General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

Default Shaqs Big Challenge

I love Shaq!!! I like what there doing here with these kids, I just think its a little embarrising for these kids. But Im glad they have someone there to help them. If Shaq came out my door, and made me get in shape I would be the healthiest person ever. Did anyone watch this????

GO WALTER!!!
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #2  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I just watched this. Boy did I see myself in those kids. Shaq is very likeable and you can see that he cares a lot about what happens to the kids.

Overall I thought it was good. It seems like they are trying to help teach the kids better habits and aren't being too unrealistic about it - ie fast food only once a week after having it every day. Asking kids to completely change their habits and going from all pizza to tofu and sprouts is most likely going to backfire.

The one thing that really bugged me is how they dumped the kids in that gym without any direction except written. What did they expect? I think that part was done for dramatic effect. They obviously need some level of supervision - even if it is just a trainer to take them through the first time to show them how to do all the exercises
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

I watched part of it. I think the idea is good and hope it works out. I felt so bad for the kids. I wanted to cry when the Doctor was telling the kids that they were morbidly obese, especially the boy who started crying on his mom.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:10 AM   #4  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I was flicking through the TV looking for something to watch while riding my recumbrant bike the other night. I saw the previews to it. To be honest with you, I think it is VERY mean to put children who are heavy like that on TV and show them crying or struggling. Who knows down the road what psychological affect this will have on them? Not to mention, what about their peers in school and activities who may have seen the show? Think they aren't being set up for some major teasing after this show aired?

It would have been great if he just worked/helped with these kids, but why did it have to be broadcasted on TV?

I just think this was so cruel.....shame on the parent for allowing their children to be exposed like this on national tv.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I wanted to watch but was out of town and forgot it was on so I watched a DODGER game. I talked to my daughter and she saw it, she enjoyed it but did say something about it being too scripted in parts. I read about it in USA TODAY and was impressed with "what I read"...you never know what is true in the newspapers these days do ya?

I don't want to step on anyones toes but I will say, being a LAKER fan and following Shaq's days with them, that he does A LOT of great things with and for kids and adults too that was not broadcast to the media. Stories are still coming out from the Los Angeles area on things he did for people and he has been gone a few years now.

Sure those kids may be made fun of, probably will be, but weren't they already? They may become little stars just by being with Shaq too. And just what if they loose some major weight...how cool would that be....and what if other kids see the show and follow their lead...what if?

I think it is worth the risk for most of them ....didn't look like they had much of a future from what I read and heard about the show...but you just can't believe everything that's for sure.

We know a few "reality" TV actors...these shows are very scripted and edited....

Prayers for the children and their futures!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/186.5/130

Height: 5'3

This is the 2nd week of the show, And I have a new found respect for Shaq. I always liked him, except for when he beat my mavericks in the nba finals. This show is very sad for me, just reliving my childhood. Im so happy someone is doing this for these kids, so maybe kids dont have to go threw this anymore.
staciec878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #7