Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #1  
beth

S/C/G: 344.8/see ticker/299

Height: 5'5"

Default Boring Breakfast

Just about every day I have cereal for b'fast (4-6 points worth). I don't like milk - so I eat it dry on the run.

It's been about 3 weeks, and even though I change up the cereal, I'm geting bored. Someone suggested protein might be more filling.... any suggestions?
gr8smyl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

You're going to get about a million suggestions, as you can eat ANYTHING for breakfast, not just "breakfast" type foods. Are you looking for something quick to make at home, something to munch on in the car, something to eat at your desk at work, something vegetarian...? If you have no specific criteria, then the sky's the limit!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

Cottage cheese and fruit would be good and easy.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175 / see ticker / 140

Height: 5' 7"

i agree nonfat or lowfat cottage cheese is good, its always good to start out in the morning with protein because the protein will help your body burn fat starting earlier. i also like having an omelette with egg whites only and peppers and a little cheese.
syncrosweetie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncrosweetie88 View Post
its always good to start out in the morning with protein because the protein will help your body burn fat starting earlier.
Is this really true???
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #6  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

non fat yogurt with fruit and a bit of cereal for cruch is good for me.
banana with peanut butter/almond butter is also good (wrap it up in a pita or tortilla if you want the bread
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #7  

Sunny-side up egg on a whole wheat Engl. muffin

Frozen whole grain waffle (I like Lifestream brand w/added Omega 3) with peanut butter and sliced banana

Plain ff yogurt and any fruit, some Kashi cereal mixed in
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have a smoothie every morning. It is pretty easy, you can blend it up or shake it up and put it in a cup to go. I usually drink mine at home while I'm getting ready.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #9  
beth

S/C/G: 344.8/see ticker/299

Thank you all so much for the suggestions!! Its easy to get stuck in a rut because its quick & easy.

Jill - I especially like your suggestion of not just sticking with b'fast food!

Nelie - what do you put in your smoothie? Any protein?
gr8smyl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #10  
hara hachi bu

That banana-pb-tortilla deal is a great breakfast, too!

I also do the yogurt/fruit/cereal thing, but I add a small quantity of nuts, ground flaxseed, and wheat germ.

Sometimes, when I don't think I'm going to get enough vegetables in for the day, I've sauteed mixed vegetables for breakfast (squash, onion, etc.). Yum.

I also keep hard-boiled eggs in the refrigerator for a quick/easy addition to a breakfast.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 93.6/92.5/85

Height: 5.4

I breakfast on the run as well, because i can't stand eating first thing in the morning. and like you eat cearal, most mornings , no milk, little brick looking things I can pick up with my fingers. I vary this with banana on 2 toast,3pts, or omlette made with 1 whole egg and 1 egg white, 2 toast 3 pts. filled with, anything point free that is not too messy to eat while driving, and won't fall all over my clothes.slice up a friut of choice also easy to reach for while driving.Always have snaks in the car, stops me from pigging out from the bakers etc.
taxi drivers!!!!! never stay skinny for long
don't forget your
MaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #12  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

I'm the queen of fixing my favorite foods (almost always not healthy) and making them healthy. One of my favorite things for breakfast is a breakfast sandwich made with a whole grain english muffin, egg white and a slice of low fat cheese, sometimes I also add one slice of turkey bacon. I used to eat this same breakfast but I'd use a big bagel with cream cheese, scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage and extra cheddar cheese (easy to see how I got up to 250 lbs. huh?)! I've gotten used to the new version and don't yearn for the old version any more.

If you need ideas of things you can eat on the go that require little or no cooking try a whole grain english muffin with peanut butter and sliced banana, any type of fruit along with string cheese (protein in that cheese!), a homemade smoothing with a little added protein powder, a small salad wrapped in a whole grain tortilla to make it easy to eat, a healthy turkey sandwich. I totally agree with what jillybean said about not having to eat "breakfast foods" for breakfast. I probably only choose "breakfast foods" for breakfast a couple of days a week.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 PM   #13  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

I like to eat things I can have on the bus while commuting ...

I find my brain works better and I wake up faster if I eat a higher fat/higher protien breakfast.

Ideas:

*Some almonds and a yogurt and some berries
*Peanut butter or nut butter on cucumber slices (these are my fake crackers)
*Tofu, TVP, or soy burger wrapped in some big leaves of lettuce ---easy to carry and since it's a patty, doesn't fall apart like a regular wrap
*Just a handfull of sesame seeds or walnuts with some fruit, like an apple
*granola, dry (okay, back to cereal but sooooo yummy)
*leftover thin crust pizza
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 308/257/175

Height: 5'10

Here's my morning tradition:
1 mini Thomas's whole wheat bagel
1/4 cup Egg Beaters (cooked in the microwave)
1/2 slice of fat free cheese
and one tablespoon of fresh salsa

For me, the salsa cuts out the flavor of the fat free sharp chedder cheese. Alone, it's almost unappetizing, but with the salsa for some reason, it's marvelous. I'm a HUGE fan of this breakfast. It keeps me going sometimes WAY past my next meal, which is usually a 10:30 snack (1 unsalted rice cake, with 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1/2 banana sliced on top) YUM!
TransformingToni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Exclamation

I agree to just about everything mentioned above (except that I'm not much of an egg-eater, never liked hard-boiled or fried eggs although I like EggBeaters for making French toast or scramble).

I wonder why we consider certain foods to be "for breakfast" anyway? Is it because they're quick to fix when we're hurrying out the door? The microwave takes care of that, you could cook up just about any little frozen entree in 5 minutes or less and have that for breakfast.

Also one time I was on vacation in Germany and there the breakfast spread at the hotel was cold cuts and cheese, so you could just make yourself a deli sandwich (or just have the c c and cheese and skip the bread)
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote