Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #1  
Newmala

S/C/G: 193/170/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Three pound gain...are you kidding me?

Okay. It's friday morning at 7am and what a better way to end my week than with my weekly weigh in and a three pound gain. Could this seriously have happened? I was at 161 and now up to 164. Rawrrrrrr....

Here's what might contribute but I'm not sure. Last Thursday, my day before weigh in, I seriously ate nothing all day. So Wednesday was the last time I ate. (As to why I didnt eat, long story). I was shocked at my two pound loss which brought me to an all-time low of 161 because i didnt exercise at all that whole week, and not eating I'm sure played a big part. But heck, I was so happy!

Now yesterday, I did eat. But I ate normally. I also had a piece of pizza at 10 last night (all my friends were eating it...i couldnt resist ) and perhaps that contributed to the gain.

Psshh I dont know but I'm totally discouraged right now. Seeing my charts go uphill for the first time is really depressing.

Any advice? Comments?
Newmala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #2  
ladychild.

S/C/G: ~266|Ticker|150

Height: 5'6-ish.

I know it sucks, but let me tell you - I fell of the wagon [like who rides 'em anyway, right?] two weekends ago.

Homegirl ate like 4 pieces of pizza and basically binged like crazy because I felt so bad about eating 4 slices. I ended up 8 pounds heavier on the scale, haha. But it has to motivate you to get back to your goals and know that it will happen again - but its what you do to get back on your feet that will only matter in the long term.

I bet those 3 pounds will be off quicker than you think [my 8 was gone in 2 days] - and besides, you can't let them stop you. You've come so far. Don't let it get to you!

~Annie.
Anniemal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Been there - it is so frustrating to be basically doing everything right, then see a gain. Then again, you've done incredibly well, and if this is the first time you've seen your ticker go back up, well that's just amazing!

I think you're right - the fast the day before the weigh in probably gave you an artificial low last week. And the late night pizza probably affected the scale more than it would have if you had had the same piece for a meal, instead of a late snack. But it's just a blip - get back on your plan, and it'll be gone before you know it. The biggest thing is not to let yourself eat out of discouragement. That would turn a little blip into a much bigger blip.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175 / see ticker / 140

Height: 5' 7"

you're right, your weight is often very sensitive to what you have eaten in the past day or two...i actually had an almost exact same situation a few weeks ago: i ate barely anything the day before and had gone for a run and went rowing so i had sweat off a lot, and i was happy to find myself at 152. but then the next week when i weighed myself in the morning i weighed 155. i did have a mini-binge night that week when i had 3 slices of pizza, but i was upset and surprised that i had gained 3 pounds. so really i realized that when you measure urself you need to keep in mind to be consistent. dont be discouraged by a difference of a few pounds...
syncrosweetie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #5  
Liz

S/C/G: 307/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Do you think it's possible that you could be retaining a little fluid? 3 lbs seems to be excessive for a piece of pizza. I seriously doubt you gained 3 lbs of fat...
Holdensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:52 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Pizza is full of salt, so probably you are retaining water. Just keep drinking your water to flush the salt out.

I'd suggest that you get more consistent with your food and exercise. It helps to have a PLAN in place. You also need to be disciplined about following your plan, so that you don't just not eat anything one day on a whim, and then another day eat pizza on a whim, and so on. That's how to gain weight, not lose it.

So, dedicate yourself to following your plan, whatever it may be! And if you don't really have a plan and are trying to "wing it," well, find a plan, because this doesn't seem to be working too well.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Size 26W/Size 24W/Size 8

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Scales lie. Period. Don't let one week's gain throw you off. If you gain for 2-3 weeks in a row and you know you've been good, then look extra-hard at your eating habits. But for three pounds, it could be anything. Water retention, extra fiber (both of which aren't *real* gains in my book), anything. Don't stress Just don't get in the habit of eating TOO LITTLE because it will wreck your metabolism and make it harder for you to lose long-term.
rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 294/264/140

Height: 5'6"

I have been going through this a lot lately. I will be watching this thread too!
khep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #9  
Ravenclaw Prefect

Gosh I know how it feels. It so depressing to see that scale go up instead of down. But It's like the others have been saying, you shouldn't be too hard on yourself about it, just get back on the horse and you'll be fine!

Des
DesDiamondS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I weighed myself this morning knowing full well that I had a heavy exercise day yesterday (muscles are still screaming at me) and that I'd had salty laksa for dinner and about 16 glasses of water.

Oh yeah...talk about some water retention action! Up to 141 pounds from 138 the day before lol.

I know it isn't a real gain because I've averaged 1500 in and 2500 out this week!

My body retains if I have exercised heavily the day before and/or if I eat salty food and/or I've had a lot to drink (If it's possible to drink to MUCH water than I'm definitely guilty!)

It's usually gone the next day or following so I don't mind...I just make sure the day before my "official" weigh-in i've had a low salt dinner and done my exercise in the morning lol.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Funny I fell off the wagon last night and had 3(!) slices of pizza last night (albeit the "light" pizza from Papa Murphey's). This morning I had gained FOUR POUNDS. 45 minutes later, after eating breakfast, I had lost two of them.
I'm sure all the salt in the pizza had a LOT to do with it. You've probably already shed them by now, but drink lots of water to flush out!
emilyk is offline   Reply With Quote