Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 AM   #1  
kelfromcal

S/C/G: 170/162.5/135

Height: 5'5

Default encouragment?

Hello all, Today was my 3rd day back on Atkins. Boy did I feel cruddy yesterday but weathered it out and felt much better today. I am concerned because my stix aren't even registring trace amounts of ketones. I don't think I am doing anything differently. I have only been eating off of induction list and counting all carbs. Does anyone know if it takes longer to get into ketosis? Sorry I sound like a broken record but I really want to stick to it this time and I am feeling good about it (except for the darn stix )

Feed back please!! Thanks you guys have been great!
kelfromcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #2  
Going to ONEderland

You really don't need to stress about the stix. Some people never turn them any color at all. For others it happens on the third day or the fourth or the fifth or? Sometimes you buy a batch of stix that just don't work, they are spoiled or something. Sometimes it is what you are eating that is the problem, Drinking tons of water (which is a good thing) can also water down your pee so that the stix don't register.

If you felt lousy yesterday, you are probably shifting into ketosis. Usually that is how Atkins works, you have a day or two feeling icky while your body switches over to burning ketones from burning carbs, and then you are in ketosis. Whether you see it on the stix or not.

Just relax. Are you losing weight? Did you weigh the first day and now? I tend to drop weight really quickly on Atkins. At least a pound or two the very first few days. It is mostly water weight and I can tell because I seem to be peeing a lot more than normal, but I'll take any weight loss I can get, water, fat or whatever.

You are doing fine. Just relax.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #3  
kelfromcal

S/C/G: 170/162.5/135

Height: 5'5

Thanks Sherry. I need to hear from people like you
kelfromcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/158/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm on day 3 also, and last night i weighed myself (i know i shouldn't have, b/c i had drinken a lot of water all day) but i wanted to, and i was so upset that the scales said i weighed 6 pounds more than i normally do. Can drinking all that water weigh THAT much in just one day? i weighed myself this morning, after peeing, and before drinking, and all those 6 pounds plus one are gone, so im not freaking out about it now. i was sick during the weekend, but went ahead and started on monday, b/c i didnt want to wait any longer, so i've still been a little sick and havent really experienced any withdrawl, but then again i have been a little sick, so it could just be disguised by that. it's been alright so far. i found that the first night was the hardest. i just wanted candy so bad (which i hardly even eat), so that was weird. but then again i do tend to want to eat more at night, and have a difficult time sleeping on an empty stomach. but eating a boiled egg seems to work alright now. i do miss eating bread. i would only eat whole wheat berry bread which is delicious even by itself, but it'll be alright without it for a while. i hope i can keep it up!
bunnyluffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Stick to it bunnyliffs and kelfromcal.

I'm not surprised you dropped 6 lbs plus 1. Your wt at the end of a day (after eating, drinking and just being) will be higher than your wt first thing in the morning. Congrats on choosing a great diet plan. Come visit on the weekly chat - you'll both find some great support and great ideas.

I wouldn't worry with the stix if the wt is going down every week.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #6  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

I never use the sticks either, I have read many times that they are not reliable, so don't worry about them. You should be feeling better soon. I go by the scale and how my clothes fit, sometimes it takes a while for your body to adjust.

Bunny, You should never weigh in at night, Like Kell said it's all the water and food. It's easy to fluctuate 5-6lbs during the day, so dont worry about it.
I always weigh less in the morning.

Congrats to both of you for sticking with it, the first few days are always the hardest.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:48 AM   #7  

I reccomend: do measurements all the time, and celebrate winnings. forget problems, learn from them, this way you will have motivation.
pacukas is offline   Reply With Quote