Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-31-2007, 02:41 AM   #1  

Default Curb bites....my secret obsession!

Hi there! I am in a wheelchair right now due to foot surgery, (done 5 out of 8 weeks no weight on foot, yay!) and I was really scared of gaining some of my weight back due to inactivity and boredom that I bought Curb Bites with Hoodia.....yeah yeah, I know it probably wouldn't work, but what the heck.....
So I received them and tried it......I don't care if they work or not!
they are sooooooooooooooooooo good! and 30 calories???
I have one every night (they say to eat 3 a day...too expensive for that!)

Anyone else try them? I really doubt if they help all that much with cravings or eating less, but OMGOSH are they yummy!

I also tried Halter Grapefruit sugar free Bon Bons, they're made in Switzerland with Isomalt as the sugar instead of aspartame or sucralose.
They're very good too. Cough drop size lozenge that tastes very good.
the "Exotic Fruit" flavor does not taste very good though.

Anyone else found "diet" food that they stupidly bought, but keep eating just because they like it?

Last edited by aschenbrodel; 05-31-2007 at 03:04 AM.
aschenbrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Hi! I was wondering how you were doing after your surgery, how long do you have to be in a wheelchair?Where do you get Curb Bites?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:34 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Personally, I go for Dove dark chocolate squares, which come in at about 40 calories each. Much cheaper.

I probably wouldn't spend in money on an unproven and highly questionable diet aid just on general principles.

Good luck on your recovery.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:36 AM   #4  

I just looked up Curb Bites on Amazon. I checked the ingredients, one of the first ingredients listed is Malitol. I foind Malitol to be very laxative. with Malitol I can outrun an Olympian Runner.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 AM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Ah, I think most of us have been suckered into buying a dubious "diet" product at one point or another. I bought "diet" tea. It is a laxative in a cup. But, I still use it when the need for that sort of product would "naturally" arise.

That industry preys on the desperate, and aren't we all desperate at times to lose weight and/or keep it off? It is in our moments of weakness and temporary insanity that we end up buying such things!!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 AM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschenbrodel View Post
Anyone else found "diet" food that they stupidly bought, but keep eating just because they like it?
Broccoli, cauliflower and lentils are my favorite "diet" foods

I hope your foot continues to heal and that you are able to be up and about soon!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:25 PM   #7  

Thanks, all. Except for my mental health, lol, I'm doing ok.
It's been so hard though. I am stir crazy and house bound!!!!!!!
Getting out of my wheelchair I was hopping to the bathroom, hopping to the sink etc. I have fallen 4 times and the last 2 were nasty.
Once out the back door onto rough pebble patio and last night through the bathroom doorway, hitting the counter corner, the comode and finally the floor.
YEESH!

It's so sunny and nuce out and we can'r go to a park very easy, no way can we go to the beach or lake......sigh.

Today due to a schedule mix up, the only way I can get my dd to work is to let her drive (learner's permit) to work (McDonald's inside a Walmart store) with all of us in the car. Then we'll have to find amusing things to do in Walmart for 3 1/2 hours.
I figure with lunch out (grillled chicken, my fav) and window shopping, I'll probably be more than eager to get home when she gets off work!

Also, even though I can't go in it yet, dh, the kids and I (I get to order them around!) are setting up our new pool tonight. 18ft across and 4ft deep.
We've wanted a pool for so long but we always had babies or toddlers and that scared us.
Our youngest is turning 6 in June, so finally!
It'll be nice as I slowly gain strength in my foot again.

As for the curb bites, malitol, I didn't know that! hmmm...none of that effect for me, and I usually am very sensitive to lax effects.
Maybe I'm just a sucker for caramel and chocolate. I looooove that combo!

Bottom line, I figure they probably aren't hurting me, and they're doing wonders for my mental health! LOL!

And as for lentils, I love those too. I could eat them day and night! Thanks for reminding me that we are getting low!
(I wish more companies would make them low sodium canned, and cheaper too! I make them out of dried lentils, but sometimes you want a quicker meal or to add them in a pre-cooked soup)
Old 05-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #8  

Be super careful of falling. I fell walking across a perfectly level, carpeted floor.Result I broke my shoulder, that was 3 months ago. I still have no use of that arm..
Old 05-31-2007, 02:26 PM   #9  

bargoo, three months and you still can't use it?
Did you damage nerves too?
Yuck, I feel so bad for you.
What does the Dr say that you could expect total healing?
Old 05-31-2007, 05:45 PM   #10  

Dr doesn't give any guarentees but I will see him next week I am sure there will be new xrays so we'll see, meanwhile the sadist (aka as physical therapist )says there is more mobility and eventually it will come back.How is your foot ?How long will you be in a wheelchair?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:01 AM   #11  

Hey all! I went to the doc Wednesday and he gave me permission to start puting weight on my foot!!
YIPPEEEE!!!

The bad part of that is the fact that he is letting me in the hope it starts me healing faster.
He's not pleased with the slowness of bone growth. He would expect a lot more healing than is going on right now.

I guess when two bones are fused, the best possible outcome is that they are held immobile and they heal quickly with real bone growth.
Acceptable but not as 1st choice would be that walking on the foot (with boot and crutches only at this point) will create "micro motion" that stimulates callous growth above and below the fusion. Which the way I understand it, is weaker, but gets stronger with time? Or maybe just lumpy, heh, I don't know. But that growth is acceptable.
What's not acceptable is no fusion. That is when it just does not grow together. Basically your foot is just held together by the screw and pin.
There is electo-somthing or others which they can attach to stimulate "micro-movement" at the fusion site if my walking doesn't help.

SO!
Good news and bad new, but HEY! I'm Walking! (sloooooowly!)
I asked him when i can expect to get back to 5 miles a day. He laughed and said how about Sept?
Oy, I guess that will be ok. I need patience!
September is out vacation at the beach, nice to know I could be all healed by then!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:11 AM   #12  

AschenB - Sound good !
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote