Old 05-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #1  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Height: 5'4"

Default Job Interview!!!

I've been looking for a second job for awhile now (Dave and I have HUGE credit card debt to pay off!), but I haven't been having much luck; that is, until yesterday. I went in to Red Lobster to hand in a resume, and ended up having to fill out an application, answering a 30 min multiple choice personality and math test, and I have a job interview in just under an hour. I'm soooo nervous! Not only do I need this job for the money, but they also have pretty much full health and dental benefits after 6 months! Which is AMAZING for a poor student with wisdom teeth that need to be removed.

So wish me luck! Here's hoping I come back in a couple of hours as Red Lobster's newest hostess! (And if I don't get the job, that I don't binge to drown my sorrows. And that if I do get the job, for that matter, that I don't binge in celebration )
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Good luck!!!

Working in a restaurant can be a bit of a challenge. When I worked at a restaurant the first time (in college), I was constantly eating the food there since I got a discount--NOT good. I put on a ton of weight. But the second time I worked there (as a part-time job nights after working my full-time job during the day), I lost a bunch of weight from being on my feet all night and NOT eating the food. It's hard to not eat the food, though, or to not go out drinking after a shift--it's sort of the server lifestyle, and it can be hard to fit in with the rest of the staff socially (if you care about that at all) if you don't munch on appetizers with them after shifts and such.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #3  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Good luck sweetie. I can't find a job to save my life because no one seems to want to hire you if you have no experience SIGH..I WANT experience LOL.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #4  
Sarah

I got the job!!! It was the longest interview EVER (2 hours, and with two separate managers!). My first shift is on Wednesday at 4, so now I have that to be nervous about!

I don't think the food will be too much of a temptation; I don't like seafood! And while they do have some non-seafood, at least it won't be as bad as if I'd been hired at, say, Boston Pizza... mmmm, pizza...

I know what you mean about experience, Mary. I applied EVERYWHERE within an hour's walking distance of my place, and it seems like everybody wanted someone with serving or retail experience. I have general customer service experience, but noooo, apparently that isn't good enough I'm just glad they're giving me the chance here, even if it is in the most entry-level of positions.

I'm probably going to be trained in cash as well as hostess, and then if I do well and show an interest, they might train me at the bar. And then, if I really "WOW" them, they might let me be a server. But I don't really even care. I just want my benefits, lol.

Anyway, I think I am going to treat myself and have some pizza tonight to celebrate. Dave talked me into it (since we never get to have pizza anymore). I won't feel too bad about it (in moderation, of course!)
Old 05-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #5  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Congrats on getting hired! I know it's a relief to know you finally got a job and get those benefits! I love Red Lobster so I would be in trouble working there hehe.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Congrats!!! I'm not a big fan of seafood, either, but those cheddar biscuit things, man...

That's strange that they would train you on bar before serving. Typically, bartenders make more than servers in tips, so if they let you go to bar, take it and run with it!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #7  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

Congrats!!
Yay for benefits!!
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #9  
~~Joanne~~

S/C/G: 178/151/150

Height: 5'3

CONGRATS!!!!

Sometimes I think I want a job. I stay home with my 2 year old son and omg he drives me crazy! lol. But then I tink "hes not going to be this little forever". hehe.
wateraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #10  
Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
Congrats!!! I'm not a big fan of seafood, either, but those cheddar biscuit things, man...

That's strange that they would train you on bar before serving. Typically, bartenders make more than servers in tips, so if they let you go to bar, take it and run with it!
I don't think it's really that kind of bar. There are only a couple of seats right at the bar, and most of the alcohol is served to tables, so I doubt the bartenders get much tip-wise. Still, it'd probably be more interesting than hostessing, which I'm sure will get boring pretty fast. Luckily for me, I'm a glutton for punishment and for some reason I excel at monotonous jobs

And Joanne, I know what you mean. One of the women I work with at the hospital has a 2 year old boy, and she works part-time. Before she was working 3 full days a week, and now she's working 5 days from 7 to 12. It's perfect for her, because it gets her out of the house and gives her a little break from parenting, but she still gets to see Matthew grow up. True, all of the money she makes goes toward day care, but it's really more of a hobby for her than a job (her husband is an RCMP officer, so they can afford for her not to work). I don't know what I'll do when I have kids. I don't think I could stand being a full-time SAHM, but we'll see.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 AM   #11  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Well congrats on getting the job!
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:41 AM   #12  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Congratulations!!

(And randomly, I finally have to say how much I love your name. My brain says "outgrabe!" every time I read it...)
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #13  
Sarah

Thank you all for your congratulations, they make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

I ended up going to Pizza Hut with Dave to celebrate. We got a thin crust pizza with ham and extra sauce (my FAVOURITE), and I got a side garden salad, with no croutons or dressing. (Dave wasn't very thrilled with the thin crust, but I figured it was a good compromise, considering I shouldn't have been having pizza at all!). It was a good meal, although not particularly on plan. Pizza is allowed once a week, but only one slice, and I ate two. Plus it's supposed to be plain cheese (ham has a lot of sodium, of course), but whatever, it was a special occasion. I figured my weight loss would stall a bit this morning, but instead, I still lost 0.4 lbs! Maybe I should eat pizza more often! (But probably not )

Desiderata: I can't believe there are people here who actually understand what my username means! I've used it on other forums before, and people always seem to think it's some crazy abbreviation for mommy wrath or something ridiculous like that!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #14  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momerath View Post
Desiderata: I can't believe there are people here who actually understand what my username means! I've used it on other forums before, and people always seem to think it's some crazy abbreviation for mommy wrath or something ridiculous like that!
I didn't want to mention it, I had to prepare that text for one of my exams, and it was pretty much nightmarish. (Reading exam, a.k.a "how the heck do I look up the pronunciation of words that don't really exist?")
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote