Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 09:25 AM   #1  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Default Week of March 3rd!!!!!!!!!!!!

FEb came and went and soon it will be Easter!!!

Laruen--WOW..almost one year of marriage already...So hard to believe cuz last year at this time I was stressing and U were almost ready to walk down the aisle!!!

Pryia--I dont think I have ever shovelled snow!!!It is definately a work out for the upper body!!!Dont freeze!!!!!

Bailey--I am with whoever said it...my all nighters are over with..I am too old for all that now!!!!

WE got a nice $500 bonus on Friday...after taxes it was below $300..Talk about some angry people..They took 42% taxes out of it!!!I was happy to have the $298 but was counting on a little bit more!!!It doesnt pay me to work the OT because of the taxes!!!Hmmmm...speaking of...it is time to figure out mine, then dh's and then together to see what is best!!!Life is different now that I am married!!!!!

Well off to cook some Cream of WHeat...I love hot cereal on a cold morning!!!!
Vicki

Last edited by RoadRunner; 03-03-2002 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:58 AM   #2  

Hi all.

It is cold in Texas, and that is saying something. We have had such a warm winter this year, that I never needed to by ds a new coat. But I had to go buy him one yesterday. Good thing winter stuff was on half price!!!

I haven't been able to check in since Thursday. I have been so busy cleaning out my house, and spending IRS money, that I haven't exercised either. I guess I will get back on my plan tomarrow. I have however broken 180!!! I haven't been there in five years (Since the birth of dd 3), probably even before that.

I know I am loosing more than two pounds a week, but all I have done is changed what I am eating (No more Quater Pounders with Cheese 3 times a week), and changed my portions to the appropriate sizes. Last week, we did start replacing lunch with a Slim Fast shake, but that is more calories than the plain tuna fish sandwiches on diet bread we were eating before. I am wondering if I should slow down on the weight loss, but it isn't as though I am doing anything unhealthy. One thing I have noticed is that the weight I loose is directly related to the amount of water I drink. I have heard from several people, that if you push the water and do nothing else, you will lose weight.

Ya'll must dread my posts. I seem to have so much to say, and my posts are so long. You see, since my daughters are using a computer based curriculum, we are always on the computers.

Liz - so cool that you get to see the space shuttle. That is something I would love to see someday.

Jul - you never said if you have a website. I still would love to see what you make. Do you make anything with strawberries? I know they aren't that popular, but that is what my house is done in. Also, Happy Belated Birthday

Lauren - Wow, you have now survived the hardest year of marriage. That is the year you have to get used to each others idiosyncrasies. If you did ok accepting those, the next 50 years are a breeze (well, I at least know about the next 14)

Nanci - Hope the pms is better now!!! I think I have 3 weeks of pms, and then one week of sanity while AF is visiting, and then back into pms!!! I'm with you on the need for St. John's Wart (though Valum would be preferable) when I visit my parents. Mine are great people, but I think they just have access to all the wrong buttons on me.

Pryia - I wished it would snow in Texas, but like my late step-father's hat used to say if God wanted Texans to ski, he would have made bs(I won't spell that out!!!) white. I guess it snows in Texas, but never in Houston!

Rabbit - Way to go on the weight maintain while you were away. I hope next time you lose weight!! I am still so thankful to you for introducing that phrase ("expect more of yourself") because it is changing my life on many fronts!!!

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend. Hope those pounds are falling off, and you are all expecting more of yourselves.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:31 AM   #3  
A princess in the making!

Angry 5 DAYS OP and working on 6!

Good morning! From snowbound--freezing WI!

I have beeen OP for 5 days straight and now on day 6. I have been doing good. Last night was hard, but I did not cave. I have some banked points and gave myself 2 activity points for shoveling. But have not used them.

I am thinking of walking up to the store and buying myself the Tantia scale I have wanted. But I don't know if I am up to that today. Since I know NOONE has figured out what a shovel is here. I have done some around the complex so I can get out my door and to the laundry room. But I am feeling the pain of yesterday. So I don't know how much more I am going to do.

LBH- My son's 1st communion is on your anniversary. So we have 2 things to celebrate.

RR-Feel free to head my way and shovel some of this. We really do not mind sharing.

I am hoping once my laundry is done, I will feel like working out today. I want to start on the arm weights today and maybe see if fly here tomorrow in the am.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:04 PM   #4  

Hello!

Vick, You are right time has just flown by. I for one am ready for spring. I start to go stir crazy about this time every year. This is the time of year I start gritching about living in the Pacific NW and insisting that we are moving to AZ or somewhere warmer. DH just nods at me and tells me whenever I am ready. He knows that I would have a hard time leaving our friends and family. But it gets so tempting about this time of year. The gray sky get's to be a bit much. We have had two days in a row of nice sunshine. Cold but Sunny.

Lyssalou, I love your long posts! I often think it is a good thing that I wasn't born 20 years earlier. I would have been one of those ppl hooked on valium. I have only had to take it twice but it sure gives you a nice who cares feeling. Once was to have my wisdom teeth out. I think they good have taken all my teeth and I would have said oh that's nice. My college roommate is my dental hygenist so I always tease the dentist that she works for that they ought to give me it for normal cleanings. So far no go.

Pryia, Woo Hoo on the 5 days op. That is great. You are rockin & rollin there in WI. I am sorry about all the snow. The good news is all that exercise from the shoveling.

Well I am heading out with my friend again to look at wedding dresses. She found one (and bought it) last weekend. She just wants to make sure that there isn't something else out there. We are then going to this Ben Franklin store that is a HUGE craft store. It could be scary I have really been turning into the queen of projects. I have been making wine glass charms, bracelets and earings. Dh has been getting on me about how much money all those beads are. I just tell him there are worse habits. I could be out smoking crack :-)

Everyone have a great day!
Nanci (who has spring fever)
Old 03-03-2002, 12:16 PM   #5  

"OUCH" says lizzard, after a week old, dried up orange sails accross cyber space and bonks her in the butt.

Hi to all

Fairly good on points this week - Banked a bunch during the week and used them all friday. Went over on Sat too, so will have to have a low point day today (If I have 16 I would average 25/day, so I will probably wind up just a few over for the week). However, horrible on H2O and Fruits and Veggies! Need to recommit to all 3 next week (would have to have 6 fruits, 11 veggies and about 20 gallons of h2o today to meet my weekly goals!)

Only made it to the gym once this week, but did lots of running around. Also, skied from 8-12 on saturday. I went downhill skiing twice in 3rd grade and once in high school. This was my first time off the bunny hill! BF used to teach skiing and was a wonderful help. It was so great! Neet to work on my upper body strength to help with getting up after a fall (bf had to drag me to my feet). Wish I could go every day - great exercise and tons of fun (so sore today...)

Was out of town 2 days and went over by about 12 points each day. Will be out of town 19 of the next 37 days. If I don't do better that will be, well.......NOT GOOD! (12x19 = 228 points, at roughly 50 calories a point, that is 11,400 calories. If it's true that 3,500 calories is a lb, that's 3 lbs. Not so bad, but not what I want! So, I will try to be good and try to get in lots of exercise to make up for extra points.

Need to work this afternoon and tomarrow, then Tuesday off to SLC with bf. We have not been back since we moved in June. We are so excited! Should be weird since the olympics have come and gone...

Go directly from there to DC for a conference on monday and tuedsay. Home wendesday, thurdsay, friday, then leave for europe on saturday for a conference. Back on Thursday, march 21st. Have 2 weeks at home before going to Florida for 5 days in april! I have only been on 1 trip (business) in the past YEAR - how did these all wind up back-to-back? Oh well, should be great.

REALLY want to stay op, as I would like to lose another 10 before florida. I have 4 1/2 weeks, so it is not likely, but I will do my best! Would love to feel comfortable in a bathing suit! Guess I should get my butt in gear and go to work so I can make it to the gym this afternoon!!!

LBH: Don't let the scale get you down! Hold out for your measurements - I am sure you will see good results! Keep up the great work on the exercise. Glad the review went well after all. Remember - everyone deserves McDonalds once in a while! I, myself, had a cheeseburger for lunch Friday AND Saturday!

Lyssa: If that saying is true (gain a baby, lose your mind), I had better be careful, cause there is not much left as it is . Hope dd's pink eye is cleared up - Glad to hear about the IRS$. You are doing so great with your new lifestyle! The one thing I would check is to make sure you are getting enough calories or points or whatever. I read somewhere that you should take your weight and multiply by 15 to get the number of calories you need to maintain your body weight. So, 180 x 15 = 2700. To lose 2 lbs a week, you basically need to cut 1000 calories a day, which would put you at 1700 (I know, actually under! congrats on breaking 180) calories a day. I have also heard NO ONE should go under 1,000-1,200 calories a day - it is not healthy. So, if you are eating enough calories and are still losing over 2 a week, I would not worry too much yet. I'm sure it will slow with time. How long have you been at this? Keep up the great work!

RR: LOL about the cats following you. Gosh, I can pull the occasional all-nighter although it is much harder as I get older, but I could NEVER be up that early on a consistent basis. Must be great to be off so early though.

Rabbit: Where did you go in atlanta? I miss being there - great city. That is the greatest thing about the health club - you should be so proud. Congrats on the maintain and best of luck requiring more from yourself.

Nanci, I agree that 4 oz of wine is not really a reasonable portion. More like 44 But seriously, that is what they say, so that is what I go with. I try to have no more than 16 oz on any given day, and try to keep this to 32 oz total for the week. Not easy, as we have a lot of dinner plans and everyone around here seems to drink about a half a bottle each with dinner EVERY DAY!!! It was much easier in SLC, where drinking is done but still seen as a tabboo. Anyhow, If I want 8 glasses of wine a week - I need to have 16 less food points. I seem to be able to eat a low # of points fairly easily - so I can bank them for the wine. However, after 16 oz of wine on 16 points of food, the next day is rough. Then, I want to eat like 1000 points!! So, really should just cut the wine. It is so hard, though, as it is literally everywhere here!
GREAT JOB on keeping those pigs in ther air. I now only have one pig. He keeps running across the roof of the barn and taking off, only to come crashing down . I am going to try to get him into a decent flight pattern this week, and the add more to the fleet as time permits. Sorry to hear about the pms - hope the DH and the dog pull through!

Pryia: When I was in graduate school, I lost a ton of hair. Clinical diagnosis? STRESS! So, in order to keep your hair from falling out, all you need to do is lower your stress! Now, why did I never think of that myself? And there I was, purposly keeping my stress levels high. Go figure. Anyway, 6 years later and out of graduate school it is getting thicker again. Great job on being op - you deserve a great loss when you finally make it to WI. How nice to shovel for your mom (and what great exercise)

Lizzard: YEAY on the pants!! That's great. Best of luck with the application. Sounds like others know you can do it. I am so excited for you. No I never ate the orange (tried to make a funny joke at the top, but it has probably been too long for anyone to remember). Cool on the exercise challenge and the shuttle launch. How far from Naples are you? We will be there for 5 days, but have no car and I think it is a long trip (big state!)

Elisa: Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Hope you made it through working late. YOU CAN DO THIS!! I doubt ww would recommend this, but maybe you might consider trying to take a week or 2 off and then start up again? This may be bad advice, but it might help you mentally get back on track. In addition, it might shake up your body and get it back into losing mode. Or try switching the types of food you eat. When you eat too much of the same things your body gets in too much of a habit and doesn't lose. Sorry, this is not very helpful - I will keep thinking. Just make a plan and stick to it. You will be healthier and eventually WILL get results.

BFB: We MISS YOU! Thanks for stopping in. That shirt should be great motivation. Keep lurking and jump back on the wagon when you feel ready. Hope the rest of life is working itself out.

Juldiet: Belated happy anniversary and B-Day!!! You deserved some quality time and good food. Now, back to work! You can make 20 this year! Do you have any pictues anywhere of the pigs? I think Nanci has a great idea - would love some by my alarm. Just don''t know what color!

WOW - sorry so long. Everyone have a great day!

Last edited by BaileySG; 03-03-2002 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:51 PM   #6  

hi all. Happy Sunday. Have had a bit of an m&m problem and now have points to make up for this week . . . sigh . . .

Pryia - Have fun in all of your snow! Hooray for 5 days op.

RR - congrats on your bonus.

Lyssa - Yeah for breaking 180!! WooHoo! ~ We love your long posts - no need to apologize. ~ glad to have been helpful! I keep repeating it to myself too - and I've really been changing some things.

Nanci - Hope you enjoy the craft store! What fun. I love to be creative.

Bailey - you do so good tracking your points! ~ Skiing sounds fun & I'm sure it was marvelous exercise. ~ Have a good time on all of your upcoming trips. Check in whenever you can! We will miss you. ~ I was in Atlanta opening a store so I really didn't see much of the city. Hope to do that another time - I've heard it's a great place. ~ thanks for the good wishes.

better run. will have to update my mileage sometime.

Rabbit
Old 03-03-2002, 04:08 PM   #7  

Lys: sorry I must of missed your question somewhere. No, I still don't have a website. You can see a large reef fish and a rivercut bowl at http://www.bestofmissourihands.com website. A website of my own is on that long 'to-do' list that I'm not sure if I'll ever get done. We did just get on wholesalecrafts.com but you have to be a retail member inorder to get on that site. Its for taking wholesale orders. I just spent $1000 on that and $600 on new slides...so I really don't want to spend anymore advertizing budget on a website this year. I also have $12,000 of new equipment due to be delivered in the next couple of weeks....a website will have to wait. No strawberries in our glass...but my best friend collects strawberries too.

Lys: your weight loss method is similar to what happened to me. I still haven't started exercising yet (need to now). The 43 lbs came off simply because I couldn't overeat anymore. (history of binge eatting). It was such a suprise and so easy. No I've reached the hard part - the last 20 - and I will have to work at it!!

Bailey: enjoy your trips. We'll be in FL in april too. We'll end up as far south as Naples. Have a wholesale show to do there.
We're going to spend some time with some artist friends (metal) north of Orlando. We're working on a few designs together (mixed media) plus a new mirror for my hall bathroom. We'll drop some purple vase scones in each side of it.

Nanci: no flying pigs in stock, should have some more late this next week. I'll try to remember and send you a few beads that I've made. I like those wineglass tags (neat idea).

I'm anxious for my DH to get home. He said the conference was great this year (I got bored last year so I didn't want to go this time). I'm sure the roads are fine now, but our neighborhood is still a mess. I should get out there and shovel our driveway - but I just dont want to!

The boys and I had a great weekend of cleaning house, rearranging furniture, and movies. The 'chick flick' I enjoyed most was "Woman on Top" with Penelope Cruz. Very funny. Loved the guitar guys that played all the time.

- jul
Old 03-03-2002, 05:03 PM   #8  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Jul--It must have been the weekend of movies...I never saw that one...I rented HardBall--great movie with Keanu Reeves(Yummy)and RatRace which was the funniest movie I have seen in a while......
Take care!!!
RR
Old 03-04-2002, 10:28 AM   #9  

<<Bailey, so that's what the shriveled up orange thing was!! lol!!!>>

Is everyone gonna have a good week??? I'm gonna try and control my PMS eating frenzy that will be hitting me anyday now. I tried to post a picture of the launch but it didn't work -- I'm still new at this stuff. Oh well.... You Northeners need to keep all the cold weather up there!! It's cold and drizzling here in FL and tomorrow morning it's supposed to be 40. Where is Spring???? I'm sure all of you in the teens this morning feel lots of sympathy for me!!!

We're gonna have interviews next Monday for the mgmt job. I feel good that I put in for it but I'm feeling even better now that some of my co-workers with much better technical skills than me also put in for it. I'm pretty happy in my current position and will be just as happy if I get to stay here. I don't like a lot of stress in my life and getting that promotion will cause me tons of it. I'm happy either way...I love my job no matter what happens.

Bailey, sounds like you had lots of fun. DH and I along with 2 other couples are going to Reno at the end of this month and they all want to ski. I've skied 4 times -- took a lesson the 1st time and broke my wrist the 2nd time. The last time I skied was almost 10 yrs ago and I was miserable -- cried my eyes out that night. It's to the point now I think I have a phobia with it. I'm very frustrated with myself because I don't want to be the only one who doesn't go -- I also don't want to be stuck at the hotel while everyone else has fun. I went to CO about 5 years ago and we had lunch at Vail and just being around the skiers made me upset. I'm really frustrated and actually to the point where I'm not even looking forward to this vacation. Do you or your BF have any suggestions of how I can overcome this ski fear???? Sorry, but this is something that's really bothering me and as the trip gets closer it's getting worse. Anyone here have any advice????

<<raising my glass of water for a toast>> Here's to a good week of staying on plan and getting lots of exercise!!!!
Old 03-04-2002, 12:46 PM   #10  

Hi all.

I made up some points yesterday for the m&m fiasco, so I am happy about that. Just gotta keep moving in the right direction! I also added 10 minutes to my workout today.

Jul - sounds like a fun weekend. I've never seen that movie either.

Liz - actually there were no teens here this morning - it was in the single digits! Cold, cold. ~ It is great that you love your job so much. ~ Good luck with the skiing thing. ~ I like your toast! I plan to have a great week.

Rabbit
132.979 miles
Old 03-04-2002, 12:55 PM   #11  

Lizzard, I am not one to give skiing advice but instead 'like-minded understanding'. My husband loves it! I fear it too. I just don't have the strength in my knees for the turns and stops. In fact the only way I could stop was to ski right into the ski school building. Very funny - very embarrassing! When my husband did finally get me to go up to the top. It took me 3 hrs to come down the run. I covered probably 10 miles just going back and forth sideways. DH was getting very upset at me yelling that we were suposed to be going 'down' not across! I just stood there crying! This was in Canada. Loved the Banff area and finally met some people to try cross country skiing with. that went much better! If we ever go again I will only go cross country - no downhill for me!

- jul
Old 03-04-2002, 04:59 PM   #12  

I tried skiing once. I quit before I could even finish my lessons. It just didn't make any sence to me at that point. I guess if I had more access to snowy mountains, I might like to try to learn.

I am having a bad day. Nothing is going right. I have been expecting so much more of my self, and now I have come to a stand still. I am not quitting, but I am overwhelmed at the moment. I think taking on my closet last Friday was premature. I ended up with all of that stuff scattered through out my house, and eventhough I have dealt with most of it, there are somethings I have no clue what to do with it. (Like the kids keep sake stuff) Our house is too small!!! I will be glad for the day we get to move.

I bought 2 new tables with IRS$ with storage space, a new lamp, and a slip cover for my grandmother's chair that my dog messed up when he was in doors. I am excited about making things look a little better, that will help me be motivated to expect more of myself. (That and the fact that this weekend is dd#3 & ds 5th and 4th b-days, and I have company coming over!!)

Liz - Since I am mentioning the dog, I thought I would tell you that since we put him out in the back yard, he is working out great. He is a happy camper, and so are the kids. I think after the birthday party, we may try to let him come in and hang out sometimes. He is such a loving dog, and I am glad we have him. Dogs are a lot of work, but if you are willing to take the good with the bad, they are worth it. Let us know when you get one.

Rabbit - I can not have m&m's in my house right now, because they are one of my favorite candies. When I started this whole cleaning kick, I found some candy (Hersey's kisses with almonds) I had bought for a Christmas ornament I gave as presents. It drove me nuts that they were there. I did break down and ate one, and then had dh take the rest to work. I don't want any illegal chocolate in my house, because I will eat it.

Jul - I tried to look at the website briefly, but didn't see anything. I will try to look more in detail after I finish posting. I love glass art. It is so beautiful. How cool to do what you love for a living.

Baily - I got the joke!!! I remember the day you couldn't convince yourself to eat the orange, and I remember Liz asking you if you ever ate it. Too bad you didn't, that vitamin C would have been really good, and in it's dried out shriveled up form, it does no one any good!!! Have fun in your travels, and check in when you can. Thanks for the info on the calories. I will have to go re-add everything to make sure I am getting enough calories. That is one thing about changing what we eat, is that it has way fewer calories than what we used to eat.

Nanci - I can't imagine the grey skies, but I get tired of 100 degree weather most of the year. It gets too hot to move here in the summer. And electric bills go sky high. Maybe living somewhere in between the north and the south would be better. If there is even such a place. North gets too cold, South gets too hot, California has earthquakes, and Central U.S. has too many tornadoes. I don't think there is a perfect place to live, unless it is Hawaii (oh, too many volcanos)

Pryia - Today is day 7. How is it going? Did you exercise yesterday? I didn't, and since everything went so crazy, I guess I won't today either. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for me.

BFB - How are you? Are you still lurking? Did you ever tell dh about the blouse? I hope you can wear it soon. How about the job situation? Let us know how you are doing.

Have a great day, all
Old 03-04-2002, 07:28 PM   #13  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone!

I just have a few minutes - still at work - so I thought I'd say a quick hello. Been working late but I haven't been too bad with the food they've ordered. Tonight was tough - chicken wings, chicken fingers and fries (and veggies and dip). Very yummy but not great for points. It was good because I'd only had 8 points before dinner and I had one wing, 5 fingers, a few fries and some veggies with my Diet Coke. I don't know the points involved but I did the best I could really.

Lyssa - don't despair, we all feel like that sometimes. You know sometimes if you just ride it out, you'll feel better soon. Do your best and know (as Scalett O'Hara says) tomorrow is another day!!

Rabbit - you and those M&M's!!! Good Luck.

Liz - good luck with the interview, sounds exciting and you have a great attitude so you can't lose.

Bailey - thanks for the encouragement and tips. I think I already had my couple weeks off so I've just been trying to keep things in check. I (like so many people) gain weight so easily so I have to be careful and even being just a little lax I only maintain so if I go over a few points everyday, no wonder I don't lose. But things have gotten better in the last few days and I see that 140something approaching - keep you posted! I like your calculations for your trip and gaining 3 lbs wouldn't be so bad but maybe being a little careful you could manage to maintain. I hope it goes well for you. I know what it's like when you have a trip to plan for.

Hi to everyone I've missed - back to work!

Oh - one more thing, speaking of movies people have mentioned here - anyone remember the movie Little Darlings with Kristy McNichol and Tatum O'Neal?? It was on on the weekend and I watched it. It was still great!

Elisa
Old 03-04-2002, 08:02 PM   #14  

Hi everyone,

Well I got off work early because I had to go to the Dr and get some blood taken from me. UGh I so dislike that. I get so worked up that I have actually fainted before. The poor gal trying to get it out of me. Oh well it is OVER.

I saw the duchess this AM at the super meeting. It was great. She is very motivational and a great speaker. If any of you have a chance to go to one in your area do it. They had 4 success stories. One gal had lost 240lbs. Her story was very touching.

Bailey, Oh my 19 out of 37 is a lot of days. You will do well with it though!

Rabbit, Good job on making up some of those M&M points. You are doing so well, keep thinking of your mantra.

Jul, Thanks for the info on the pig. I will be looking for it.

Liz, Boy the skiing thing is a tough one. I guess I would have to say do you even want to ski? If you don't maybe you could check into a day at one of the spas there. That way you would be doing something for you and not feeling bad while they were all gone. If you do want to ski why not call ahead and make reservations for a private lesson. You might feel better if you don't feel like everyone is waiting and watching you. Let us know what you decide. I can tell you Tahoe is one of the best places I have ever skied (haven't skied in years) It is gorgous even if you don't ski.

Elisa, I use to love that movie!

Lyssalou, I sure hope the day got better.

Take care everyone
Nanci
Old 03-04-2002, 10:09 PM   #15  
Phat Chick

Thumbs up

3.08am here - can't sleep and have just managed to lose my long post. Nite all
Closed Thread