mg 30min before breakfast & 100mg 30min before lunch.) Since you are vegan I'll list what percentages of EFA's are in my fish oil so you can compare it to vegan oils.

Here's the breakdown:
DHA 625mg
EPA 410mg
Other Omega-3s 225mg
Total Omega-3s 1260mg
Oleic Acid (Omega-9) 600mg

It also contains:
Vitamin A 1500-2950 I.U.
Vitamin D 1-20 I.U.
Vitamin E 30 I.U.

I have no idea why the A & D have ranges. This is just what is on my bottle.

My doctor gave me a pamphlet about Omega-3s and mood disorders. It was interesting. They even listed a case study in the UK of a man with schizophrenia who was non-responsive to drug therapy. After 9 months of taking an Omega-3 supplement he was functioning completely normal. Plus, there are studies that they have done on depression/anxiety that show that this helps. I find it very interesting (and very helpful.)
Old 06-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

Thank you! Fascinating!

Was this a Naturopathic Doctor or a conventional MD?