Old 05-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 Year Olds #97

G'day all,

We are quite exhausted of all the walking and the heat but it has been interesting.
Peggy we also remember our visit fondly, Alan bought some Beck's beer and said Doug would have been proud of him
Thanks for the tips about Philidelphia, I have problems answering emails at times (depends where we are and the sort of connection) but I do receive all the emails.

We have taken a a million and 1 photos today, I am downloading them and will then post a few on my next blog.

Cannot remember what everyone wrote on the previous posts...of course

Hope everyone is happy and well,

Cheers
Maria
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #2  

It was a quiet day today. We watched the Memorial Day concert on public tv this afternoon. It was recorded last night in Washington and was a tear jerker. If it is ever repeated I recomend it. Just heard from my sister. She was in NY for the weekend visiting her son. He lives in LA and is doing a job in NY. He is an artist and is painting a penthouse for some people. He does layered plaster and silver leaf and fancy things. Can't wait to see the pics she took. It is the whole 23rd floor overlooking Central Park. Maria, while she was there they visited a museum across the street from the Museum of Modern Art. It was a textile museum and she said it was amazing. We went to our nephew's high school graduation party yesterday. It was nice and in a park. We took D's parents and it was hard to push her wheelchair through the grass to the shelter.
We went to Lowe's today and I picked up paint chips. I am going to paint my front door a red color and we are trying to agree. Of course I will win. LOL
Hope you all had a nice holiday weekend.
Peggy
Maria I saw the motorcycle parade on tv. I was looking for you.
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #3  

G'day all,

Peggy I am surprised you never saw us, you couldn't have been looking that hard
The textile museum sounds interesting.
I am up a bit early this morning, Alan is still asleep....
Our stay in Washington DC has been quite an experience and I am very pleased we made it here for Memorial Day.
The Smithsonian museum was just absolutely amazing and a MUST for anyone to experience.
Washington is probably another place where I could live for some time, there is so much to explore and see. The city itself is lovely.
We had been warned about all sorts of things when we decided on this trip, I have to say not once have we felt threatened or scared.
People have been friendly and helpful.
Now for the last leg of our trip....and home!

We have done so much walking these last 3 days and it has been so very hot and humid, I am sure we might have lost a few pounds
We are starting to get used to the food and what we should avoid, we have discovered hot-dogs though and we both really like them. Our hot-dogs are rather bland, the first hotdog we had here was good but we thought it was just a one off, since then we have tried a few more and they are all nice and spicy and I even like some of the relishes!

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-29-2007, 12:16 PM   #4  
Member Florida Chick

Maria: You are getting to the American diet, when you like hotdogs, and of course hamburgers. My favorite is hotdogs. There some really good ones out there.
My youngest daughter works in Annapolis in the Ann Arundel Hospital. She commutes from Baltimore every day.

I know you will enjoy the Pennsylvania Dutch Countryside. Don't be surprised to see Horse and buggies on the road, and of course they have no modern conveniences as we think of them. But the food is very good. The women make marvelous quilts and often they are on sale. but usually quite expensive.

You are so right when you say that everyone should haave the chance to visit the Smithsonian. Acres and Acres of interesting stuff. With all the walking you have done, you must have lost weight. : or at least really firmed up.

Have a great time on this last leg of your journey.

Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #5  
Fun Blonde

Goodness, Maria, you have really had an interesting time, haven't you? A few years ago I went with some 7th graders and my sister to Washington DC at this same time and I remember all the things you are talking about. The Smithsonian was so very big and so awesome that we just walked our feet off. There is nothing in the capital that we thought was boring except the mint where they made the money. We had a long line and it was a printing shop, just on a grander scale. Glad you are enjoying everything. And hot dogs are amazing! The way you described them--ah yes, I do remember how wonderful. That is one of my good meat memories.

Ann, so glad Holly had a chance to meet Alan and Maria. I think your tips on what to see have probably helped them maximize the experience--all of you have probably made the trip more memorable. Maria, are you getting a big Matilda-Poppy-Saskia homesick?

We had a 3 day holiday that was busy, for sure. On Friday babysat Makenzie and Kyle and family came up to spend the night. They had just left on Saturday when my high school friends came up for the day. Next morning we went to see hubby's only aunt and went to a barbecue and then on the holiday took her to the ceremony at the little town cemetery. You know, this makes the Memorial Day memorable. Just a wonderful tribute to our soldiers. And like Maria says, isn't it a shame we are still having wars? Arlington certainly is a beautiful and thought-provoking experience.

Well, I am glad Maria updated her blog. Don't know what I will read after she goes home. And yes gas prices are killing us, even though they have gone down slightly. We are paying 3.29/gallon now.
Glenda
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 AM   #6  

Glenda I agree with you. I will miss Maria's blog when she goes home. Your weekend sounded busy but fun. It is awesome to keep up with your high school friends. I bet you all still look the same. lol
2 days of school left. Good thing cause it is so hot in there. I was trying to talk the principal into ac but he wouldn't go along with it. All this humidity makes everyday a bad hair day.
Maria - hot dogs and Kentucky Fried. You are expanding your diet. I can go with the hot dogs but the chicken and me don't get along. I am sorry to hear about the disrespect at the moment of silence but am not surprised. Some people do not know when to zip it up and turn off the cellphones. Enjoy the rest of your trip. I hope it is a little cooler so you don't melt.
Slavika I am missing you here. How is the little puppy?
Ann - did you ever decide on a paint color????
Peggy
Old 05-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #7  
Web Nana

Good Morning
We are heading to the Cape today to visit my friend. She is hanging on but when I talk to her on the phone I can tell she is not as sharp as she has been.

As for disrespect, I am afraid it is in all parts of our lives. At church they have put up a sign that ask all to turn off phones, pagers, etc. At Mass one day someone's phone rang and the priest officiating at Mass said..."If it isn't God, don't answer it!" I thought that was a good comment.

Maria: You must be pretty exhaused after all that walking in Washington but I am glad you got to see so much. I hope you enjoy Annapolis and the Amish country....we have visited both and really like those areas. You are on the short side of your trip but there are still lots to be seen.

Oops, Jack, is almost ready to leave....I will have to move it.
Gloria
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #8  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Everyone: I am beginning to think that disrespect is a part of the 'me,me' generation. Nothing is as important as 'me'. Isn't that a sad commentary on the world today.

We have had the same notice in our bulletin about cell phones etc. Some time ago someone had left their cell on the fron seat of the sanctuary, and it rang and our Pastor went down and answered it, and said "why aren't you in church?"

I too will miss Maria's blog. I think we all must go there regularly and when she hasn't updated are disappointed.

Maria- From the way we are all talking you'll just have to put some pictures and dialog there when you get home.:

I am happy to report we finally got a very cheap flight to Williamsburg in July and so are going to be there with the kids for a few days. So we will get to see the new room, andHolly tells me I will be able to try out her Spa. We have a cat sitter too.

Today was another eye check-up and I had to have another shot of medication in the right eye. Then next week will have another laser treatment. I am getting used to the shot, so now it seems like no big deal. When I tell others about it, they are the ones who 'freak'.

Peggy: I did decide on yellow and glossy white, and will start with a darker layer and then with the texture roller put on a lighter color. If you go to Lowes, check the Laura Ashley display rack and look at Cowslip 4 and 2 and 1. I am not sure if I want the second layer to be 2 or 1, but I think it will look good. I haven't been able to get started because I will have to work on cupboard doors outside and it has been very windy, and dirty, and also we are now experiencing our annual infestation of the nasty love bugs. They would just get in the paint. But I will get to it.

Slavika: How are you and your 'baby' doing? I bet she sleeps with you, or do you keep her in her crate at night. I do love the pictures of her.

Gloria: I hope your trip to the Cape is not too discouraging and that you can bring some happiness to your friend and buck up her spirits.

Hi Trudy- What's up with you?

And Bernice- What is going on in Jersey? Have you found another house yet?

And Glenda- You'll get some sunny days soon. I bet your lawns are really green and nice.

Time to begin thinking about dinner now. . Ann
Old 05-31-2007, 07:42 AM   #9  

Ann that sounds very pretty. I will look at the colors the next time I am Lowes. I was just there the other day. It is fun to do things like that with paint - if you don't like it just do it again. Glad you found a cheaper flight so you can spend some time with your dd over the holiday. And about cell phones I always wonder why people talk so loud on them. I really don't care to hear their part of their conversation. It amazes me to see the kids come from the jr high down the street and how many have phones. When you say love bugs do you mean those off color lady bug things? They are annoying.
Glenda I hope you get some sun today. I hate when rain stalls for days and weeks. It is either one or another. We are having one of our driest Mays ever. Seems to be no happy medium.
Gloria - hope your friend on the cape is doing well. I am sure she will enjoy a visit from you and Jack.
Karen how is your dh doing? Missing you here.
Trudy-how are you feeling?
My nephew that just graduated had a friend in a tragic accident after school This kid was the driver and the 2 girls in the backseat were killed. The driver and other 2 are in the hospital. K played soccer with the driver and knew the others. They were speeding on a winding road. Very tragic. It was the one girl's 15th birthday. I feel so bad for those families. Hope that other kids realize what can happen.
Last day of school and that is a good thing.
Peggy
Old 05-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #10  
Member Florida Chick

Love bugs are black and squish and make a mess on the car, and windshield. You have to clean them off regularly or the acid in their miserable bodies will pit the paint. They are called Love bugs, because you always see two of them fastened together, mating, and after that they die. They come out in May/June and then again in September. They must have some purpose, but I sure don't know what it is.

Ann
Old 05-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #11  

G'day all,

Haven't had internet connection for the last couple of nights and have also had a bit of a tummy bug but feeling better tonight.
We are in Lancaster Pensylvania this evening, I prepared a long blog this morning and will add our experience of Philadelphia today, a nightmare for driving but again we made it unscathed....only just!!!
I loved reading all your posts, my time is limited so I will get on with my blog, very sorry to hear of your nephews friend Peggy, good to hear you will get to use Holly's spa soon, Ann, you will love it. Glenda I noticed on the weather you have been having some pretty bad weather.
Gloria we will be heading over your way before you know it.
Slavika and Trudy....where are you...you are missed and we want to hear how Patches is doing.

Cheers
Maria
Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #12  
Fun Blonde

Maria, what fun you have had! Lancaster, Pennsylvania! Imagine! Just the fact that you are unscathed is truly wonderful. I started to say "miraculous" but don't want to scare you. Yes, I have been fussing by email about our rain, but just about everyday there is a tornado or bad windstorm somewhere. Leon planted orange flowers (remember, OSU orange?) around the patio yesterday. They were beautiful. This morning we had orange blossoms all over the patio and the plants were naked. Trying not to fuss too much because everything is pretty and green. Just enough!

Gloria, I know you are already gone. Hope you find your friend better than you expect.

Ann, glad that you get to visit with Holly soon and see the new spa. How far is that from you? Are you still dried and parched, weatherwise?

Girls, trying to catch myself. After our big gathering on Mother's Day I have been eating, eating, eating. Before that I was sort of in control. We have 6 weeks before we go to Galveston. Oh my, I need to get a swimming suit! Agony!
Glenda
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #13  
Super Surfer

Talking a beautiful day...

Hi all,
We have had a beautiful sunny day for a change. All is forgiven. I planted my flowers, finally. This is the latest I have ever planted. Usually I have everything done by the 2nd week in May. Today was hot and humid, so much moisture in the ground it is like a steam bath..... BUT... I am NOT complaining.
Also, I saw Slavika today. Her Patches is the cutest little puppy, so affectionate. Makes me want a dog more than ever. Can't talk DH into it though.
All in all, I had a great day.

Maria, are you getting tired of all that driving and sight seeing yet? No doubt you will be glad to get home in a couple of weeks. Lots to see and do before you leave the USA. I am looking forward to reading what you think of Niagara Falls. I have an opinion on the place..

Glenda, I can relate to mindless eating. Have been guilty of that recently too. I had lost 2 lbs., but gained them back this week.

Ann, I am convinced that every area on this planet has something that everyone else would say EWWWW to. Never heard of Love Bugs, have you heard of Canker Worms... they are dining on all the leaves on the trees right now. We will get a couple of bad years, then the disappear for a while, but they will always return at some point..... EWWWW.

Peggy, that accident was awful. Those girls were so young. What will happen to the driver?

Gloria, enjoy your visit to the Cape.. that sounds so nice. Sorry that your friend is having trouble. My DH and I were talking today about getting old, and having the ability to do things, and think slip away from us. We all make jokes about it, but it can be so hard.

Bernice, I forgot you were looking for another house. The housing market here is so hot, you have to make your mind up immediately, no chance to think it over. Houses sell for more than the asking price. We never buy anything without thinking it over, so house hunting is something we don't plan on doing.

I can't believe I actually posted something without complaining..
Have a great weekend everyone..
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #14  

G'day everyone,

Our last day in Lancaster and what a nice city this has been. The Amish add a little yesterday charm to the place. We went to the market on friday and the fresh fruit and veg bought by the Amish to market was just fantastic, the colours and the freshness just screamed 'healthy'
I am not much for contrived exhibits and won't be going on any tours but rather drive again ourselves through the country side and hopefully capture some more shots like the one on my blog.
Glenda I think we have all fallen off the wagon a bit lately. My only saving grace has been the stomach upset which is still bothering me and making me eat very little, I wished I felt a bit better but I console myself with hopefully loosing a few pounds!
Nice to see you Trudy, yes I have to confess that I am getting tired of all the sight seeing and look forward to being home in one place for a while.
I am hoping we will make it to New York in one piece, we have had a few hairy moments.
Your view of Niagara Falls sounds a bit ominous, I will give you my honest view on it. We will be going into Canada to see it.
Glad Slavika has got Patches, it will certainly keep her on the go.

Must go....places to go...people to see

Cheers
Maria
Old 06-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #15  
Net browser

Hi Gals, well my little "Patches" has been called several names in the time that I have had her and not all of them were sweet and loving. When she gets near the electrical cords and wants to chew on them I call her a "Little Bug***", L.B. for short...... ahh poor thing. She does sleep with me but I did buy a dog crate (airline friendly) just in case. She has walked in and looked around in it and quickly decided that she did not like it. She is sweet, and always ready to give licks or to sit on my lap. She's just what I needed. Now if I could only get her house broken. Oh well I have only had her 13 days or so, I guess it takes time. I am so happy that the rain has finallky stopped, because poor Patches has has more bathes in a short period of time then dogs usually do in al life time. My flowers are planted and today I dug my little garden getting it ready for a few tomato plants and maybe some green onion. Love reading your blog Maria and also gals I enjoy all your posts. Sorry I have been MIA but seems that between the yard and Patches there is not as much computer time. I have 106 emails that I have not opened yet. I will try to get to them today. Saw Trudy yesterday, first time since Maria left. I can't believe it's been that long. She came with a gift for Patches and a card. hee hee Patches loved the paper.
Talk to you all soon.
slavika is offline   Reply With Quote