Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default What do you dip your artichokes into?

I bought 2 beautiful artichokes and I remember my mom used to make a heavily oily dip for the leaves and all the recipes I can find online are mayo based

I need a dipping sauce!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Hummus would be good. I get Trader Joe's eggplant hummus; it is only 35 calories for 2 tbsp.

Cooking Light has a recipe for Roasted Red Pepper and Cannellini Bean Dip (http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking...ipe_id=1571422) that is great on all kinds of veggies, artichokes included. 62 calories per 1/4 cup.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Steam them, break off the leaves and dip them in the ranch dressing of your choice. This is one of my favorite appetizers because it's super low cal and fun to eat!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #4  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I just buy frozen artichoke hearts, so I'm thinking aloud here mostly... but what about a tomato based dip? Like a bruschetta dip or some chilled zesty spaghetti sauce? I actually made some dip like that just now, I had some garbanzo beans leftover, but I didn't save the liquid, so I put those in the blender with some fire roased tomato and garlic spaghetti sauce I had leftover (that was lower cal/sodium, I think 50 cals for 1/2 c.), pushed the button, and voila! Tomato hummus-y type dip!
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I actually made a really good dip similar to what my mom used to make. I crushed 1 clove garlic in ~ 3T olive oil and let it sit. Then I poured the infused oil (about 2T - the 3rd one was left in the bowl with the garlic) and added 2T lemon juice and 2T white wine vinegar and just a pinch of dry mustard to emulsify it a bit.

Unfortunately I cooked those f'ers FOREVER and the leaves still werent soft and scrapeable.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #6  
Lost in Wonderland

S/C/G: 230.5/199.5/150

Height: 5'10"

i usually cook mine with a drizzle of EVOO and lots of garlic

I may not be the most popular person after i eat one like that, but it is worth it

alos lots of ground pepper ... that makes any food instantly yummy
CrimsonClover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #7  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

make some breadcumbs with lo-cal bread in a food processor...mix in some sage, garlic powder and a littl salt and pepper...

after steaming or boiling your artichokes...spray them with a little extra virginolive oil...get between the leaves, but don't use too much!

spread the breadcrumbs into the leaves of the artichokes then bake for 30 minutes....

then intead of dipping you have a little seasoned breading in each leaf.....eat the artichike heart with the breadcrumbs that fall to the plate....

yummy and lowfat!

you can change the seasoning around of course...I like the sage and garlic...my mom used to use oregano.....a little finely chopped sundried tomato is nice too...
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #8  
Christi

S/C/G: 187 / ticker / 130

I LOVE artichokes!!! Try Smart Choice margarine or ICBINB spray then in reduced fat grated parm cheese. THE BEST!!
Clue0983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I make my own. Amounts are approximate

2-3 T non-fat mayo
1/2-1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp or so lemon juice
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
a few shakes of Tabasco (more for hotter)

I also serve melted butter.

DH and I will each have one and we'll alternate which to dip in, but I always save the heart for dipping in the butter.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote