Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 04:52 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat - Week of May 28 - June 3

Good morning and a happy Memorial Day to all in the US!

I know some members are able to read and post on the new server and some are still on the old 'read-only' server - Suzanne says it all has to do with when your DNS resolves and that's up to each of our service providers. So welcome back to everyone! I missed 3FC yesterday! I poured my coffee, sat at the computer, and ... there wasn't anything to read!

So I need some advice from anyone who's ever been on a cruise -- how do you do it without gaining weight?? My family is going on a family reunion cruise in two weeks and I'm concerned about coming back ten pounds heavier (oh yeah, I could do it!) Strategies? What to avoid? Good choices?

Our holiday plans aren't very exciting - we're going to grill shish kebobs and veggies. I finally got the herb garden planted yesterday and I was enviously thinking about Lily's fabulous garden the whole time. Thank goodness our deer don't seem to like herbs!!

Our gym doesn't open until 8 am because it's a holiday so I'm sitting here, twiddling my thumbs - and I don't think that counts as cardio.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #2  
Mel

Twiddle faster!
Old 05-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Ha! Meg, my gym is closed altogether today! They're always closed on Sundays too. It's a "down" to small town living. I was in and out of there on Sat when I was doing my 4 hour training walk. I have to plan a route that allows me at least 2 bathroom stops. Fortunately the gym is at the intersection of 2 bike/walking paths so I don't walk in total circles. (I also ended up walking by the local Animal Food Warehouse where they were having some sort of sale/swap meet with tons of baby animals -soooo cute!)

Re: cruise I went on one in 1998 and managed to come home 3 lbs lighter! I chose the lighter options from the dining room menus, ate what I would have eaten at home for breakfast (except they had way more choices in fruit!). I totally avoided the midnight buffets, and went easy on the alcohol. Oh, and drank lots of water of course. There was a gym and exercise classes and deck walks. So unless you remove your normal eating restraints, you should do fine!
Old 05-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Meg~I've been on many cruises and I usually come home a pound or two heavier, so I don't really worry about it, but if you want some strategies, here's my two cents:

eat a lot of fruit at breakfast along with your protein
have a light lunch (this is usually very easy if eating on board--they often have a lot of salads at lunch)
Stay away from the desserts until dinner time (the lunch desserts are often leftover from the previous day and are a little dry anyway)
don't drink too much alcohol
choose fish at dinner after having a salad or clear soup (they often have 3-6 course dinners and I never skip a course!!!!--I know, I'm bad, but I love food!)
Skip the midnight buffet, or if you have to indulge, have some shrimp and a piece of dark chocolate

Every afternoon, take a two mile walk around the ship (they should have one level dedicated to walkers)
Use the exercise room if they have one
When on shore--walk instead of taking a tour bus or taxi

And most of all--HAVE FUN!!
Old 05-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone, my parents just left this morning and I'm just now catching up. I'm EXHAUSTED and will catch up more thoroughly in a couple days.

Meg, where will you be cruising? Sounds like it could be fun.

Anne
Old 05-29-2007, 03:41 AM   #6  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

A cruise, sounds wonderful! I'd just do the hotel technique - eat lots of healthy stuff at breakfast buffet, light lunch, and then for dinner...well...it's a holiday! lol.
This is my exam week. I'm not weighing till the end, I was still the same at the start of week. One down, four to go! x
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM   #7  

Default first time to post - help

Hi, I'm so frustrated. I guess I'm a maintainer wanna-be. I've really been struggling since Nov 06. I've got to do something. In Nov 06, I would have almost thought I could be a maintainer. I don't what happened. In Nov I was sick with some sort of respiratory crud and ever since then I just can't maintain.

I'm not doing anything different, but I keep gaining. The only difference is that I vary my foods and I vary my workouts. I mostly walk with Leslie Sansone programs, but I also go to a gym sometimes. I've really tried to increase my strength training. I typically walk 2-4 miles per day and strength train, 3 days per week. Previously, this was a losing formula.

I started out at 186 and lost to 114. 114 was short-lived. This was after a vacation to Japan and was my lowest in years, then kept at 116 for several months, then now I've gone to 124. It just kills me to say this. I"m 5 feet and 48 yo. My orginal goal was 110, but I revised this to 116. Now just not gaining would be great. I started my weight loss in Jan 05.

At one point, I had wondered how to not lose. I must have been nutso to have even thought this. I'm trying to remain positive, but it's hard. I haven't given up, but it's tempting. My clothes mostly still fit fine. The exceptions are some shorts that I bought last summer when at my lowest weight.

I've been through menopause recently. In Jan 07, blood work showed that I'd already been through menopause, but I was still bleeding, though irregular. My gyn took out a polyp during a D&C about 3 weeks ago. The polyp was causing the bleeding. My bleeding should stop, though the D&C bleeding could go on for a month. The bleeding had stopped,until this weekend.

Any thoughts or ideas? thanks for "listening." CBryant
Old 05-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

cbryant First of all, and second of all, congrats on the loss!!! You've done the first part of the work (the huge loss) and now comes part two which you've already determined is just as hard as part one. Thankfully you've found us!!!! We all struggle to keep the weight off (or for me, to actually lose those last 5-7 pounds). It sounds like you've got some good habits (regular exercise) but a few challenges that make it hard to keep the weight off. While I don't consider myself an expert at all, I think you're doing fine. Keep up with the exercise and when you're healed, cut back a little on calories and you'll see those pounds you've gained come right off. Good luck to you!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:10 PM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

Meg, good to see you got your herb garden planted. I've never been on a cruise, but did have one planned last fall and had to cancel it.

cbryant, Congratulations on the great wt. loss. WTG. It really is a struggle for most all of us to keep the wt. off. This maintainers site helps so much. Post here for advice and support often. It really does work and we have some here who have maintained for 5+ yr's that are very helpful and knowledgeable.

I'm having to kick myself back into gear after a not-so-successful Memorial Day weekend. I did get a lot of exercise, but my eating wasn't great.

From last weeks chat, my DD is feeling a lot better. I called again today for an appt. with her pediatric gastroenterologist and they are switching offices this week and are supposed to call me back for an appt. for her. I also called my hepatologist for an appt. I'm having trouble with forgetting things, losing things, etc. It's a sure sign my Amylase level is too high. Even DH mentioned it and wanted me to get in soon to see the Dr. I feel like my brain is all "foggy".

Yesterday, I used big hedge clippers and cut a bunch of low-hanging tree branches and moved them all to a big burn pile. That was quite a workout. Then , I weeded some more in my garden. Many of my pea plants are ready to pull. I actually cooked some oniions and potatoes this weekend from my garden. The tomatoes are getting big and plenty of them. The squash is growing like crazy. (I planted enough squash to feed this whole town, LOL) My corn plants are about waist high. My watermelon and Cantaloupe plants and OKra and bell peppers are about 6 inch high. If I get a chance, I'll have DD take a pic of my garden so I can post it.

Sunday me, DH, DS and the 2SD's all took the boat to the lake. Everyone besides me did wake-boarding and skiing. (I'm too afraid that a nasty fall could do severe injury to my liver). We had a fun day. DD stayed home with her best friend and they rented a bunch of movies for the day.

Good news in the mail today. Since the youngest 2 SD's now live with us, DH no longer owes any child support. Yippee, that has taken 10 yrs. to happen. Now, he can get a court order for his XW to pay him support.

Last edited by lilybelle; 05-29-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Hi guys! The stick is blue once again, so here it goes again. Explains the complete fatigue and absent-mindedness from the last week or so. Here's hoping for a better outcome this time.

Now, where is that cheese?

Anne
Old 05-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 259/140/140

Height: 5'6"

My memorial day eating was way off. Of course I was drinking to. I started eating on Friday and did not stop until Monday night. I feel like I gained a million lbs. I did weigh on Friday like I always do and was 142. I guess the moment of truth will be Friday when it is time to weigh again. I had a hard time yesterday but today I feel much better and am right back on track. This maintenance is really much harder than I though it would be.
I also moved my ticker to 140 instead of 145. So I am trying to lose another 5lbs, then maintain that. If I can stay between 140 and 145 I will be okay with that. Just no more than 145.
Meg, a cruise sounds so good right now. My husband and I went on one about 7 years ago and it was wonderful. Of course I was fat and not gaining any weight was the last thing on my mind, so no help there. The only advice I can give is to have fun.
Terrie
Old 05-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 259/140/140

Height: 5'6"

Anne we must have posted at the same time. A big CONGRATULATIONS to you. I will be praying everything goes okay.
Terrie
Old 05-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #13  
Meg

Yay, Anne!!!

And here ya go
Old 05-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #14  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Congratulations Anne, that is wonderful news.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:39 PM   #15  

Ciao Chickies. I've returned from my Roman holiday renewed, refreshed and ready to go. We had a fabulous fabulous time. Rome is an exhilarating, exasperating, exciting, and totally wonderful city. We spent 10 days there, and still did not manage to see everything we wanted to see. Because there is so much to try to absorb, we took a number of guided tours -- something we've never done before. And it was so worth it. The company we selected offers very small (groups of 6) tours, led by scholars, archeologists, architects and historians. Because of them, we had a context in which to see the sights. It was awesome. We ate wonderful food, drank wonderful wine and worked our way through many a cup of gelato. And we walked. And walked. And walked. I took a small pedometer with me, and am happy to report that we racked up 5 to 7 miles most days, and more than 10 on one. Result: I didn't gain an ounce.

There's no way I can catch up on everything I missed. I hope all is well with everyone. It's good to be back.
Closed Thread