General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Default hot dog eating contest

I just read an article about Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest. The champion for the past 7 years, Takeru Kobayashi, ate almost 54 hotdogs in 12 minutes. A man in California managed 59 hotdogs in 12 minutes.

Just for fun, and because I'm a nerd, I looked up how many calories are in one of Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs. One contains 309 calories (I'm not sure if that includes the bun). Based on that figure, the man in California consumed 18,231 calories - that's an entire day's worth of calories in 12 minutes.

I know it's kind of horrible, but I wish I could enter an eating contest. I wouldn't because of the damage it would do to my body, but it just sounds like so much fun! Has anyone here been in an eating contest? I'd love to hear about it.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Wait, you must mean an entire *week's* worth.

I've never been in an eating contest. I couldn't imagine how disgustingly terrible that would be for my body, and I've always been pretty health conscious.

HOWEVER, if I was promised a million dollars if I could eat fifty hot dogs in 12 minutes, I just might do it... wait... I don't know if a million dollars would be enough for all the potential damage I could do to my body just for eating all those hot dogs.

What I wonder is how these professional eaters don't have a slew of stomach problems from the practice of competitive overeating, a slew of heart problems from the huge amounts of fat that could clog their arteries, and a slew of weight problems from all the damned calories!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I just read where one of the contestants won't be in it this year--he has an arthritic jaw! I guess that's what happens when you overdo it!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #4  

I saw this year's winner on Good Morning America (or one of those shows). He stated he usually eats pretty well, but for about two weeks prior to the contest he "tests" himself every few days or so by eating the hot dogs and doesn't eat for a substantial amount of time (like two days or something) before the contest and drinks shakes or something. So, if it's any consulation, he doesn't get to eat like that every day.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Ah, glorified,socially acceptable, rewarded binge eating. So sad.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #6  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

Most of those people barf afterwards...I mean common...keeping those things in your stomach? yeah right! YUCK! They have to eat the buns and all?
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #7  

I think it'd be hard not to barf *during* ...I'm pretty sure a large number of contestants do, that's why most eating contests have a "no barfing" rule.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightengaleShane View Post
Wait, you must mean an entire *week's* worth.
Oh yes; my mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Ah, glorified,socially acceptable, rewarded binge eating. So sad.
That's a very valid point, and maybe why the idea is somewhat appealing to me. It's a socially accepted opportunity to binge. Not to mention I wouldn't mind the money.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Chubby View Post
Oh yes; my mistake!

That's a very valid point, and maybe why the idea is somewhat appealing to me. It's a socially accepted opportunity to binge. Not to mention I wouldn't mind the money.
If you're going to binge and want an excuse, wouldn't you rather do it on something other than potential pig testicles and other lovely animal "bi products" that are in the disgusting pieces of "meat" known as hot dogs?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #10  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
If you're going to binge and want an excuse, wouldn't you rather do it on something other than potential pig testicles and other lovely animal "bi products" that are in the disgusting pieces of "meat" known as hot dogs?
Oh, come one...one man's "pig testicle" is another man's...uh, Yeah...
Old 06-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #11  

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
Oh, come one...one man's "pig testicle" is another man's...uh, Yeah...
You know...I had thought about that. Somehow, it wouldn't seem so naughty if you were binging on good food. Besides, if you eat quickly enough so that you don't think about what's in them, hot dogs are pretty tasty.

Can you imagine a filet mignon eating contest? It would be sacrilegious to wolf down something you should savor.

Although, I wonder if anyone's ever set up a salad eating contest... That could be an interesting concept - have people binge on healthy foods. Mind you, I'm not necessarily recommending binging of any sort, but it's just an idea.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Chubby View Post
Although, I wonder if anyone's ever set up a salad eating contest... That could be an interesting concept - have people binge on healthy foods. Mind you, I'm not necessarily recommending binging of any sort, but it's just an idea.
Well, I could eat a pretty large amount of salad and wouldn't feel bad about it at all!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #13  

Along those lines -- not in any way suggesting binging (unfortunately, "been there, done that") --- but if you could eat as much as you want of one food, what would it be? I pick ice cream.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #14  

Once my nephew was sick the night before he ate hot dogs for dinner. he wouldnt eat t he whole day and that night he threw up and the hot dogs came back up. Thinking he had a problem with digestion my sis took him to the dr. the doc said hot dogg stay in your stomach for along time because they are mostly preservatives....Yuck
bethmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #15  
Finding My Bliss

^^Yep. Nitrates, nitrites, high fructose corn syrup, various chemicals, preservatives a load of salt and assorted (otherwise rejected) animal parts. YUM!!!

Not all are like that, naturally. But most are!