Old 05-19-2007, 06:36 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #22

Good morning gals! I just goofed this post up so I guess I will start over! Today is commissary day and I don't even have my list made up so when I get finished here, will have to get on the stick. I went to Target yesterday meaning to get some Kodak film as Walmart only sells and processes Fuji now and Jack doesn't like it. I walked past the cameras and found a great sale deal on a Nikon and called and talked to Jack about it and he said go ahead. I then went to Walmart and got a 2 for one deal on a memory card so we now have enough memory for about 500 pictures! I think we have just enough memory for the new baby pictures! I can also post my knitting projects for you. I warn you, I had been shopping all day and it was late so I had taken my makeup off and my hair was all mussed so I look pretty weary and worn, besides the fact that losing weight is showing on my face and not in a particularly good way!

I don't have the option of having patterns that accomodate my size so I have to adapt them and sometimes it works and sometimes I overshoot the mark, which I did with the cardigan. I made the sleeves way too big, but I push them up anyway so it is ok. The blue one is the sparkly top and I now have the sparkle stuff all over the rugs, the furniture, the pets, the bed etc. Anywhere I knit or lay this thing down. I keep vacuuming and sweeping up bits of the stuff! The other one is Thomas's Cub Scout earflap hat for him to wear on Fall campouts. I think it came out pretty well if I do say so myself.

I am also including a pic of the bag Kelly bought me for Mother's Day to keep my yarn in. I think it is so cool.

Jean: Man, I was hoping that at least one of the strollers would get to you in time. Watch, it will show up on Monday to your house!!! I just went yesterday and mailed the stupid package to my sil and then sent the gift card in an envelope separately so what happens, happens at this point. Oh and I emailed all those instructions to my son about when to call us, day or night, etc and this is the response I got from him. "Oh I forgot to tell you We had the baby already He's a pretty cool dude You'll like him." I told him I thought whomever was his mother should have beat him more and that he gets no birthday or Christmas present for being a smart aleck!

I hope everyone has a great weekend! I am off to do morning chores and make up my grocery list. TTFN!

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-28-2008 at 06:17 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon! I brought a load of laundry upstairs and thought I would take a minute to check in. I need to make a grocery list and a WM run for a birthday gift for Zowie. I think a doll to ride in the phantom stroller is in order. I will be really po'd of all 3 strollers show up Monday! The kids will be here next weekend so I hope I have at least one stroller for her to play with.

The thermometer says it is 75, but the wind is blowing so it feels much cooler.

Bob drilled some holes in the basement cement block foundation this morning. He thought he would get a gush of water, I guess. There was a little, but nothing major. The basement is slowly but surely getting dry. I have lots of stuff to go through in the garage . . . Bob says nothing is going back downstairs without my going through the box first. Sounds like a good plan; now all I have to do is get started.

"Gma" -- Thanks for starting the new thread! I didn't realize I was #18 yesterday. I had to laugh at Jay's email back to you. Your pictures came through great. I am so impressed with your knitting projects! You are talented for sure! The bag looks like it will be handy to keep your knitting in. In a previous post you asked if we had any vacation plans. We are going back to the MN resort again this summer, with my side of the family. They have really increased their rates and once my "mom" is gone, I'm not sure that we will continue to go. We also have our Maui reservations for next Feb. Gas is $3.49 here and I think the rest of our trips will be to MIL's which is an hour away and to see the kids. I hate to think what gas for the boat will cost; in other years it has been $.50 to a dollar higher simply because it's available on the lake. The gas stations are all higher up there too, because of the tourists.

Hope you all have a nice weekend. It will fly by as they always seem to do.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:11 AM   #3  

Good morning ladies. I hope I find you all well on this lovely Sunday. We are supposed to be nice and sunny again today. It started cool yesterday morning, but warmed up a lot by afternoon. I got the shopping all done, Jack got a haircut, we had lunch at Macaroni Grill as a special treat (we had never been there before) and today we will pack and then wait for the call. Do you remember the Lucy episode when she was pregnant and Ricky, Ethel, and Fred all had a game plan and kept practicing calmly until she said, "This is it!?" They then fell all over each other and dropped her suitcase, etc. Well, the little smart aleck I gave birth to and is going to be my new grandson's dubious father... called here yesterday. When Jack answered the phone he heard a siren sound and a voice saying, "This is a drill, this is a drill!" Jack started laughing and I yelled over him that I was going to slap that boy when I got to Indiana.

Today I am going to clean the downstairs, Jack is going to get an oil change in the car to be ready for the trip, then tomorrow Fortune goes to the groomer so he is all pretty in case we have to take him. I actually expect her to go into labor sometime the week of Memorial Day, but we shall see. I know she shouldn't have problems until then, but you never know. Best to be prepared at any rate.

Jean: Since the hat was a whiz bang to do, (just took me a about 3 hours actually,) I have an easy pattern for a hooded sweater I am going to start him to finish out his Cub Scout stuff for his birthday. I am going to work between it and the blanket. I only have 4 blocks of color to finish on the blanket then a round of SCrochet around the edge and it will be done. I sure hope something comes for that little one's birthday. A new dolly sounds like just the ticket for her.

Everyone have a good rest of the weekend. I am going to get started on the sweater I think then get started on the house in a couple hours so as not to wake Jack.

Faye
Old 05-20-2007, 11:00 PM   #4  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a very long day and I need to think about tomorrow being Monday again. *groan* We went to early church so that Bob could sing with his group, and then headed off to Zowie's birthday party. The 2 1/2 hour drive didn't seem nearly as long getting there as it did coming home again. I'm just glad it is light later. It was hot and windy, but the kids had a grand time. We did stop at ToysRUs and they didn't have the stroller I was looking for either. I told Amanda that if no stroller shows up this week I will send her the $ and she can choose the one she thinks Zowie would like.

"Gma" -- I had to out loud at Jay calling for a trial run! How will you ever know when it is the "real" deal? Zowie loves shoes; Beth got her a pair of plastic dress up shoes in pink with feathers and sparkles, to go with a fairy dress up outfit) while I got her a pair of purple ones with baubles and ribbons. I am surprised at how well she can walk in "heels" that are still too big for her. Kolby thought the fairy wings were just the neatest thing; we kidded Kolby's dad that he looked pretty cool in "pink." The doll was a big hit; the clothes come off so I suppose it will be naked the next time I see it.

I have laundry going and need to switch loads, and then I am heading to bed. Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #5  

Good morning gals! Today is clean the downstairs day since I never did get anything accomplished yesterday. I took Fortune to the groomers this morning so at least he won't look like a little scrounge if we have to take him with us to Indiana and he will be out from under my feet all day. Butterscotch usually stays upstairs most of the day so I shouldn't have him underfoot either and may get something done. I do need to run some errands fast though before I come back and start cleaning.

Jean: Sounds like the birthday party was a big hit as were the gifts! I know what you mean about return trips. The last hour coming back from Indiana seems like it takes an eternity. Jack is convinced she will go into labor in the daytime and I have tried to tell him most labors start in the middle of the night. There is supposedly some scientific fact with regards to why, but I can't remember exactly.

I got a nice long email from my best friend in Indiana. She and I have been friends since 7th grade. She is an only child and her parents had her when they were in their late 40's. Her mom, who is now in her 90's is still living, but I don't think it will be too much longer until she is gone. She is the sweetest person in and the world and I am closer to her than my own sisters even though we don't see each other much. Her parents were always so good to me.

I started a hooded sweater for Thomas to go with his other Cub Scout stuff. It is the same yarn and colors. I have the back almost done. It is really a quick knit up so I should be able to finish it maybe while we are in Indiana. I then want to start on Christmas projects. I have a sweater I want to knit for T and some other stuff for other people this year. My dil loves scarves and I found a beautiful lace pattern that I might try and make for her.

Well, this isn't getting anything done and I have tons. Have a good Monday!

Faye
Old 05-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #6  

Good morning, ladies! Finally got the boss off to Quito, Ecuador so now I have 2 weeks to play catch up at work.

My ear now seems to be completely normal so I'm thankful for that. Stan's OP surgery is over and he is mending. He has 2 small incisions, one near his elbow and the other at the edge of his armpit. The graft connects them. You can see and feel it. Right now it's still pretty black and blue, but it's working well as far as the blood flow goes and he says it's feeling better every day. He did so well that when I went to the recovery room after the surgery he told me he wanted to go out to eat. So we went to the Belgian Waffle for an early afternoon breakfast. His Medicaid was approved for another year so that is a huge relief since Medicare only pays 80% of dialysis costs.

I have to get back on my Curves schedule. I've let is slide now because of all I've had to do and the ear trouble. Fortunately my weight has stayed the same, no matter what I ate.

Faye, love your cardigan and sweater and I'll take the bag anytime you don't want it anymore. Glad to see you still have my hair style.

Jean, have the strollers arrived? I think you need to make the doll some clothes. I've made a lot for my Goddaughter, even a mink coat and beaded wedding gown for Barbie. Thank heaven I don't have to do that anymore. Those little things are hard to sew.

Working on my quilt blocks now. Put a quilt in the frame so I need to get quilting on that.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The wind is blowing like crazy and the sun is hiding behind a cloud again. We are supposed to be getting "some" showers tonight with heavy thunderstorms tomorrow. Just what I need! Well, I have one doll stroller and it is the one I ordered a month ago! It will be interesting to see of two more show up.

"Gma" -- Funny you should mention labor starting in the middle of the night. Amanda mentioned that when Ian and Zowie get to be teenagers, she and Jason will interrupt their night's sleep, every half hour, just as they did when she went into labor in the middle of the night. The stroller that came today is the one I ordered a month ago and is no longer available. Obviously "someone" is not doing their job! Hope you got all of your chores done in short order.

Susan -- It's nice to see your post today! I'm glad your ear is back to normal and Stan came through his surgery in good shape. My mom made Barbie clothes and Cabbage Patch doll clothes for Beth. I need to go downstairs and start sorting through the boxes. I know the girls both have CP dolls now.

I'm off to put in another load of laundry. I love to go on the weekends, but I sure don't get much done around here. Have a relaxing evening and a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:36 AM   #8  

Good morning gals! Jack believes in sharing everything with his wife so he shared his cold. It wouldn't be so bad except for the darn headache. It is almost too hard to see it hurts so much. Ahh well, I am trying to get a jump on it and get over it before we "get the call."

Jay called last night and talked baseball with his dad for a few then talked to me. He said they were going to a parenting class last night but he didn't really want to go because he knew how to take care of babies. I guess she has dropped significantly now and has contractions on and off. He said they thought they were going to be heading for the hospital on Sunday night, but they went away. He said she looks huge and he thinks the baby is going to be big. I told him she should thank her lucky stars she has wide hips because it will make giving birth a lot easier take it from one who knows. Jay weighed nearly 10 lbs. I am hoping she can hang on until after Jack gets home Friday night then she can have it anytime. Jack has 4 days he can take off and if she would go into labor anytime after Friday, he could take all weekend, the holiday Monday, all week then we could come home the following weekend.

We packed our clothes after talking to Jay last night and I am getting stuff together to put into the car we need and putting it by the front door. My one neighbor, who is a dear sweet elderly lady is going to get my mail for us. I just have to call her. She said she would watch the condo also.

Susan: I am so glad your ear is doing better and that Stan came through his surgery well. I hope this does the trick for him and makes it easier to handle what he has to go through.

Jean: Glad you got at least one of those strollers. I bought a pair of great sandals at Land's End and yesterday the strap broke. I emailed them and they are sending me out a new pair. I had bought a second pair of a different type and have never worn them so I am going to send them back and have them just credit my account for it. They have a policy that you can send something back at any time no matter what and they will refund or exchange it. You can't get better than that.

Well, I have things I should do and I have to kind of stretch them out today because this cold seems to tire me pretty quickly for some reason.

Have a great Tuesday!

Faye
Old 05-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #9  

Hi, ladies. I tell you I'm a real clutz...closed the car door on my foot and now my 2 smallest toes are black. I'm hobbling around. Playing catch up at work.

Faye, I'll bet you jump everytime the phone rings. Hope the baby comes the way you want so you can get maximum time with him.

Jean, glad you got the stroller! Just refuse delivery if any more show up. I hope the rain takes a turn away from you (as long as it doesn't come here)!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It has clouded over and looks like it could rain any minute. One final exam day down and two/three more to go. I should know the health exam by heart because I will have read it out loud 4 different times!

"Gma" -- I hope the baby comes sooner rather than later. It would really be nice if you could work the holiday weekend into the schedule. We all know they come when they are good and ready, not when it is convenient for anyone else. I hope you are feeling better. There's nothing worse than a cold in nice weather!

Susan -- OUCH! I broke a toe so I can feel your pain! I hope your toes are feeling better by now . . . did you put ice on them? No more strollers came today. Bob put the one we got together last night and all the pieces and parts were there.

I'm off to call my "mom", head to WW, and sort through some more clothes. Ian needs to find the bed in my "pile-it" room this weekend.

Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:32 AM   #11  

Good morning ladies! Hope you all are doing well today! We are supposed to have a beautiful sunny day again today. Our pool should open up on Monday, which will be great.

Susan: Boy, you sure have one thing after another. Hope the tootsies get better soon. Nothing worse than trying to walk around on sore feet no matter what the cause.

Jean: Wonder if there is an anti-rainmaker and wonder if you could convince him to come to your town? You sure are getting the rain this spring.

I read the review on the Kevin Trudeau book. I have seen this jerk on the infommercials and he is a real slick one. The only weight loss he is helping people achieve is a lighter wallet. I wish the law could find something on him and make it stick and put his behind in prison. He really crosses the line.

I am finishing the upstairs cleaning today and then going to try and rest. I had a really bad night last night coughing, fever and up and down to the bathroom so I am pooped, but I need to get the rest of the cleaning done.

I have finished the back of T's sweater and started on the front. I hope to get both pieces finished before we leave to go to Indiana then maybe I can knit the sleeves in the car. I really need to finish the blanket today, but it is so boring!

Well gals, not much excitement here yet!

Have a good day.

Faye
Old 05-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #12  

Hello, y'all!

Faye, I hope you get that boring blanket done and get on to some more fun knitting! That's how I feel when it comes time to put the binding on a quilt.

Jean, sure glad all the parts for the stroller were there - that would have been the last straw!

Toes are getting better. Went to Curves last night and it was weigh and measure day - stayed exactly the same as the previous month on everything so I guess that was good. I'm just about where I want to be anyway. I will try harder the month, though.

I'm off on Friday so that gives me a great 4 day weekend - I really look forward to that.

Starting on another pair of socks - maybe I'll get them done before winter. These will be for me.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #13  

Good Evening, Flowers! I've had a long nap in front of the TV, so now have my evening chores yet to do. It is raining here tonight. I guess we were in a storm watch this afternoon and I didn't even know it. In the case of the doll stroller saga . . . stroller #2 arrived today. It was supposed to be shipped from CA and here before last Monday. Come to find out it was shipped on Monday from WI! It is going back! Tomorrow I go to the dermatologist to find out what is going on with the skin on my thumbs. Both get callus like spots on the inside, then peel. It has gotten worse over the last couple of months and they are really sore to the point where I wear band-aides for protection. The doctor doesn't think it has anything to do with what I had on my knee, but tomorrow I hope to find out.

"Gma" -- I hope you are feeling better soon!

Susan -- Congrats on having the same #s at Curves this time. You are doing great!

I am tired for some reason; guess I will finish my kitchen pick up and head to bed. A half day of final exams tomorrow, the afternoon is make-up, and Friday morning is make-up with everything due by 11:30. The teachers have an in-service in the afternoon. Check out is Tuesday at 1:00, but I hope to be done by noon on Friday. I need to get ready for company over the weekend.

Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:22 AM   #14  

Good morning gals! Hope your Thursday is starting out well. I had a really bad day yesterday but seem to finally be on the mend. Boy, I seem to just get over one thing and something else pops up. I don't want to be going to Indiana with a cold and not get to hold my new grandson! I have been taking meds and they seem to help so I am hoping one more dose tonight might do it.

Susan: I really like making sweaters so the blanket is a real snooze for me. The baby's heart blanket was the same way. I had to force myself to keep knitting it. I did have fun making the hat, but it was a really quick knit. Glad you toes are on the mend. Do you make straight colored socks or do you buy the fun and funky yarns they have out? It is amazing the colorways the things come out, isn't it?

Jean: Kelly has this weird skin disease that sounds almost like what you are describing. Her skin will blister for no reason, then peel to the point of rawness. She has to restrict a good deal of what she eats and is on medication for it. The doctor says there is no cure that she will just have to live with it for the rest of her life. I guess stress can make this condition worse.

I have been up since midnight because I started coughing and didn't want to keep Jack awake so now that he has gone off to work, I think I may hit the sack for a few more winks. I felt so bad yesterday I didn't even get the upstairs done so I have to finish it today.

Boy, I love Lands' End. My new replacement shoes came yesterday and with a free postage paid return label. I have the other box ready to send the other shoes back and get replacements for those too as I haven't ever even worn them. They are sandals and have an odd foot bed and I guess with me being flat footed the foot bed just doesn't work because I end up walking on the sides of the shoe. So, I am sending them back and replacing them with another sandal of the same price. I do love these beach trekker sandals though. I can walk for hours in them and they are cheaper than Clarks. They are very casual almost sneaker looking though so they aren't for dress slacks or dresses or whatnot, more the jeans look.

Well, I need to get going if I am going to get work done today.

Have a good Thurday!

Faye
Old 05-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #15  

We are in for a beautiful weekend - if the weatherman is correct for a change.
Hopefully I can take my husband out for awhile.

Going to get new tires on my car and the oil changed tomorrow.

Faye, I get the funky yarns that look varigated but knit up into stripes. They are so much fun. Hope the baby decides to get here in the next day or 2.

Jean, you've almost made it through another school year! I know you are looking forward to summer vacation. Wonder if stroller 3 will make an appearance.

Have a nice holiday - I'll be back on Tuesday!