Old 05-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/213/150

Height: 5'7

Question Do many of you own the LAWL cookbook?

I know today they are going to be trying to sell me stuff in bulk and all that jazz. The funny thing is they have you pick what you like on the sheet before you even taste it! I may like peanut butter but that does not mean the bars i will like.
The other annoying thing is when you open the variety pack you ahve no idea what bar awaits you! I would like to know what the heck it is before I eat it!

Anyhow on to my ? did youguys buy the cookbook and are the the reciepes easy to make. if its a things I would not have around the house I can not see buying it for me anyhow.
6digmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #2  
kelley_jelly_belly

S/C/G: 223.0/215.2/150.0

Height: 5'7"

Hi Steph,
I did buy the cookbook and personally for myself, I did not think it was worth it.I have used very few recipes from it.The main entrees I did make almost always needed things that I just wouldn't normally have on hand so that added extensively to my grocery budget.Also, I felt that alot of them were your basic recipes that you could find anywhere, but with common sense, you could adjust them for your plan.I have seen alot of the recipes from the book on this website, just bear in mind they might not be for the same portions you are allowed, but I think when you get the hang of things you should be able to figure out how to adjust accordingly for you.
kaj804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #3  
LAWL Salt Police

On the other side of the coin, we bought it and use is for quite a few things... There are some really great soup recipies as well as chicken, turkey and fish.. Those are nice because you can get very bored with chicken and fish fast...

Kelley's right that a lot of them seem like just common sense variations on our own recipies, but some of them are really clever..

Who knew you could make NE style clam chowder that tastes just as good as the real thing, but using a little flour and evaporated skim milk?

Be sure to get your "Fit to Live" guide book with the little tip cards... My COD forgot to give them to use until about 2 months ago.. They have some really good information... And you should get it for free...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #4  
.Dreams.Come.True.

S/C/G: 213/191.8/150

Height: 5'4

Dan, I've not heard of the Fit To Live book? I'm going to ask next time I go in.

I also bought the 40$ cookbook, and to be honest I love the recipes, however its REALLY cheap. My book is already falling off of the spine of it. Thats the part that annoyed me. I made the NE Clam chowder, it was very good! Also the pulled Pork BBQ was GREAT!
jessicarenee331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 PM   #5  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Steph,
You may ask them if they will let you have a sample bar or sample item. My COD is very good about letting you sample before you buy. I will go in and say "I am interested in this product, but I don't want to buy it if I don't like it and they will let me have one to try out. My COD also has a cookbook that they have on the table in the waiting room and we can check it out for a couple of days to take it home and look at it to see if we would get enough use out of it to buy it. I have one, but honestly hardly ever use it.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #6  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

I like the cookbooks, also. I bought the first one a few years ago and then the "new" one when it came out. It has lots of good ideas in it when you're looking for some variety.

If you go to www.la-weightloss.com, under "Nutrition & Health", they have the tip cards. My COD never had them. I think Danette or maybe Shannon posted about the website having them.
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #7  
Kristen-LAWL

S/C/G: 251/215/155

Height: 5 8 1/2"

I'm the cookbook junkie.. I love it.. mine is falling apart as well but I found super recipes, very quick and a lot of them my young girls loved.

Sweet and Sour Chicken, Oriental Shrimp Salad, Orange Mango Smoothie, Pasta Fajioli, Italian Style Burger and Turkey Burgers are some of the favorites in this house and I most often had all the ingreds in the house
KrispieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #8  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Height: 5'4"

For me the $35 or $45 or whatever was included in my fees, so I didn't really have a choice. But I think it was worth it, just for the mac and cheese recipe! I would have died without it!!! And the brownies are amazing too! Call me crazy, but I would have paid $40 for those two recipes alone
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

LOVE the cookbook! I found it a great help when I started.

Kelly - Is yours the new one with the purple cover and spiral bound?

There are a lot of recipes just for one, and then a lot for 4, so you can easily cook just for you or for a family. And the recipes are portioned for whatever plan you're on. The protein will say something like "chicken, 6oz or 8oz, size according to plan". A lot of it is easy and fast to make so it gets you out of the grilled chicken and steamed veggies rut that's easy to fall into.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #10  
.Dreams.Come.True.

hmm, havent tried the mac & cheese. I guess i need to!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #11  
Jill on LAWL

S/C/G: 192/157/155

I just bought the new (purple) cookbook on Ebay. I paid around $25 with the shipping. That was the cheapest that I found. I also have the old cookbook. The new cookbook is definitely better. I haven't gotten to try any of the recipes yet. However, there are a bunch that I will try as soon as I get some extra time. I think that it is worth it, especially if you can buy it cheaper. The cheapest that I saw it at my COD was around $42. I also like the recipes that are posted here. I'm going to try the Very Berry Pie this weekend.
Jillibean1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #12  
Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicarenee331 View Post
hmm, havent tried the mac & cheese. I guess i need to!
I was a mac and cheese addict pre-LAWL, so that was the first recipe (and actually, probably the only one ) that I've mastered! I just started making it with whole wheat penne instead of the normal pasta I was using before, and it's quite delicious and super-filling
Old 05-25-2007, 03:32 PM   #13  
.Dreams.Come.True.

yum, i think i need to try it. im a huge mac&cheese person, and just usually avoid it, especially since on LAWL. I've cheated and eaten 1/3C of it when at my moms or something, but nothing too awfully terrible. I love the stuff!! I'm totally going to try it now.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

I liked the mac & cheese, but when you only get two starches a day, I hated to burn both of them on one thing. But it was yummy.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #15  
Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlawchik View Post
I liked the mac & cheese, but when you only get two starches a day, I hated to burn both of them on one thing. But it was yummy.
I agree. That's why I was so glad to be put on blue; the extra starch makes things like mac and cheese or my weekly strawberry crepe at Cora's more doable, so I'm not starving myself the rest of the day!