Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #1  

Default ab exercises

What exercises can i do to work my LOWER abs?? Everythig i do seems to be working mostly my upper abs.

Amy
AlabamaAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 176/155/135

Height: 5'7"

Reverse crunches! Also, i've noticed that standing ab exerices tend to work both the upper and lower abs as well. Such as:

Side winder
works abs, obliques

Stand with feet hip-width apart, knees slightly bent, hands clasped behind head and elbows pointed out to sides. Lift right leg to side, knee bent, thigh parallel to floor. Keeping knee lifted, bend torso to right side, bringing elbow and knee toward each other.

Side leg extension
works abs, legs, butt, back

Lie faceup with arms at sides, palms down. Bend right knee 45 degrees and rest leg on ball with hips off floor, abs engaged, left leg extended toward ceiling. Lower left leg across body as far as you comfortably can, toes pointed, keeping shoulders on floor (as shown). Slowly return to start. Do 10 reps; switch legs.

V-UP
works lower abs and hips
Start the V-Up by lying flat on a mat and then raise both your legs and arms together while keeping them as straight as possible. Keep your lower back as straight as possible as well. Lower down to the starting position slowly while exhaling
Elegant Departure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:43 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
There really isn't any such thing as lower or upper abdomials. The upper/lower are just targeted areas of the one main muscle of the Rectus Abdominis. Different exercises can put slightly more emphasis on one area more than the other, but the whole Rectus Abdominis area gets worked with each exercise to a degree.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/zaino8.htm ... It's a bodybuilding site but it explains abdominals really well...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #4  

Thanks ladies! I'll try these exercises when i work my abs.

Ilene, thanks for the link it was very informative.
AlabamaAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/201/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Quote:
There really isn't any such thing as lower or upper abdomials. The upper/lower are just targeted areas of the one main muscle of the Rectus Abdominis. Different exercises can put slightly more emphasis on one area more than the other, but the whole Rectus Abdominis area gets worked with each exercise to a degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/zaino8.htm ... It's a bodybuilding site but it explains abdominals really well...
I was just going to say the same thing!
gertiegumdrop is offline   Reply With Quote