Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-30-2007, 02:14 PM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up My First Jogging Session...EVER!

Hello all...well I have been going to the gym for a long time now and have done everything from just walking on the treadmill to spin class. But I could never bring myself to run or jog on the treadmill...it used to be so hard all the times I tried. I have some knee and hip problems that always caused me pain so I never bothered. I DREADED the idea of running. But today something came over me and I decided I'd go ahead and try it. I jogged (a slow 4.5 mph) for two minutes, then walked for two minutes for about 45 minutes altogether. It got a lot harder toward the end, but I have to admit, it's a lot easier than I anticipated. I feel SO good after this workout and I plan to make it a regular thing. I came home and made a delicious fruit smoothie to celebrate!
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

That's great! Congratulations!

The intervals are an excellent idea--they let you ease into jogging, and they help you to burn more calories all day long.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:49 AM   #3  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Nice one! Did it hurt at all? I have to say, I've never been able to jog without my knees hurting, and I'm only 20! Maybe cos I'm a swimmer my knees can't take stress. Also, I'm kind of scared cos there's lots of osteoperosis in my family and I heard jogging makes it worse for risk-people though that could be wrong...
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:08 AM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Me23- jogging is a weight bearing exercise, done properly it should reduce your risk for osteoporosis, not increase it.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:44 PM   #5  
One Pound at a Time

I'm 27 and I have had knee problems for a long time...actually just walking too much can usually aggravate it. But for some reason, the past two days I have been completely fine with the jogging/walking regimen. My only issue is I feel like I'm getting some shin pain, so I'll have to make sure I stretch really well from now on. I'm giving it a break tomorrow, so as not to stress my body too much too soon. But so far, so good. I really never thought I'd end up running on a treadmill...but hopefully I can stick to it!

Last edited by OnceUponADrive; 05-31-2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #6  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

That's great! Probably I'm just a wimp when it comes to exercise pain - that's why I like the water!
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #7  

Quote:
My only issue is I feel like I'm getting some shin pain, so I'll have to make sure I stretch really well from now on.
Google "shin splints."

Also be sure that you're wearing proper running shoes.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:41 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

OnceUponADriv - You should run only every second day, this will be easier onl your body even the most seasoned runners only run 3-4x/week... Do you take Glucosamine? I find it really, really helps me with my knees when I run...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:07 PM   #9  
One Pound at a Time

Yes, I take glucosamine. Sometimes it seems to help, other times it doesn't. From now on I will alternate one day on and one day off. And I looked up some stretches for shin splints. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Why glucosamine, if I may ask? I don't have knee "problems", per se, but every now and then my right knee feels a little stiff.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #11  
One Pound at a Time

Glucosamine is a supplement that helps rebuild joint cartilage. You can get it in any drugstore or supermarket usually in the vitamin section. It's usually derived from shellfish, though, so if you're allergic it's a no-no. The studies are up and down with whether it is really effective, but I find it helps me.