General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #1  
Nova

S/C/G: 220/205/130

Height: 5'4 3/4"

Unhappy Death in the family

I don't know if this is the right place to put this and I guess this may not seem as bad to you as it does to me as it's not a human death but rather a cat. I've been working with numerous animal rescues since I was 11. Fostering cats and dogs alike but mostly cats because of city laws about only having 2 dogs living at the residence at any one time. Anyways, in about 8 hours I have an appt for one of my adopted foster cats to be put to sleep. Her name is Rica and we've had her about 4 years now. She is about 13 yrs old and one of the sweetest cats in the world, even with her drooling. I know a lot about animals and I know that she's ready to go, and has been getting ready to go for a while now (all of her weight dropped from her bones and now is in her belly, she's bloated, and dehydrated, pretty much the same as any other old cat getting ready for a death bed). I've been pumping her with fluids, and doing everything I know to do but in the end mother nature is taking it's course. This whole thing has been racking my emotions but now that it's coming to an end, it isn't any better. At least having her alive means there's hope but when she's gone there isn't any hope. Anyways, I've been struggling since I made the appt. this past afternoon, trying not to eat, I even skipped walking my dogs today, and I need to get past this because I know if I can continue to exercise and eat healthy, I'll get over this a lot faster. Thank you for any support or advice.
chevyjnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

I know there is nothing I can say to make this any easier, but I'm so sorry! Our beloved dog has congestive heart failure . . . the vets don't know how much time he has left, but sometimes when I look at him or think about him I just start crying. I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but think of all the wonderful time you have had with your cat--how lucky you were to have her in your life and how lucky she was to find a home with you. Her life has been so blessed by your love and vice versa. I hope you make it through this rough time okay.
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:02 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm so sorry. I hope that your cat does not have to suffer anymore. You have given Rica a good life! I've had many cats, and it's always hard when this time comes.

You can get through this without going too far off your program if you'll keep in mind that eating is not going to change the situation.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am so sorry , I undersatand how painful that is. I am a dog person and when the vets office reccommended euthanasia my knees literally buckled and I grabbed unto the counter for support. There is nothing to compare with the devotion and loyalty we get from our pets.

i
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I wish I had advice for you, Chevy. I know how hard it is. You are donig the right thing for her by not prolonging her suffering. It is a very, very sad thing to lose a pet, they are really members of the family. They're with us through everything and see us at our best and at our worst. Take comfort in the fact that you've given her a wonderful, loving life for which I am sure she is eternally grateful.

I'm thinking of you and Rica this afternoon.. hang in there.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #6  

It's horrible, I had a cat that lived with me threw my "single years", moved to three states with me, etc. that I had to put to sleep when she was 10. Horrible.

Maybe you can plant a tree in the cat's memory, make a donation to the animal shelter, etc. to make you feel better?
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

It hurts. Animals become members of the family.

I hope you feel better soon.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote