Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8

Default where can i go get measured for a bra?

i know victoria secret does it but come on, last time i went they said they didnt have my size and sent me to lane bryant lol. where else can i go at the mall to get fitted? i just dont want to waltz into a store and ask if they dont even offer it. also, when you get fitted.. do you have to take your shirt off?
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

any major top brand department store should be able to do it. Try nordstroms, macy's or dillards. Good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

I just did this last night. I went to Macy's and got fitted by a nice little grandmotherly lady with an eastern European accent. We went together into a fitting room and I took off my shirt while she measured me. She brought me bras, and after I tried them on she came in and told me if it's a good fit or not, adjusted straps, etc.

Lane Bryant and Victoria's Secret bras aren't very good quality. I bought a Wacoal last night, that's a good brand.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica View Post
Lane Bryant and Victoria's Secret bras aren't very good quality.
Maybe it depends on the size and the style? I can't speak for Victoria's Secret, but I buy my bras at Lane Bryant, and I LOVE them. I have an awkward in-betweenish kinda size (I'm only a bitty little B cup, but I need a big number, and LB carries 44B), so LB is the only place I can find bras in my size that aren't some huge granny-like contraption. I'm 24 and am not yet ready to give up cute bras And I've never had problems with them--they all last me a long time (come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had to get rid of an LB bra).

But I've never been "professionally" fitted for a bra. I just, well, buy what fits. But if I were a bigger cup size, I'd probably want to get fitted to be sure.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 347/332/150

Height: 5ft 7in

i was measured many years ago, and i believe it was at JC Penny
Lee Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #6  

Default Nordstrom is the Best!

Do you have a Nordstrom or can you get to one? It would be worth airfare - they do the best fitting of anyplace. If you have more than an A cup consider Wacoal - changed my life and all of my friends. Consistent, no more tugging, great line...
poopymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #7  

Height: 5.5

You guys are so lucky, i`m 26 and a D cup. For me in dificult to find a bra who is not a grandmother bra. I wanna feel young and sexy not like i`m 100 years old. We don`t have all that variety here in Chile
punchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/259/180

Height: 5'11

id been wondering about that too... my bra size has been changing rapidly lately and im kind of cranky about it.
watchhershrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Nordstrom is the best place (or Victoria's Secret, if you fit into their size range). Nordstrom bras are expensive but WORTH IT. Any decent department store should do though. Something like 70% of women are wearing the wrong size bra, and I'm guessing that figure is even worse with women who are losing weight. Go get fitted, girls!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 AM   #10  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

I got fitted at Lane Bryant. Instead of going into the dressing room, this lady at the front desk simply measured me with my shirt on, and told me I was 42DD. She was right too, as those bras fit me so much better now. I too shop at Lane Bryant for the bras because for one, they usually have variety in the styles, and two, I love the fit. One tip for making sure your bras last longer.....buy a mesh bag to put all of your bras into when you wash them, so that it's not all tangled up, and then air dry them. Never put them into the dryer.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the NEVER dry your bras. It breaks down the stretchy fabrics and elastic around the band.

You can measure for your own band size-use a measuring tape, and measure snug but not tight around your ribcage-where the bottom of the bra fits. Add 5" for your band size. (A 33" ribcage is a 38 bra band size, etc.) If you end up with an odd number, try on the size smaller, and the size larger and adjust the hooks to see what works best.

If the bra "rides up the back" (meaning your boobs are dropping low in front) the bra band is too large/hooks not fastened tight enough, or possibly your current bras are worn out and need replaced. The bra should not ride up to your shoulder blades!!! If it does, it isn't supporting you-it should be just as low in the back as it is in the front.

I personally don't like 80% of Lane Brayant bras-because they have thin straps. D and above need thicker, NON stretch straps-so larger chests should look for that. Stretch straps wear out with heavy breasts...and the thin straps can dig in the shoulders.

Once you have the proper band size, try on different cups. The center between the breasts should be TOUCHING your chest. If it is all gapped out an inch or two away from the chest-the cup is too small. If you have spillage out the top, the cup is too small.

But, you have to start out with the proper band size first. It is very common for a woman to wear a band size that is too small/large, and therefore her cup size will be off as well.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I got measured at Sears, and didn't have to disrobe. It was very helpful. I'm not all that unusual a size (36B), but have difficulty finding a bra that I'm happy with because, well, let's just say, gravity is no friend of my poor old, post-breast feeding, tennis-ball-in-a-tube-sock boobs. So the part of the fitting that was the most helpful to me was that the saleswoman went around and helped me pick out 12 or 15 bras to try on (which is about 10 more than I normally would have tried). Bras I didn't know existed, bras I probably wouldn't have even looked at, left to my own devices. I have never been so happy with a bra in my life as the with the style I wear now.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Yep-trying out different styles is a HUGE thing. I have found that for me personally, underwire are the best fitting over soft cup. Even if I am wearing the correct size, I just don't get the lift and support that I like in soft cup. I also prefer and look/fit better in bras that have 3-4 hook and eyes in the back, instead of 2. I also like the nonstretch straps.

I have been able to find colorful bras, too in these styles-not just white and beige. I have black, black/pink, and some other color combinations.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 259/140/140

Height: 5'6"

I got fitted at Victoria's Secret. I personally love their bras, but I am a 36C, so I can wear any bra.
The good thing about getting fitted at Victoria's Secret is if you know you are out of their size range, they will measure you and not pressure you to by their bra.
Terrie
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 215/192/145

Height: 5'6"

If you're canadian (or canadienne) check out a la Senza store. They've fit me perfectly and were wonderful about it. They didn't seem to mind that I only wanted comfort bras and not the air-lift, push up, chin sitting on your cleavage bras.

I'm an odd size (small on a large frame) and bra-fitters at department stores were always putting me in the wrong sizes. They've also fit a friend of mine who had a much more ample busom and got her wearing the right size bra for the first time in years.
harrypotterybarn is offline   Reply With Quote