Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 07:09 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default wild yam cream

After reading about the bust pills in the other post, I wanted to add an additional comment, but it seems to need it's own thread as I'm going off topic, lol. Any comments are welcome

The main ingredient in these products (bust enhancers) seems to be Wild Yam, which is used in many over the counter, health food store type products for it's estrogen content. Again, this is an unregulated ingredient.

Drugs.com has this to say about wild yam..

Who should not take wild yam?
• Before taking wild yam, talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care professional if you have allergies (especially to plants), have any medical condition, or if you take other medicines or other herbal/health supplements. Wild yam may not be recommended in some situations.
• Do not take wild yam without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant or could become pregnant. It is not known whether wild yam will harm an unborn baby.
• Do not take wild yam without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. It is also not known whether wild yam will harm a nursing infant.
• There is no information available regarding the use of wild yam by children. Do not give any herbal/health supplement to a child without first talking to the child's doctor.

• Wild yam has not been evaluated by the FDA for safety, effectiveness, or purity. All potential risks and/or advantages of wild yam may not be known. Additionally, there are no regulated manufacturing standards in place for these compounds. There have been instances where herbal/health supplements have been sold which were contaminated with toxic metals or other drugs. Herbal/health supplements should be purchased from a reliable source to minimize the risk of contamination.

This from Intelihealth..

Many wild yam creams are sold by health food stores, and the manufacturers allege that ingestion will raise the body's levels of "important sex steroids," namely estrogen and progesterone. Technically, Mexican wild yam and its relatives have some limited steroid activity, but to derive estrogen- or progesterone-like effects, one must consume large quantities and consume them raw. Some authorities denounce "wild yams as a scam," because the yams have only been converted into progesterone in labs and no one is aware of a naturalpathway in the body that will convert the yams into active human hormones. Many wild yam creams have no active ingredients. Some have no yam extract in them. Overall, wild yam cream is ineffective and expensive. A one-month supply costs more than $25, while a month's worth of commercial conjugated estrogen cream costs only $20.

===============

On a side note, I tried wild yam cream several years ago. I was scheduled for a routine physical and when I arrived, I found that my doctor had left and was replaced by a homeopathic physician. I told him that I needed a refill of my estrogen patches (I had a hysterectomy years ago) as well as my beta blockers. He didn't want to give them to me, he wanted me to go to the health food store and buy a jar of yam cream instead. I was thinking to myself "this man is nuts, I have to get out of here". But by the time he'd finished with me, I couldnt wait to get to the store and buy the cream. He had me convinced that wild yam cream was the secret to solving every health problem I had, from hot flashes to heart valve disease! He quoted a lot of literature, which was repeated by the health food store sales people (which tried to sell me various books on the product).

In the end, the cream did absolutely nothing but put a $30 dent in my wallet. I did the research after the fact, and learned that it was all hype. Even the books touted by the health food store were highly criticized.

I called my doctors office back to ask for prescriptions, and learned that the doctor I had seen was fired shortly after my visit, due to the dangerous advice he was giving the patients.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:04 AM   #2  

im so glad im scottish and wouldnt know a wild yam if it hit me right in the face , some companies will put anything into products and stick a label saying fat loss or enhance this that and the next thing .....its us silly people that time after time fall for it, i for one have bought miracle pill after miracle pill only to end up constipated or the reverse now ill save both my lbs and pounds
Old 03-13-2002, 02:25 AM   #3  

i yam what i yam, so i won't take any wild yam extract.

yes, i've had little sleep, and yes, finals do start in 3 days. how did you know?
Closed Thread