General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #1  

Exclamation Slimfast!!??

Anyone trying Slimfast? Any ideas? It seems to be a vvvvery slow process! 9 lbs in 7 weeks? EEK!
Cindy V
Ontario, Canada
Cindy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #2  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

We would need to know your weight before we make any kind of ruling on how your weight-loss is going, but it sound like it's going great! You're averaging more than a pound a week which is usually considered healthy weight-loss! You should be proud of yourself for sticking to it and it sounds like it's the plan for you. Keep it going!
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

There is a SliFasters forun under general weight plans
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:51 AM   #4  
Addicted to potato salad!

Slimfast gave me wicked gas. VERY painful for me. But some others I know that have done it have loved it and it worked wonders for them.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Plans like SlimFast & OptiFast (liquid diets) in my opinion, do not encourage a lifetime change in eating habits. Drinking a shake for breakfast & a shake for lunch for a lifetime isn't realistic. Successful & permanant weight loss requires a complete change in eating habits & lifestyle. JMO
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Ditto jersey girl.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #7  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I LOVE a liquid breakfast. I used to drink slimfast but found Carnation Instant Breakfast to be more affordable and got addicted to that instead. It's very filling and yummy. I'm one of those people who can't stand the thought of eating early in the morning. Anyway, I can't imagine having a liquid lunch as well, but whatever works for you!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I love a liquid breakfast as well. I have used breakfast shakes/smoothies for many years. DH, at 5'11, 135 lbs also loves his liquid breakfast.

My issue with slimfast is the ingredients, last time I looked at them, they didn't look like something I would want to drink.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #9  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

I agree with Nelie. I LOVE a liquid breakfast. I used to do slim fast as well. But as I became more and more health conscious I tend to go more toward whole foods and that stuff looks like it is straight out of a lab. It is my opinion that our body needs whole foods to survive and thrive. The less artificial stuff the better off we are.

I do a smoothie for breakfast in the blender. A light way to start the day. Usually an apple, some strawberries or blueberries, a banana, maybe an orange or a grapefruit. I also add in some plain yogurt.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

The idea of a liquid breakfast makes me go "ewwwwwww!"

I hate slim fast shakes - they taste like chalk. Carnation instant breakfast isn't any better. The taste disgusts me and makes me gag.

I could never do both liquid breakfast AND liquid lunch. I'd feel like an old person who can no longer digest anything

I'm not sure that liquid meals really do assist in weight loss progression, either, because if you get TOO few calories, your metabolism slows down. Eating liquid breakfast and lunch would either mean depriving your body of the calories that it needs or eating a JINORMOUS dinner. A liquid breakfast, nutritionally speaking, is fine and possibly a good idea if you're into that kind of thing, but in my opinion, anything more than that is just a liquid diet setting you up for failure because most people can't stick to it or maintain it for life.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Well I think it really depends on your lifestyle but one reason I like liquid breakfast is because it is easy. Throw in the ingredients, blend in the blender, drink, rinse out blender, do morning activities, drink... I don't have to cook, I don't have to sit down and eat, I can carry my glass around, etc.

If someone is busy a liquid lunch may also be a good idea but then you may have concerns about eating too few calories but it depends how you eat. I'm very snacky so I eat 6 mini meals per day. My breakfast shake is just one of them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #12  

FWIW:

Slim Fast no longer recommends just a shake for breakfast/lunch and a sensible dinner.

The plan now is broken down into beginning weight categories with different calorie levels for the different weights.

I eat the following:

Shake for breakfast (220 cal)
Snack (120 cal)
Meal-on-the-go bar or shake (220 cal) + a light meal (<300 cal) for lunch
Fruit (80-120 cal)
Snack (120 cal)
Sensible dinner (500 or fewer calories--generally right at 500, though)
Snack (120 cal)

For a total of around 1,720 calories. Some days I throw another Slim Fast snack or another piece of fruit in there (or both!) if I'm extra hungry. I don't generally go under the 1,720 calories, but I have eaten as many as 2,000 if I get hungry enough.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #13  

I'm doing slim fast right now, and it's working pretty well. I have gotten through that initial stage where the weight comes off really fast. Now I am steady, and lose about a pound a week. Slow, but healthy. It works for me because I rarely have time to sit down and eat at work. The structure helps, also, because I know what I'm getting and when I get it.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #14  

I eat Special K with fruit and skim milk for breakfast, Slimfast Shake for lunch with 3 slices fat free ham or turkey+carrots, then normal(?) dinner minus the carbs.A couple of snacks during the day, fruit or slimfast muffin bars-I really like how easy it is to grab a shake, only having it once a day keeps my interest-I've not noticed any gassy problems with it-but HELLO-the new Weight Watchers Smart ones lunch entrees? Killer gas!!
Cindy V.
Ontario, Canada
Cindy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

Strange, I thought the OP was just asking if her weight loss was in the normal range, I didn't think she was asking for opinions on SF. I agree with 4myself. I think people are generally very uninformed about the true SF plan.

In response to the OP, I think you're right on target. If you lose weight more quickly than that it may just be water weight and come right back on.

I am sort of on SF right now but I'm modifying it. I lost 50 pounds in 2001 and kept it off (mostly) by starting on SF and then switching to a basic calorie counting plan. The weight loss I saw on SF was motivating, and the idea of eating healthy food was very welcome to me after drinking shakes and eating bars.

Now, two babies later, I'm sort of doing the same thing. But now I have a meal replacement bar for breakfast with coffee, eat a 300 calorie lunch, snack on a SF muffin bar, eat a 450 calorie dinner, then have a 250 calorie snack. (I've combined SF with the 90/10 plan for now).

I'm babbling, but basically, just wanted to say I think you're doing great!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote