Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #1  
kelfromcal

S/C/G: 170/162.5/135

Height: 5'5

Default net carbs

I completely understand the concept of carbs minus the fiber BUT how come on all of the Atkins products (such as the bars) they have say.... 22 carbs and 12 grams of fiber but the package says they are only 2 NET CARBS. That is confusing to me. If it didn't say 2 NET CARBS I would subtact the fiber and end up thinking it was worth 10 CARBS. Does anyone have a thought on why this is? Once again Thanks ahead for your responses. Keep up your great work!
kelfromcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:05 AM   #2  
Going to ONEderland

Some of those products subtract sugar alcohols as well. I do hope you aren't using the bars at THIS point are you? You are only on day 3? That isn't induction fare.

I don't trust sugar alcohols. I tend to eat way too many of them and they tend to stop me from losing. A book I've been reading says that the body doesn't know the difference between them and the real thing and it releases insulin to deal with them even though they aren't actually sugar. Then the insulin needs something to do so pulls sugar out of the blood and stores it as fat. Then you get cravings for more.

Leave off the bars. Stick to meats and veggys the more natural the better and you'll have better success staying on Atkins. At least I think so.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:11 AM   #3  
kelfromcal

S/C/G: 170/162.5/135

Height: 5'5

Yikes I have been having one bar a day. When I did Atkins before bars were not allowed on induction. This time I noticed that things had changed and the bars are labeled OK for induction. Is that wrong? I have only been having 1 per day. This was my third day and I am down 2 pounds Yea!
kelfromcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:12 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Atkins Chocolate Peanut Butter Advantage Bar - 2 net carbs per bar. They claim there are 0 grams of sugar alcohol. The total carbs is 22...they deduct the dietary fiber which is 10. This comes to 12 net carbs. I'm sure you're wondering how they arrive at 2 net carbs They deduct for the glycerine in the bar...which...incidentally, IS a SUGAR ALCOHOL! The bars also contain soy, milk & peanuts. None of these ingredients are on the acceptable foods list for Induction. These bars are common "stallers" for a lot of people. If you decide to give them a try, I would recommend waiting till you are out of Induction & using them as Dr. Atkins designed them to be used...for emergencies only!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #5  

The first time I did induction, I tried the bars and they didn't stall me at first but after about 2 weeks, I stalled. I don't know if it was the bars or what but I stopped eating them immediately.

On another note, can someone explain to me how the Carbs minus the fiber works? So if the carb count says 20 and the fiber count was 5 it would actually be 15 net carbs? Does Protein play a part here too? I forgot to bring my book to work today so I can't refer to it. Would love any insight! Thank you!
Buffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Total carbs subtract the fiber = net carbs.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi . . . I'm not on Atkins but I am diabetic and accurate carb counting is very important to me.

Absolutely subtract the fibre . . . it has no gylcemic impact at all. Sugar Alcohols are a very different thing . . . the gycemic impact differs depending on the actual substance involved, but all have some impact on insulin production. It can range from 1/4 to 3/4 of the impact of a real sugar. So counting half the grams might be fair, but counting zero for those grams is not a good idea.

Personally, I try to avoid them in the first place. If I do eat something with sugar alcohols, I count the SA grams as normal carbs.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote