Old 05-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #1  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Default Shangri-la Diet

I know there are other threads about this but I wanted something a bit more recent.

I lost 50+ pounds calorie counting but for the last 4-6 months I have been semi stuck, going up and down up and down (staying in the up about 5 pounds). I am start to get a wee bit frustrated and thinking about trying something new.

Now, I know the Shangri-la Diet might seem like I weight choice but I thought maybe I should just include into my calorie counting and exercise. Just doing the sugar water/oil drink to help cut back my unhealthy eating I have been doing. Weekends for me are bad. Horrible. I can do pretty good all week but my weekends COMPLETELY fall apart. I was hoping maybe the Shangri-la Diet could help with that?

I thought about doing weight watchers, atkien, south beach - something like that but I really dont feel like I can stick to those very long. I am doing good with the calorie counting but maybe need a boost?

So comments/suggestions/tips? other ideas?

Thanks in advance!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #2  
You bite it you write it!

Height: 5' 2"

Hi sotypical!!

I just started the Shangri-la Diet one week ago, I highly recommend it!! I lost 4 lbs in my first week. It's been great, I never feel hungry, I have to make myself go eat. It's even helped with my emotional eating, not sure how but it does. And It's very easy to do it along with another diet plans...like WW or slim fast, etc...

Let me know if you start it, and how it goes!!
akacutie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:51 AM   #3  
Starting Fresh

I went to the forum last night... I started today, I hungry all day, but then I had a REALLY bad dinner
and I got full REALLY fast, lol
hopefully tomororw can be better!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:54 AM   #4  

I hope today goes better for you!

Guess the link to the website that I posted in my last reply was deleted, for some reason??

But just to let you know It can take up to a 2 weeks for your body to adjust to the oil and for you to achieve appetite suppressant. Stick with it!! It will work!!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

The weekend was okay, I ate a lot - but that was more because family was around.

Anyway today is going awesome, I can't believe how NOT hungry I am. I haven't had a lot to eat and I am just not hungry. It's weird! I just need to break the habit of eating! It seems gross drinking the oil, but apparently it really helps with dry skin and hair - witch I have.

I am drinking pure olive oil - what are you using?

Does someone know a healthy oil that gives me lots of benifits?

From what I can tell... most people think this diet is very unheathly
Old 05-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #6  

Wish I would have seen this sooner!! I use extra light tasting olive oil, it is the best working oil by far!!! And is highly recommended by Seth Roberts the creator of the diet. Regular olive oil does not work...I would switch over immediately!!

And the oil is very good for you skin and hair. I've been on the oil for two weeks now and my skin is very soft and so is my hair. I've lost 8 lbs now in two weeks, it's going very well. I often forget to eat, that's how good my AS (appetite suppressant) has kicked in. You should consider buying Seth Roberts book, I got it off amazon, used for 5 bucks. It's a good read, and it will explain much more about the diet then what you can learn on line.

Yes, many people say that this diet is not very healthy....but I wouldn't listen to them. You might want to consider looking into some of the health concern topics that are on Seth's forum. If you need the link again, just ask for it and I will send it to you. But I'm losing weight and I'm NOT hungry. This diet works for me! I love it!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:12 AM   #7  

Here is an article that I found on-line, on how to start your first month of SLD. I hope this info will help. Consistency is the key to this diet, I take 2 TB of ELOO in the morning and at night everyday. I don't like the sugar water, because it made me feel very hungry. But you'll have to try and see what works best for you.

Quote:
First you need to start with a commitment to taking a long, slow approach.

Second this approach is based on oil. When you use oil you need to realize that all oils are not the same thing. Your body metabolizes them all differently. Switching oils is the same as starting over, and for most people, switching oils means a loss of a week or two. Anyone who reports trying 4-5 types of oil in a couple months should not expect any success.

Third you will start with one tablespoon of sugar, one cup of water and one tablespoon of oil. To start use a 50/50 blend of canola oil and extra light (not extra virgin) olive oil. Dissolve the sugar in the water, pour the oil on top, swirl and drink at 10:00 a.m. every day. No flavor, no cigarettes, no mints, no snuff, no flavored lipstick, etc. from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

Do this for a week. At the end of the week, if you have appetite sup presion, continue. If not, then.

Fourth, adjust. If your appetite hasn't reduced, go up to a second tablespoon of oil. Do a week at two tablespoons. If it works, stay at that level, if it doesn't, go up to three tablespoons of oil. Stay there for a week, if it works, fine, if not, go up another tablespoon.

Fifth, use a food plan to start. Check out a South Beach recipe collection from your local library. Use that as a rough guide for the first two months -- using it to avoid ditto foods, to avoid high gylcemic index foods and to make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. An easy substitution is to eat eggs and whole wheat toast (dry) for breakfast, fat free yogurt for lunch, sandwich, green beans and salad for dinner. Diet soda for a snack. May get a little boring, but what you are after is stabilization and enough bulk and enough protein in your diet.

Sixth make sure you are getting enough water and enough vitamins. Note how much tea Seth reports that he drinks. I get a lot of fluids myself, even if I don't drink tea.

Seventh Join oa.org or a similar group (OA is free, which is why I recommend it).

Give this regimen two months, eight to nine weeks, if you have had problems and have decided to start, or restart, the diet.

By Stephen M (Ethesis)

Last edited by akacutie2006; 05-17-2007 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #8  
Starting Fresh

Thank you! I was using the pure Olive Oil as it was what I had in the house. When you say it doesn't work - you mean because of the taste?

The sugar thing didn't work for me, I would rather just take some oil in the morning and be done with it!

I havent really decided if I am going to do the diet - but I think I might stick with the oil as I want nicer skin and hair! haha So I might half do it... I seem to be less hungry - but maybe my mind is tricking me??
Old 05-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #9  

Yes, the regular olive oil has a taste, so It does not work, from what I've read in Seth Robert's book. For the diet to work you have to have a two hour flavorless window. One hour before taking the oil and one hour after taking it....

Well good luck and let me know if it works for you!!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #10  

I find that ELOO works well for me as an appetite suppressant - I've lost about 20 pounds. The website has a lot of useful information if you can get past the tone - it's a weird place. I find it to be a sanctimonious bunch and it's kind of cult-like around the whole SLD thing. It's odd. I prefer these boards :-) and only lurk there if I need to find some information out.
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:06 AM   #11  

Lugi, I also like the chat boards here better But sometimes I do go over to Seth's chat site and read and reply to posts but mostly just to stay updated on new things that are going on. The ELOO does suppress my appetite but now that TOM is about to start I've started having craving. I did find a lot of threads on this subject on Seth's site. So I guess for the next few days I will just up my ELOO another TB, To help curb the cravings....

But this week starting Wednesday, I plan on doing WW core plan along with taking the oil. I hope this will help me to keep losing weight fast. I'll still get all the health benefits from the oil, plus I'll be eating much healthier foods