Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #1  
Mel

Default Maintainers Chat - Week of June 11 - 17

Good night all! I'm not the earlybird that Meg is (actually I am, but I'm on the elliptical, not the computer in the early hours ), so the weekly thread is getting an three hour head start this week while she is away.

I've been mostly a lurker on this thread for a while and should really start posting back here again! Since changing jobs, I've discovered a whole new maintenance tool: real clothes. Gym clothes were much more forgiving on the "up three down three" game. Business suits are not. I'm 100% in maintenance mode now. This has kind of stopped my mania for how tiny can I get because I can't go buy MORE clothes!
Have a good tomorrow

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #2  
Mel

Good morning !
Old 06-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning Mel. Can't be lettin' ya drink coffee alone.

I missed your job change I guess I haven't been very diligent in my reading.

I hear you about the clothing. Since I got full-time, mine is scrubs. I love the ones we were talking about in the other thread and have ordered a couple more sets, I have two pairs at the seamstress and there's this new kind with a mock wrap top ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone! Mel, what is your new job?

I had a food disaster this weekend. I don't feel that bad about it though because I really really needed a day without having to be responsible. Friday night my fiance and I went to the airport to catch a plane to Boston for our friend's wedding, but after a 2.5 hour delay our flight was cancelled. Apparently the entire east coast air traffic control system had computer problems. Anyway they told us the next flight we could get was 3pm Saturday, but the wedding was at 11am! So we got a refund and went home. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I really needed a weekend of rest.

Anyway this weekend we did some gardening and general house-maintenance, took a trip to the art museum, went to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, went clothes shopping (I got an adorable blue dress from NY&Co), and Saturday night had a junk food fest. We went to get ice cream before the movie, splurged and split a huge Coke at the theater, then after the moving ate donuts and frozen CPK pizza while drinking beer and wine and watching stupid TV shows. My scale is up 3 lbs over the past two weeks, probably from lack of exercise.

Anyway today we will go to the gym for the first time in 2 weeks. I am hoping it will help my wrists, which have taken a major turn for the worse. I'm seeing the rheumatologist Wednesday and I'm really nervous about it.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #5  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

This weekend, I had two meals with the in-laws and I always eat more than I need to when I'm with them. For some reason, I get anxious and overeat. Then I came home Sunday and ate a whole bag of Herr's lite popcorn for dinner. Not too healthy!

The scale had me at 105 again on Saturday after bouncing up 2-3 pounds. (It's always a 'guestimate' between the defined 5 pound incremental lines. I feel no different when it weighs me at 105 or 110 and it doesn't seem to reflect what I've eaten or drank.

On Friday, at the swing dance I wore one of my new dresses and got a ton of compliments. No one there knows me from before I lost the weight. DH told 2 people that night that I've lost over 50 pounds and they didn't believe him. It's wonderful that he's so proud of my achievement. I just hope I'll be able to stabilize on my medications so I'll be able to keep it off.

I've been reading Rethinking Thin for next week's discussion and am finding the information of how the brain controls our hunger and satity fascinating.

Saturday, we took our Hobie Wave out for the first sail of the season. Fortunately, the bay water has already warmed up to a nice temperature because that boat is a very wet ride. Still, I wore DH's wet suit, my spray jacket, gloves and booties and got cold each time we sailed up wind because we were soaked and the 'apparent' wind chill factor kicked in.

This week, I have to take a Safe Boating course and pass a test so I can legally motor power our sailboat in the state of NJ. Since I bought the boat and the registration's in my name, I've got to have the certificate. DH should get one also, but scheduling it is tougher for him and he's not a good test taker. Wish me luck on Thursday night.

Lily - you should think about canning some of your vegetables. I've canned soups and stews and found it easy to do.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi ladies, it is beautiful warm weather here. It is sure nice now that the heat doesn't bother me so much. My yard is shaping up nicely after all the hard work yesterday. I plan to go work in my garden a little (I did most of it yesterday) and plan to take my big mama labrador for a long walk. (Or should I say hold the leash while she runs and drags me). LOL.

I killed a small copperhead snake by my garden yesterday. I chopped it into with the hoe. I'm glad I'd already mowed that area and could easily see it. Snakes are scary, but I freak out worse if I see a spider. LOL.

I'm back on plan now with eating. I'm trying to drink a lot of water, as my arms and hands look swollen after the long weekend of yard work.

Jessica, I'm glad you had some rest time.

Carolyn, My MIL is planning to help me can some veggies. I plan to can them like for stew, like you had mentioned. That is what my mother always did when we were young.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lily~speaking of spiders, how is your son doing?

I had what I thought was a great weekend. I planned, ate on plan, and was rewarded with a 1.5 pound gain. Yuck. Still in plan today. I think I'll try to get some exercise in this evening. That may be what I'm in need of....well, I KNOW I'm in need of it....it's that same old motivation problem.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 PM   #8  
lilybelle

Allison, thanks for asking. My son is doing great now since having the bite area drained . The antibiotics all worked and he feels fine.

Sorry you had a gain, after your OP weekend. I had a gain yesterday too and felt like I didn't deserve it. I'm trying to get in extra water. I felt so thirsty last night after the 3.5 hrs . of hard yard work that I even took a big glass of water to bed with me.

Allison when you walk your Labs, do they walk beside you or drag you? Just curious. Mine walks pretty well, but takes off in a dead run if she sees a rabbit.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lily~my dogs are pretty good about not dragging me, but it wasn't always that way. I am a firm believer in using a prong collar rather than either a regular collar or a choke chain collar. I know a lot of people think that the prong collars are cruel, but they aren't. With dogs that are prone to pulling, regular collars and choke chains can actually damage the dog's esophagus. The prong collar works in such a way that it pinches a little when the dog pulls and it is enough to deter them without damaging the esophagus. I have even put the collar on myself and pulled--sure it pinches but it doesn't cut or really hurt that much. I've also tried the gentle lead halter and it works great with my older dog, but the younger one ignores it (well, he used to--he'd probably be okay with it now).

As for the rabbits--Chico was so good the other day! He saw two rabbits and started off after them (off leash in our front yard). I called him off and he stopped right at the edge of our yard and came back to me! I was so proud! But then, he's a little dumb. Last night he saw one in the back yard so I let him out to chase it (I know, I'm mean!). The rabbit ran, turned right and then immediately turned left and ran out of the yard. Chico saw it turn right and went that way himself and spent 5 minutes trying to figure out where it had run!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #10  
lilybelle

Allison, I've never tried a prong collar with either of mine. Mama lab was tired today from jumping the fence and running for quite a while in our pasture. So, I took my 5 mo. old lab. puppy for a walk. She liked it but was so hyper that half the time she was 3 feet in the air. LOL. I'm hoping with walking the dogs regularly that she will get used to it and settle down some. She drank a ton of water when we got back. My dogs are my walking partners cause no one else around here wants to walk out in the heat. (Except my neigbors little 7 yr. old girl, she went with me and asked if I'd come get everytime I go for a walk).

It sounds like Chico is a very good dog. Molly or Lucy would have ran for miles chasing that rabbitt. LOL.

I just finished push mowing inside the fenced back yard. It is my hardest area to mow because my dogs love to dig. So, I've walked a mile, push-mowed for an hour, watered my garden, hedges and flowers. This evening I plan to take another 1 mile walk when it gets cooler. Also plan to cook dinner and help DH with laying cement along the bottom of the back fence to keep dogs from digging out. So, busy day with plenty of good old exercise. I'm now sipping my second quart of water.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #11  

Hi Lily,

WTG! You sound VERY much OP!

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #12  
Mel

Lily, I always used a prong collar on my standard poodle. On leash she was an angel. Off leash, she knew she was waaay faster and probably smarter. After being hauled around despite the endless training, I introduced the prong collar and she only tested me ONCE.

I used to can so much from my garden that I started to fear August.

Susan and Paperclippy- I started working for a mega-bank as a trust administrator about 7 weeks ago. I still train a few evenings during the week and on Saturdays. Keeps my very busy and away from the computer during the day

I feel a need to munch that I haven't had in ages
Mel
Old 06-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #13  
lilybelle

I didn't make it on my second walk because DH and I worked another 3.5 hrs. mixing and placing cement along the back of our fenced yard. That is some hard work. I also trimmed more tree branches while he burned a big brush pile. I'm getting a "farmer's tan" from all the yard work. We still have a lot more to do before we are through. He gave out before I did. Then I came inside and did laudry and cleaned the kitchen. He ended up going back outside and helping DS rotate the tires on his jeep. Now he's asleep in the chair and pretty grumpy I might add, so I might just leave him there. LOL.

Tonite for dinner I made some lean beef tips with brown rice, fresh green beans with fresh onions, and grilled squash. It was very good. I've been cooking stuff out of the garden every night. I figure I worked really hard to grow all the fresh stuff so by george we're gonna eat it. I now have little corn on the cobs that are about an inch long. Can't wait til it's big enough to eat. By that time, I'll probably be sick of all the peas, green beans and squash. LOL. I'm getting lots of fresh tomatoes now and I could eat them every day of my life.

So tomorrow it will be mama dog's turn to go for a walk with me. I hope she behaves. She is usually very calm and lazy, but she does love our "nature" walk.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #14  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

lilybelle it sounds like you are getting loads of exercise with the yard work anyway so I wouldn't worry about the walk!

yay I weighed in at 104 today that's a pound less than normal. and this was*after* beating myself up last night cos I thought I ate too much meat at dinner. hall served up lamb chops that looked really big, and I told myself I wouldn't eat it all, but I did. I think they trick you, serving cuts that look big so you think 'wow, this is great value for money' but by the time you've taken off all the bone, gristle and fat they aren't so big at all! lol.
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #15  
lilybelle

Well, it's topping the 90's here today so I'm gonna wait to go for my walk this evening.

Jude, WTG on the wt. loss. I'm the same way about meat, if I put too large of portion on my plate, I'll eat it anyway. I'm slowly getting better at throwing away a little of food left on my plate, but that has always been very hard for me.