Old 05-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal...

In a word. YUM!!! I have *never* been a fan of the instant oatmeal. Could not eat it even though I know it is good for me. However, I had been reading on here how it is different....grainier I guess is a good description. Well, I made it this AM and threw some raisins on it. WOW! I love it. I did it in the microwave. EASY to make. So glad to have a really good for you food that I know will eat on a regular basis.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #2  

MMM - after eating this the other stuff is just mush isn't it?
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #3  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

I totally agree!!! I still eat the instant as a snack sometimes at work, but at home I stick with steel cut oats. BTW, you may know this, but if you have access to a Whole Foods or something similar, you can buy steel cut oats in bulk for a fraction of what the Irish Oatmeal costs. It's the same thing.
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:04 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena2005 View Post
I totally agree!!! I still eat the instant as a snack sometimes at work, but at home I stick with steel cut oats. BTW, you may know this, but if you have access to a Whole Foods or something similar, you can buy steel cut oats in bulk for a fraction of what the Irish Oatmeal costs. It's the same thing.
Thanks! Someone told me the same thing. I paid $$ for this can to see if I really liked it, but will have to check out Trader Joe's or something to buy it in bulk.
Torister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #5  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Trader Joe's has the McCann's in a can and I have found it to be much cheaper than at a regular grocery store, but I don't know if they have it in bulk.

Steel cut oats are so good! A whole different oatmeal.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Alright, I have a can of steel cut oats here (Quaker makes it now; found it at my regular grocery store), but my question is--how do I know how much water to use if making a big batch? I want to make enough for my breakfasts for the whole week so I don't have to cook it every morning, but it says for 1/4 cup dry oats, use 1-1/2 cups water, but for 1 cup dry oats (so 4 times as much as a single serving), use 4 cups water (which is not the same proportion as for 1/4 cup oats). I don't want it to get too mushy or to still be almost crunchy--any ideas?

EDIT: Eh, nevermind. Jeff thinks he knows everything, so he gave me an answer, and they're cooking now. I'm sure they'll turn out fine--I can't wait to try them! I have raisins and bananas and walnuts and almonds and cinnamon and honey--not all to be used at the same time, but to try different flavors

Last edited by jillybean720; 05-13-2007 at 07:28 PM.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #7  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

jilly - You'll have to tell me how they are leftover. It seems they would be icky as leftovers but let me know!
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

I love steel cut oats. One of my favorite breakfasts. I make a batch for several days. They heat up just fine in the microwave. I dress mine up with a little brown sugar, spray butter, walnuts and blue berries. Fabulous!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:44 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena2005 View Post
jilly - You'll have to tell me how they are leftover. It seems they would be icky as leftovers but let me know!
I nuked them this morning and am eating them now. I haven't eaten them fressh, so I have no real basis for comparison, but it seems like a normal oatmeal consistency to me. I added a bit of skim milk and water, tossed in the microwave, mixed it up, and was good to go.

I must say I was hoping they'd be yummier. This is definitely going to take some getting used to. I put a LOT cinnamon and raisins in mine and a bit of stevia sweetener, but it still seems like any bite I take that doesn't have raisins on the spoon is bland and flavorless. I will try some other things with it throughout the week, though. Tomorrow, I'll have a mashed banana and cinnamon in it, and then Wednesday, I'll add some natural applesauce (cinnamon both days as well--I love cinnamon and have read a couple times that it may be a bit of an appetite suppressant or increases metabolism or something--something that's good for weight loss, anyway ). Anyway, I'm sure I'll find something I like.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #10  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I bought some over the weekend, the same kind as you, Jill. I was a bit surprised when I opened the container and saw what the oatmeal looked like. For some reason I was expecting bigger pieces, like large flakes or something. I'm really curious as to what it will taste like, so plan on having some for breakfast tomorrow.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote