Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default good vegetarian recipes??

Hi, I've just started on my weight loss journey and was wondering if anybody knew of any good vegetarian meal ideas that don't contain loads and loads of carbs? I'm finding this pretty difficult already and would love to hear of any suggestions anybody might have.
themonkeysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:54 AM   #2  
Zus
Hot

S/C/G: 85/84.4/72

Height: 1.73

I use the Vegetarian Menu Mailer from savingdinner.com
Zus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #3  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Post maybe I can help some...

Hi , I have been on a most vegetarian menu for 20 yrs( I eat fish). It has gotten easier to find recipes in the past few yrs then when I began, especially finding them on line.
Here are some sites and searches you can do
allrecipes.com
cookinglight.com
vegetariantimes.com
recipecottage.com
foodnetwork.com
soar.com

women's health magazine, prevention also has a recipe site.
Most major food sites do have a place for vegetarians, unless it is a beef site ect..
I also do searches for ethnic foods, and have cut down on pasta, instead I eat veggie burgers, tuna, hummus with veggies, black beans with salsa. It is hard to cut down on carbs being a veg, but there are days that it is possible. Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #4  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

There are so many options for vegetarians, and plenty of them are low on the carbs. You might want to check out the fat free vegan kitchen fatfreevegan.com, focuses on low fat but has many recipes that are well balanced and healthy. I have also found inspiration and loads of food ideas out there in the blogosphere, I blog about food a bit myself and have a lot a veg food blogs linked from my page (it’s linked in my sig). If you’ve got a particular type of dish you’d like to find a recipe for let us know and I’m sure someone will be able to give you a great suggestion.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

There are some good ones in this area:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=150

I really like the Vegetarian Times magazine and Veg News- they have great articles and recipes.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #6  
Buhbye, saddlebags...

S/C/G: 170/164/135

Height: 5'5"

blog.fatfreevegan.com

I have loved everything I've prepared off of this woman's site. It's all incredibly flavorful, fun and low-fat... AND animal-free. Since I live with my boyfriend who is a vegetarian but a cheese eater, he just adds cheese (if the recipe calls for "chreeze") after the meal is prepared. Definitely worth a spin through.

Also, I have done approximate points breakdowns (Weight Watchers points) of many of Sarah Kramer's recipes in La Dolce Vegan and most of her supper meals are under 8 points... which is right around where I like my suppers to be. So you should most DEFINITELY check out her books, they are total musts for young hip veg women!
weeblesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #7  
Lydia

S/C/G: 232/172/140

Height: 5ft 7

I've been a vegetarian for 11 years now and although quite alot of it is high in carbs, a high carb diet can make u lose weight too, it's not as drastic weight loss but a steady loss, I usually lose 2lbs a week on a high carb veggie diet! So explore loads of different options, remeber most types of quorn are free to eat, avoid linda mcartneys stuff though, full of fatn xx
jellyfrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265

Height: 5'6"

Default carbs aren't always the bad guy..

carbs aren't always the bad guy .. and when you're eating vegetarian it's hard to exclude them ..

my "thing" has been to include whole grains - like brown rice and whole wheat couscous and ... you get the idea - it's not so much what you eat as HOW MUCH you eat of it -

i've been on ww for a few months now and i've been able to learn - and it is a learning process - that a cup of whole wheat pasta is plenty - and that if i don't measure it i wind up with 2 cups or more in the bottom of my bowl because, hey, it doesn't look like all that much!

i have some excellant recipes - but could you be more specific about what foods you like and then i'll be more than happy to share with you what i've found -

good luck to you - debbiev.
bigdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #9  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

thank you so much for this site! this is wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananigans View Post
There are so many options for vegetarians, and plenty of them are low on the carbs. You might want to check out the fat free vegan kitchen fatfreevegan.com, focuses on low fat but has many recipes that are well balanced and healthy. I have also found inspiration and loads of food ideas out there in the blogosphere, I blog about food a bit myself and have a lot a veg food blogs linked from my page (it’s linked in my sig). If you’ve got a particular type of dish you’d like to find a recipe for let us know and I’m sure someone will be able to give you a great suggestion.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Also give vegweb.com a try. I have a vegan friend who swears by it and I've gotten a lot of great recipes from it too. It's not all vegan by any means and has a lot of variety.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote