Old 05-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #1  
-- Karen --

S/C/G: 165/143/140

Height: 5' 6"

Default Best time for Starch

Seeing how I learned tis week from all you wise ones that it is best to have your fruits in by the mid afternoon if possible, I am wondering what your thoughts are on the starches. I usually try to save my starch for supper, but once in a while I have it for lunch.

Looking for opinions.... and I know you all will be able to give me some suggestions.

Thanks, Karen
slim n trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

The general consensus is have one with breakfast and one with lunch - the early is better, just like fruit. If you get three starches, then have one at each meal along with a protein. But having them for dinner or mixing it around isn't bad either. I just wouldn't save one for dinner and one for an evening snack.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #3  
LAWL Salt Police

I've grown accustomed to having one, if not both of them with breakfast, giving my body the day to digest and get rid of them. I've been trying not to do starches with dinner, but sometimes, espeically if you eat out, they are hard to avoid..
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #4  
-- Karen --

thanks for the quick replies. I do get two starches - and have tried shaking things up a bit. But maybe I will try having toast or something like that in the morning and getting one in the morning - and the other at lunch.

This might be the change that I need to kickstart my body to losing again.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome
Old 05-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #5  
hdsQrl - Megan on LAWL

S/C/G: 200.2/172/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey, good thinking...I've been doing a starch for lunch and one for dinner...maybe I'll try the breakfast and lunch combo as well. Anything to get moving again!
hdsqrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #6  
-- Karen --

I agree with you Megan,

anything that gets the scale moving in the right direction is worth a try.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #7  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

I'm not the one to be putting input I'm the evil witch who now gets 4 a day. I get the same with fruit, so asking me to cram it all in by noon (even though I'm up 8 hours at that point) is a sort of difficult task.

I do however religiosly eat a starch and fruit with meal #1 every morning. I find I actually need that carb first thing to get my body up and going. I then usually have a fruit-starch combo 3 hours later. Then one as meal #5 which most days is around 3 pm and post work-out.

Yes, I save a fruit and a starch for the last meal of the day, but in my defense if I only had 2 starches and 2 fruits it would all otherwise be eaten by 9 am daily.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #8  
Debbie on LAWL

S/C/G: 239/223/135

Height: 5'5

I too eat my 2 starches early in the day. My counselor said to avoid eating starches for dinner, if possible. At first it was hard to not eat a starch with dinner but as time passed I actually got use to it and now I don't think a thing about it.
Debbie367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #9  
Alannah

S/C/G: 260/231/140

Height: 5'3"

I get 4 starches and I try to get them in before supper but sometimes I save one if I really want it with supper. But I never have it after supper. Then again I don't eat anything after supper most days either. For me the starches have never been a big deal. I have played aroudn with the timing of them a lot and they neither speed up nor slow down my losses. For me if I can stay POP (which is a feat in itself lately) then I will lose. When I do have starches I also try to make sure they are whole grain as well.
equinetcan is offline   Reply With Quote