Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #1  
Losing it :)

S/C/G: 175/149.5/135

Height: 5'1"

Default The NEW Nutrisystem...is it better than the old?

I have heard very bad things about the NS foods. I've seen all the commercials for the NEW Nutrisystem. Is it better?
shaykha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/250/225

Height: 5'10"

My sister in law tried it. She said the food was terrible. Its freeze dried or something and you boil it. She also didn't get any of the types of food she asked for.
kgood2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:08 PM   #3  
Losing it :)

S/C/G: 175/149.5/135

Height: 5'1"

Oh thanks for clearing that up! I still have not decided which service to go with but NS is out. What a cute baby!
shaykha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #4  

I heard it tasted really bad and waited years before trying it. I'm very happy with the food, it must be very nutrionally balanced because I just feel so much better. In the past couple of months I've lost 18 lbs and it is almost effortless for me.

You don't boil anything, you can nuke most of it but you also, if you don't have a microwave, can set your bowl/package in some gently boiling water to warm it (a nice touch if I'm our camping).

Some things are like dry soups or packaged mixes (sloppy joes) that require a little preparation. Some things the textures are soft but I think some of that comes with whole wheat pasta and the shelf stable preparations. I know when I've cooked whole wheat pasta it comes out a softer texture too.

Somethings I like better then others but there is plenty of variety to allow me to pick my preferred foods without just eating one or two items.

Different things appeal to different people and the only way you can know for a fact whether you like something is to try it at least once yourself. There are several things that people have said they didn't care for so I dreaded trying it only to find out that I really enjoyed it.

I personally didn't like having to take the time to make pancakes with the mixes but I found a recipe of creating a coffeecake with berries using the pancake mix and it is my very favorite breakfast.

I would recommend you at least sign on the website and order a a couple of days ala carte and make an informed decision. That way you can tell if getting a chocolate bar as a snack is worth having your pasta over cooked.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:12 AM   #5  

I don't know anything about the new NutriSystem... all I know is that after 1 day of the "old" NutriSystem in fall '06... I sent it all back.

The food was just terrible. Just the quality of it all... everything felt very congealed. Powdered eggs? "Soup" that clearly was not soup. Strange, strange stuff. I think they use the same packaging technique they use with astronauts, so you don't have to freeze anything.

To me, it just was not worth any possible weight loss I'd get from it. Yeck.
ordinarysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: ?/?/147

Height: 5'7"

Hi, I am doing the new NS plan and so far the food is good. My sister did the old plan and she said the food was horrible, but this food is good.

I have had some really good food. I had pancakes and berries for breakfast today and I had meatloaf and potatos for dinner last night. The variety and the food is good, but you have to remember that everyones tastes are different. Some people will like some things and others won't like the same thing. I like it and I'm glad that I made the decision to do the plan.
vernalmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I am on NS as well, and I love the food. Like any type of food I have my favorites and some I cannot stand. I like the desserts but usually don't eat them, I have fruit instead.
My BFF has lost over 60 pounds on NS, feels great, loves the food, and that is why I started.
It is all a matter of taste. I have tried the Jenny Craig food that my other friend does, and I find NS better and cheaper.
Good luck with whatever you chose
islandgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

There are quite mixed reviews on this.

Perhaps the reason why some people have lost weight on this is because the food is so disgusting that they can't eat it all and therefore starve.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #9  

I've noticed the negative reviews are typically from people who "knew someone" who didn't like it or tried it "one day" and judged the rest of the month on that one day. If they had chicken noodle soup I can understand why they quit but if they had picked the Split Pea they might have given it a second day. Islandgrrl is right, there are some meals that are really good, some I wouldn't want to have to bother with again and most of them are fine but then that is my spin on eating anyways. Some things I really like some things I really don't and most things are eaten because you have to eat.

I also tried Jenny Craig a couple of years ago and lost a lot of weight. Their food was very good, most of it is frozen so storing it would get to be a problem some times. Their shelf stable stuff was pretty much the same as NS. However, I think my experience with NS is much more positive from the customer service perspective then JC and the price is better. They do a lot of little things that keep you motivated; it's a really good company. Also they guarantee your food, if you order some things that you find you really don't like you can return them within 30 days for a refund.

I tried it and I like it and I'm loosing weight nice and steady.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote