Old 05-17-2007, 09:49 AM   #1  
Started June 1st '07

S/C/G: 205/165

Height: 5'6"

Default Grilling Season

I'm guessing hot dogs & brats are off limits since they're not in the book.

There's nothing better than a grilled ball park hotdog in the summer
Snowdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #2  
New mommy again :-)

Height: 5'2"

Unfortunately, probably not

I did find some hot dogs at the grocery store that were all beef, no nitrates, blah blah blah...for $5.99/pack!!!! Holy buckets...but if they're on-plan, I'll buy 'em.
emmysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #3  
Nancy is on the go again

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'3'

Ya! Stay away from the dogs and brats... the Salt Police will be after you for days!!

I like chicken marinated with fat-free italian... or fat-free anything... the kids loved it! Last time I fixed something like that, I forgot about the kids, and thought that they have the hamburgers and hot dogs... but they all swarmed around my little portion of chicken, and needless to say, I only got one little bite!!
LittleBlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

veggie dogs are ok! 2 for one protein on red.
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #5  
Started June 1st '07

S/C/G: 205/165

Height: 5'6"

Ohh, chicken marinated like that is SOO good !!

I kinda figured they were a big NO when I tried searching the forum for hot dog and didn't find anything :-) Thanks for reminding me about that chicken though - another fav !
Snowdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #6  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

How are veggie dogs? Haven't tried them - but hey, hot dogs are all lips and a**holes anyway (John Candy "great outdoors" reference) so veggie can't be that much different!
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

there are many different brands of veggie dogs. some are better than others. the Morning Star Farms frozen pack is the one most often found in the normal grocery stores but not my favorite they can get a bit rubbery. the ones that come in cans at health food stores are better, once you get some condiments on there they don't taste much different than a real, put some sour kraut on there some hot mustard, onions. mmmmmmmmmm I like to use a half a hot dog bun, the dog will stick out each end a bit, but not much, it really is the right size.
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #8  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

HMMM - may have to try that on Memorial Day!
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #9  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimphin View Post
How are veggie dogs? Haven't tried them - but hey, hot dogs are all lips and a**holes anyway (John Candy "great outdoors" reference) so veggie can't be that much different!
love it

I would think an all beef hotdog would be ok. They are expensive........but they are really yummy. I never used to spring for them.....now they are the only dogs I buy.
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 PM   #10  
Amy

Last summer we made veggie kabobs on the grill: yellow squash, celery, onion, and zucchini. We marinated them in FF Italian first. They were SOOOO good. I highly recommend!
JerseyMadchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #11  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

First off what do all you mean by grilling season? My father's been known to grill x-mas dinner.

If I'm not grilling outside, (which means there's ****ty weather outside) I'm using my George Foreman to grill.

I don't even go near hot dogs anymore, then again I grill daily. Any of the squashes or peppers can be tossed right on the grill with no need to marinade, a little olive oil pam does the trick.

As for the meat, if brat's are out, mix ground turkey with an egg and some diced veggies, roll and form, you have a healthy alternative. Any type of chicken can go on the grill. The same thing goes for fish, a light marinade and toss on the grill.

Now you all have me thingking what I'm marinating the chicken in tonight, I know I'm grilling asparagus with it, it's just a matter of finding the right marinade.

Oh, and grilled pineapple makes a killer dessert. Litte fat free coolwhip and it's a dream.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Another suggestion is to have the veggie dogs grilled and then split open a 4" whole wheat pita and wrap the hot dogs in each half. On purple and red it's 2 veggie dogs = 1 protein. May look a little strange, but it tastes pretty good.

And the Boca Italian Sausages are pretty good too.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:09 PM   #13  
Flirty Girl

S/C/G: 330/295/140

Height: 5'5

Red face Veggie Dogs Rule~

OK so - The Morningstar Farm Veggie dogs are the best tasting for the lowest fat/cal you can get. They are my favorite even over real hot dogs.
They are not rubbery if you cook the right... try boil, fry or grill, wih a little fat free cooking spray- they do stick....

But for .5 grams fo fat and 80 cal for one hot dog, and like 110 for a bun... you can't beat it for getting your hot dog fix. I put on a little fat free mayo and also found sugar-free pickle relish that makes tham taste even better ....

I have tried ALL the othere brands of veggie dogs ever... Yves are gross.... BUT the Tofurky Sausages are all good, but have 9 grams of fat each! (still less than a reg hot dog) and they are BIG.... they have Keilbasa, Italiian, and another flavor I can't remember.
flirtygirl34 is offline   Reply With Quote