Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #1  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Default Oh boy, more Kevin Trudeau . . .

Saw his infomercial while channel surfing -- now he's pitching the book "Weight-Loss Cure 'They' Don't Want You to Know About" (because, as always with him, it's a giant conspiracy!)

During the infomercial, he touted:

- No exercise required
- You can lose a pound a DAY
- The weight loss is fat, not lean tissues/water
- and, of course, it's easy and nearly 100% effective (according to "doctors")

Red flags went up everywhere in my mind when he's spewing out these claims -- like his two previous books (the 'Natural Cures') ~ this sounds controversial at best and downright dangerous at worst.

But given most people's obsession for quick, easy ways to lose weight ~ I can see this becoming yet another bestseller as soon as it hit the shelves (right now it's only by phone/online order). I feel so bad for the many folks that will be mislead by him ~ not to mention getting scammed $30 in the process.

P.S. Haha, I did a quick google and amazon.com is selling it for $14.95, now I feel REALLY bad for the phone order folks (who are shelling out $29.95 + S/H).
Old 03-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #2  
it's always something

I've got a copy. It's disgusting and dangerous! I'm writing a review for the website.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

This book has been out quite awhile. Do you think he wrote when he was in prison ?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

Someone should write a book about him, "Kevin Treadou, the Shyster Within the Miracle Cure"....I can't believe he's allowed to spew this garbage for his latest scam....."it's the plan used by ROYALTY" oh, barf.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

Suzanne can you give me a link to the review you wrote? Thanks
Amy
Old 03-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #6  
it's always something

It's not up yet

But I will tell you the basics of the book. He calls it a Weight Loss Cure Protocol which involves an extremely strict diet, hCG injections, and a list of 60 weird things you are supposed to do. Ok, not everything on the list is weird, some are just plain common advice found everywhere, such as avoiding trans fats and hfcs, and choosing organic foods. But then he says you can't wear any lotions or creams. No cosmetics other than lipstick, eyebrow pencil, and powder. No fluorescent lights. Reduce air conditioning. He recommends a lot of wacky supplements. He's forbidden by the government from selling them, due to his history of scamming, but he can sure recommend specific companies to buy them from. Kickback?

The diet is 500 calories per day and consists of lean meat and vegetables (from a very limited list). It's a starvation diet.

Oh, if you take any medication at all, ANY medication, you have to give it up. He says that every medication, either over the counter or prescription, absolutely 100% causes illness and disease and is proven to lead to weight gain. So maybe my problem is my heart medication and I should just quit taking it. I'm sure I'll lose loads of weight when I'm dead.

Then he also says you need hCG injections which must be prescribed by your doctor. Since this is not something doctors just prescribe on request, and has not been shown to help weight loss, you are probably not going to get it. If you do, then your doctor scares me.

Kevin says this diet must be followed under the care of a physician. Fortunately, this may be the thing that prevents you from following it and damaging your health.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:05 AM   #7  
Meg

Suzanne, I'm (almost) speechless! That's so scary I don't even know where to start. But I'm especially stunned about 'no medications'. My son is diabetic and would die without insulin, probably in a few days. I'm hypothyroid myself and though I might not die without meds, I can assure you that I wouldn't lose weight, probably even on his 500(!!) calorie a day diet.

Honestly, how can this sort of thing be permitted? Yeah, I know, First Amendment and all ... but seriously, this is dangerous stuff.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #8  
it's always something

Insulin is #10 on his list. He says the majority of overweight people are diabetic or prediabetic. The solution is for everyone to drink Eleotin tea. http://www.eastwoodcompanies.com/eleotin/index.php
Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #9  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Oh, if you take any medication at all, ANY medication, you have to give it up. He says that every medication, either over the counter or prescription, absolutely 100% causes illness and disease and is proven to lead to weight gain. So maybe my problem is my heart medication and I should just quit taking it. I'm sure I'll lose loads of weight when I'm dead.
That just made my day

But wow -- 500 calories a day, that IS downright dangerous. Jeez, the man might as well go folks to hack off the fat themselves with a cleaver.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Meg . . . your son is Type I . . . we Type II's (those of us who need Insulin) would probably take a lot longer to die . . . Scary stuff some people stick on the boards . . . absolutely awful.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:16 PM   #11  
Meg

The funny thing is that the doctors have never decided if David is Type 1 or 2, though they're leaning toward 1. They say the latest research is showing that diabetes is really one disease that's a continum (sp?) between Type 1 and 2, rather than separate diseases.

When David showed up in the ER, his blood sugar was 408, he had ketones, he was 17, and he was immediately put on insulin. No one in either side of the family has ever had diabetes so all that adds up to Type 1. But ... he doesn't have antibodies, which about 75% of Type 1s have and he was overweight (he's lost 60 pounds but could stand to lose another 30 or so) (did you know that Julia, David and I have lost 237 pounds all together? digression! ) That made them think Type 2.

I think he has elements of both insulin insufficiency and insulin resistance, so I really buy the continuum theory. He actually is using less insulin than he did a year ago, so his pancreas is producing some. But I don't think he'll ever be able to go off injected insulin, regardless of his weight.

Even after all my weight loss and the exercise I do, I've had fasting BG readings over 100. I think it's somewhere in my genes.

Interestingly, I have a friend who's 54 who just got diagnosed with Type 1 because he's producing antibodies.

Total digression, but I find it all very interesting.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Whoah.... my friend almost bought his book too.

Who said he was in prision is it true?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #13  
it's always something

Yes, he was in prison twice, once for credit card fraud and once for swindling a bank.

Read this http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=1527774
Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #14  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

Height: 5'5"

Here's a link to the consent order between the FTC and Kevin Trudeau, if you're interested:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/03230...tip0323064.pdf

Oh, and did you know that Mr. Trudeau was also held in contempt for violating a preliminary injunction prohibiting him from advertising that coral calcium cures cancer? In other words, he violated the court's interim order prohibiting him from making false claims about the very product he was already facing fraud charges about.

Here's the contempt order:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/03230...mpt0323064.pdf

Yeah, a real man of the people, that guy.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #15  
it's always something

Some good points?

Sure, apples are good for us. Breakfast is a smart idea. Avoid trans fats.

Yes, there are some good points in there, that also happen to be common sense. But the problem here is that he's decided that if he spatters the text with enough obvious truths that somewhere deep inside we'll wonder if the rest of it is also true. Hey, apples ARE good for you, so maybe he's also right about colon cleanses, 500 cal diets, and hcg injections

I'm sorry to sound so cynical, but colon cleanses are the number one health scam hitting the public today, and Trudeau is apparently trying to milk it AND outdo it with his other crazy ideas.

The junk is not in our food to intentionally keep us fat. The junk is in our food because it's cheaper to produce so the companies make more money. The junk is in Trudeau's books so he can intentionally deceive us so he can make more money. It's estimated that he's worth $2 Billion dollars, most of which is bilked from innocent consumers.

There are a LOT of better sources for learning about good nutrition from people that genuinely want us to be healthy. Trudeau isn't one of them.
Closed Thread