Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default What else can I do?

Okay, so I recently started jogging/walking on the treadmill at the gym. I've been going to the gym for many years and never had it in me to try jogging. I've done everything from spinning class to elliptical and just plain old walking with the incline up high to work harder. I just got through my 3rd day of walking/jogging (I did 2 minutes walking, 2 jogging, then went up to 4 minutes jogging, 2 minites walking) and my knee feels annihilated. I've had joint problems before and I was hoping I'd adjust to the extra stress but apparently not. It's killing me when I turn a certain way or wak up and down stairs. So my question is...what else can I do? I really think I need a new form of cardio to change things up but I don't see how I can continue jogging, even though I really like it.
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I have knee problems, too. Strengthening the muscles around the knees helped a lot (weight training). Also, I wear a knee brace when I run, ice my knee, wear really good shoes, and I don't run every day. I run 2-3 times a week, then do elliptical, stationary bike and water aerobics on the other days.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #3  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

ah yes, I also have painful weak knees. When I first started exercising it was too painful to jog and I figured I'd never be able to do it, but as the weeks went on they got less and less painful and I was able to jog for longer or periods of time. Then I didn't exercise for about 2 1/2 weeks and I just tried to jog for the first time again this morning, I didn't get more than 1 minute and my knees were practically crying!

So I guess all I'm saying is keep it up and go slow, they will get stronger and as you use them more it will also increase the lubrication. Also have you tried any supplements? Look for a joint supplement that has both glucosamine and chondroitin. I work in the veterinary field and I can vouch that they really do help animals a lot, I just bought a human supplement for myself but have only been taking it for 5 days so far and you really need to take it for atleast 3 weeks before seeing/feeling results.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #4  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks. Yes, I take a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. I know I don't take it enough, I'm supposed to take one capsule three times a day, but that's a lot to remember! I did give myself a day to recover between my sessions, but I'll try strength training a little more.
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I have bad knees also, and I asked a pharmacist the other day about glucosamine/chondroitin. He said that there is evidence it helps with knee problems stemming from osteo-arthritis, but not other kinds of knee problems. I haven't done any independent research to verify this, but I decided not to buy any.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

Have you tried an elliptical machine at the gym? They're very low-impact and can burn a lot of calories if you really work it. If you have knee problems, you also need to start doing weight lifting to strengthen the muscles around your knees and provide additional support.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote