Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #1  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Default 500 days... cripes!

So, I finally accepted last night that it's time to start planning for a wedding. My guy proposed at Christmas and I told him I wasn't ready to deal with all the details yet - I know he's the guy I'll spend my life with and all, but I just didn't have the time to deal with all the questions (everyone asking when it'll be, wanting details, etc).

So, we went this weekend and finished the final touches on the custom ring, and he told me I don't get to wear it until we set a date. We finally hashed out some details last night, and decided on Sept 20 of '08. It's still tentative on finding a place and all, but it's kind of striking home all of a sudden now that there's a date in mind.

So, looking at some of the wedding planner sites and stuff, and one gives a countdown to the day - I have 500 days from today to Sept 20. Seems like a heck of a long time, yet it's an average of a pound a week from now to then to reach my goal, which is about the rate I've been doing. (And that's assuming I have until the day itself to make the dress fit, etc - which I won't).

I'm focused on becoming healthy over losing weight, with the idea that the number on the scale is a side effect of my lifestyle, instead of the other way around (I'm not just changing my life TO lose weight). However, I have a feeling I'm going to derail myself in obsessing over the wedding - I've always vowed that I don't want my wedding day to be the skinniest day of my life (I know too many people who diet SO much for the wedding and then gain half of it back by the end of the honeymoon!). I want to be healthy and go into this next stage of my life feeling and looking great, but I don't know how to not obsess over the wedding as a "deadline" of sorts.

Any thoughts? Comments? Any way to get myself focused on the "now" instead of "only" 16 months to lose 70 pounds?
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/192/145

Height: 5'6"

My husband did the sweetest thing for me. He booked a "surprise" wedding in Vegas for the week after he proposed. I had no time to think about how much weight I needed to lose (and at the time, it was a LOT more than I have to lose now).

I bet there are some wicked cheap flights for next week!
harrypotterybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #3  
Dieting Diva

I love the Vegas idea. I would send DD21 and her BF there in a heartbeat if they ever decide to do something.
There is no stress with the Vegas plan, you go, get married and spend time together.
At this point you have 500 days of thinking about that one day.That day the dress, flowers, weather,attendents, music vows and reception need to be perfect.
If you were to hit Vegas you could do the wedding and then plan the party for afterward for your friends to celebrate the event. You still get to dress up and be presented as a couple- but it takes the monkey off your back of getting through the ceremony.
It's not really about "that" day- but your love for each other. I vote a room at the Hard Rock or the Mirage !
sirak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/192/145

Height: 5'6"

Plus, you get to walk around all day in your wedding gown and have hundreds of strangers congratulate you, take your picture, or steal a kiss for good luck!
harrypotterybarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 100kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 170cm

Just a heads up - I think there is a 'brides to be' thread under support groups > misc. groups > brides to be. They are all going through the same thing as you!!

I just wish bf would hurry up and propose to me already!! :P
Elerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elerine View Post
I just wish bf would hurry up and propose to me already!! :P
Why don't you propose to him, if you want to marry him?? Why sit around waiting?!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:51 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Rock Chalk, that's a big step! Congratulations!

Well, there's no way not to think about it... but it might help to remember that you can only eat one meal at a time, only lose the next pound. Focus that closely on what you're doing. Then, each week, maybe have an appointment with yourself to evaluate how it's going and make adjustments if you want.

You were going to be doing this anyway (losing weight for health), so wedding or not, you're headed in that direction. Remind yourself that your commitment to health came first!

Cheers! Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote