Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #1  
Can I be thin?

Default Frustration with COD and help w/tortillas

I'm new here, so I apologize if these have been answered before. I joined LAWL 4 weeks ago. There are some counselors at the center that I really am not clicking with . . . any ideas how to handle that?
Also, what exactly should the counselors be helping with with? I feel like I'm a "number" that they just want to get in and out. They don't give any ideas on meals, how to change things up, etc.
I've brought the nutrional information in on some items and all I seem to get is snotty replies.
For instance today I brought in the nutrional information on some of the LaTortilla Factory tortillas and on the Light English Muffins by Thomas. Regarding the tortillas all I got was "these are not approved and you can not be eating them".
With the English Muffin I was wondering if I could eat 1 muffin as 1 starch since it was light. They said "no", it says 1/2 a muffin . . . that is what it means. I'm very frustrated.
My next question is . . . I heard there are is a tortilla out there that counts as 1 starch . . . the entire tortilla not 1/2 of a 6". Does any one know what that is?
I'm on the red plan.
Thank you!
Cathy
canibthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #2  
LAWL since 2/07

S/C/G: 240 / 226.2 / 130

Height: 5'1"

LaTortilla Factory is the one that counts as one and the 100 calorie english muffin is 1S, or that's how I've been counting it anyway.
smjezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/252.6/125

Height: 5'1 1/2"

LaTortilla Factory tortillas count as one starch. My COD (not sucky) e-mailed the dietician back when I found them and confirmed it for me. The 100 calorie muffins are only to be used once a week (again, per the LA dietician). Make them e-mail the dietician. They can do that.

Here's the deal...You are paying for a service. That service is to be counseled as you lose weight. If you are not receiving that service, you need to speak with the manager. If the manager does not/will not help you, call the customer service number (on your LA Lites box) and tell them the situation. You are ultimately responsible for your body and your weight loss. A lot of times when we're heavy our self-esteem is so low that we just let people walk all over us. Stand up for yourself. You deserve to be treated respectfully. Do not allow other people to disrespect you. And if you are told something on the program and you want more information, they are obligated to explain it. It's called customer service. Unfortunately some counselors forget about that.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
bizlawchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #4  
LAWL since 2/07

OK I didn't know about the once a week thing. Why is that and boy have I been messing up on that one as I was having them every morning for breakfast.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #5  

Location: South Beacher...In the beautiful Pacific Northwest.

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlawchik View Post
LaTortilla Factory tortillas count as one starch. My COD (not sucky) e-mailed the dietician back when I found them and confirmed it for me. The 100 calorie muffins are only to be used once a week (again, per the LA dietician). Make them e-mail the dietician. They can do that.

Here's the deal...You are paying for a service. That service is to be counseled as you lose weight. If you are not receiving that service, you need to speak with the manager. If the manager does not/will not help you, call the customer service number (on your LA Lites box) and tell them the situation. You are ultimately responsible for your body and your weight loss. A lot of times when we're heavy our self-esteem is so low that we just let people walk all over us. Stand up for yourself. You deserve to be treated respectfully. Do not allow other people to disrespect you. And if you are told something on the program and you want more information, they are obligated to explain it. It's called customer service. Unfortunately some counselors forget about that.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
Good advice...and so true
mlmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:15 PM   #6  

The once a week is because they are higher in calories than a regular starch. Just like bagels and the "bulleted" items in your book, you should use them 1-2 times per week.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #7  
LAWL since 2/07

Gee wonder why I wasn't losing!!!! Thank you Cassi - once a week for me. I did that cuz I'm lazy as far as breakfast goes and never really that hungry in the morning. I really blew it today. No breakfast and then we went to souper salad for lunch. One would think that would be a safe lunch. Well I had salad, baked potato AND a soup. All my starches in one meal. 1.5 F and I counted the rest as 2V and 1P. I like that cheese shifts to a protein! It's fake meat taco salad for me tonight!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #8  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Sharon,

I thought I had the e-mail from the Dietician, but I have to go searching. I was using them almost every morning too. Then I found my new favorite breakfast--melted cheese on triscuits.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #9  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

Oh, and Cathy

After a while, you'll learn there are ways to get around the COD. We all know what to ask there and what to ask here.
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #10  
LAWL Salt Police

^^Oooo...Megan.. You so bad!

The Thomas 100 calorie muffins are not to be counted as only 1 starch at my COD either, so I know what it's like... But regarding the La Tortilla tortillas.. The menu guide says "tortillas".. Not what kind of tortillas...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 AM   #11  

When I found the LaTortilla Factory tortillas I brought the package to my COD for them to see. Since the whole tortilla is 50 calories and 7g fiber (or something like that), I wanted to see what they thought. The manager thought they would be 1S, the asst. manager thought they would still be 2. So the e-mailed the dietician so I would have the correct answer, and so their other clients would know. The dietician said they would count as 1S, but to limit them to a "few times per week". However, I was using them 3-4 times per week and doing fine. But the muffins, at 100 calories each, I would keep to 1-2 times per week max. Just my $.02
Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 139/134/129

Height: 5'4 1/2

Default I know your frustration

I'm on the Red (? I think?) plan because I'm very active (run half marathons, work out, golf)) and want to get my protein from real sources rather than bars. I have a muscular build and ten pounds to lose (five left). I find the counsellors at my center all say different things, depending on who I get. I had one woman tell me last week that I really should only be eating a half banana rather than a full one before my 21k run, because my plan says to only eat half a banana for a serving....come on, lady, I burn 1400 cals on a long run and need that potassium! I find that some counsellors are very knowledgeable and reasonable, others know nothing about nutrition!
hiraeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:27 AM   #13  
Becca on LAWL

S/C/G: 220/193/123

I hear you on the COD counselors - I actually switched centers b/c the COD where I signed up - the people had NO clue (and that includes the manager) -So I switched to another COD, and now I am very happy (okay 95% - there is the occasional one that doesn't know what she's talking about...but I tend not to get her) - I just WISH that all CODs could have fully informed counselors, because I think that the Program is the best I've ever been on, and I want to go "all the way" (and can see myself doing it), but every once in a while when I hit a not-knowledgeable counselor, it makes me feel a little shaky! You'd think that they'd train them all corporately even if they were then going into the franchise location -
stitchinchick is offline   Reply With Quote