Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:07 AM   #1  
I can do it !!!!

Height: 5'6"

Question How do you work on your BELLY FAT

I have heard over and over again that Belly Fat is the hardest to get rid of.
What do you do about yours? Do you have a certain exercise that helps, or know of foods that help? I also have heard a waistline of over 35 is dangerous. What's the scoop?
Thanks all!
2Bthinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #2  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Eat less bad food, more cardio, and weights. Easier said than done, huh? Yeah, tell me about it. I also know that running burns an excellent amount of calories and works waist down.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

This is the quote that comes to mind whenever I see this question (and whenever I do up my jeans )
abs are made in the kitchen and not the gym. Hundreds of crunches won't help if your abs are hidden under a layer of fat

cut and pasted from here http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/...unches-abs.htm
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #4  
I can do it !!!!

Susan thanks for the link. I love the quote and the link.
I don't eat any differently now than before I had my kids, and never had a belly issue until the kids came....I know part of it could be age as well?
Maybe I need to educate myself on the protiens and carbs and making smarter choices, I've been counting calories, but guess there is a lot more to it than that.
I wish I could run every day. I would have a heart attack if I ran the lenght of TWO houses! LOL, I am walking a lot now that th weather is warm again.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #5  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

I've always been "chubby" but looking back, I didn't have the belly I have now. It's definitely from having 3 kids. I wish I knew how to get rid of it!! I'm trying to work out at the Y when I can, and it certainly burns when I do ab work so it must be doing something.... right?
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

We have been talking lots about tummys this week!! I have always had a tummy, boo! I find that avoiding white bread and cheese helps me. As soon as I even sniff cheese my belly seems to swell. I dont think there is a magic cure or anything for a flat belly, i think some of us are always goping to have to work super hard to keep it down!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #7  

Diets rich in complex carbs, vegetables and protein help with the belly fat. Read "YOU on a Diet" for real insight in this problem and how to "cure" it.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

I've had two kids, I'm 42 in a week. I'm gonna have a pudge down there, no escaping it. But I have firmed it up moreso and trimmed it down from what it was by focusing on situps, crunches, and I also do lots and lots of walking and some running. I also keep my tummy tight when I walk, and just whenever I can, to train those muscles.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I have understood that by strengthening your back, you are better able to "hold your tummy in" - which is a good thing, because that strengthens your stomach muscles.

I have also understood that doing crunches & so forth will be a nice layer of muscle, & that will pooch out your tummy MORE - because you bascially have to lose the fat FIRST.... then work on the muscle toning.

Whatever.... I don't have kids, so my flabby tummy must be just regular ol' fat. And it does go down & act more like a tummy should when my weight is down.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Having children does a number on your abdomen--and although you can help things by doing toning exercises, it's important to do the right ones. Check over in the Exercise Forums to see whether anyone has some tips on this.

As for fat deposits aside from that--I have always carried my fat on my abdomen, and even now, I can see that another 20 pounds of fat is still there. It will shrink as I lose more weight--but there isn't any way to reduce a specific fat deposit (short of surgery or liposuction, which I don't think I'm going to have). But--I have never had a flat, boy-like abdomen as is popular now. I always had a nice pad of fat around and below my navel, even when I was 125 back when the earth cooled...

I don't know what that comment about waist measurements over 35 means. My waist is currently 39 inches, even with all the abdominal exercises I do. Oh well.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #11  
I restore Teeth.

actually, according to my nutrition book, upper body fat (abdominal) is easier to lose than lower body fat (on your hips and thighs) on an "android" figure. I find that belly fat is hard to lose after an extent, for me- it's usually the first to go but then stops at a certain point Guess I'll never have a flat tummy!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:19 PM   #12  
Ready for a better life!

After a Caesarean section and a hysterectomy, I thought doing anything about my belly was hopeless. But after two months of 40 tummy crunches twice per week and one month of exercise class where we do 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes of weight training, I have lost 4 inches off my hips and 1 1/2 inches off my waist. I'm learning a lot here on 3FC and now am limiting my fat intake and increasing my protein. It's not a fast fix for sure, but I am seeing results!
LookingForHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #13  

Hey,
I've been going to the gym and eating differently for 4 weeks now. I've cut down on my processed food, fats and my excessive consumption of carbs aswel as drinking loads of water, eating vegetables and fruits more regularly too.
I've been doing work on the cross trainer, bike and use the machines for toning abdominal and lower back muscles. My tummy has gone down alot, I've always had a roll that hangs over but now the area over my hipbone is flat...ive still got a long way to go but I'm getting somewhere... Good luck
beautifulstruggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

BTW another way to help with the hips and waist....hoola hoop!
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #15  
I can do it !!!!

LookingForHope - that's awesome!
beautiful struggle - I need to totally educate myself about food again, and also cut out the processed food. Sounds like you are doing great.
Almost Heaven - LMAO , ME? Doinga hula hoop? HA HA HA HA HA, I couldn't wiggle my waist to make it go around ONE time! But we do have one actually!!!!