Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #1  
a new me

S/C/G: 200/192/145

Height: 5'2"

Default Traditional Greek Yogurt

Ok, so I just found one of my new favorite foods. Yesterday I went to pick up some Fage yougurt to use as sour cream, and found The Greek Gods brand Traditional Greek yogurt. It was FANTASTIC. Of course it was honey flavored so it made it taste like heaven in a cup.

So my question for you all is: is 250 calories just way too many for 6 oz. of yogurt?

I probably wouldn't indulge in this everyday, as a matter of fact, I think i will try the plain one as well sometime this week. But for a once in a while treat, I was thinking that wasn't too terribly bad.
lovemacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Is that whole-milk yogurt? I've tried Fage, they have a fat-free yogurt which is 80 cal for 6 oz (plain). If this Greek Gods brand has a fat-free, try that. Only darn trouble with Fage and other Greek yogurts is I don't know any mainstream supermarkets that carry them, I've only seen them @ Whole Foods and co-ops (there's a co-op near my home and one within walking distance of my office, I've only been to the former once and the latter only has the full-fat variety). Or, some other posters have said that "Greek" yogurt is just yogurt with the whey strained out, you can just get any plain 'gurt and strain it through cheesecloth or a coffee filter.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #3  
paso a paso

S/C/G: 160/125/126

Height: reaching for 5'

love, I adore Greek full-fat yogurt, but I'm not eating it right now. I can get Nancy's organic non-fat, which is quite creamy and mild and pretty darn cheap here, about $2.80 for the 32 oz. container.

I think I would eat the full-fat in the future as a treat. BUT I can't eat a whole container at once, it's too filling for me, so I use it as a topping for fruit. That makes it less calorie-intense.

P.S., I like the plain Greek yogurt better than the honey-flavored. It is not sour at all to me and beside I kind of think honey is
mariposita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Greek Gods does have a fat free version, but not honey flavored. I much prefer it to Fage, actually, texture-wise. I use it to make tzatziki all the time, and I think the single-serving container is 60 calories or so. Mmmm, I love the stuff.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #5  

250 calories for 6 oz...way too many calories and fat and sugar. Try the fat-free, it's much better.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i use Trader Joe's brand of Greek Yogurt I try to get the 0% fat for 100 calories per cup but sometimes I get the 2% fat for 120 calories per cup.

I have it daily with sweetner and fruit.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love Trader Joe's 0% Greek Yogurt and I seriously cannot taste the difference between it and the 2%. I did a taste test once when I had both varieties on hand. I haven't compared the 0% to the full fat. The 0% is so good, I can't imagine ever needed to eat the full fat variety. It's spoiled me; I can't eat regular nonfat yogurt now.

I would buy 0% greek yogurt (Fage, TJ's, or Greek Gods) and if I wanted a treat once in a while, I'd buy my own honey to stir into it (I love the combination of yogurt topped with honey). That way you'd be eating the healthier yogurt and you'd control the amount of honey on it. If you added a little fruit, you probably wouldn't need to use very much honey. You'd have a treat that would probably taste just as good as the 250 calorie yogurt you bought, but it would be a lot lower in calories and better for you.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #8  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i don't see the difference between the 2% or 0% either to be honest but sometimes my TJs is out of 0%....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I just make my own with a coffee filter and regular plain nonfat yogurt It tastes pretty much the same and its a bit cheaper.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #10  
a new me

S/C/G: 200/192/145

Height: 5'2"

Thanks all. After I posted I looked at the fat content and decided that it would definately be a treat. I think I am actully going to do what Barbara said and put some fruit in the 0% or 2%. I think I actully lliked it better than the yoplait flavored ones I've been eating. Even the Fage plain. It was good on my taco salad (subbed as sour cream) and by itself. Maybe my tastebuds are changing too.
lovemacon is offline   Reply With Quote