Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:45 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Daily Menus--Week of 4/30

Wow, it will be MAY already this week!

Today's food plan looks something like this:
  • oatmeal and banana
  • Lean Cuisine
  • burrito bowl (with more lettuce and less rice than usual to cut back a little on calories and make it more salad-like for the nice weather)
  • chicken w/honey dijon marinade on brown rice
  • ice cream bar (I bought different ones this week with no HFCS--funny thing is, I checked the ingredients on some of the "Healthy Choice" ice cream novelties, and they certainly had some UNhealthy ingredients! )
Old 05-01-2007, 02:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 288/252.8/160

Height: 5'7"

I'm curious what ice cream bar you bought with no HFCS? Are they low-cal or low-fat or just regular? I've been letting myself have skinny cow fudge bar at night (100 calories) and find it's easier to not cheat during the day if I know I have a treat coming in the evening. They list both sugar and corn syrup, but not HFCS.

And I need to get planning my meals for this week. I've been slacking and it makes things so much easier when I do it!!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #3  
hara hachi bu

B: 1c plain yogurt, 1/3c cereal, 1T flaxseed, 1T wheat germ, 1T walnuts, 1/2c sliced strawberries, coffee w/1% milk
S: half a long-john
L: 2c romaine lettuce, 1T dressing, 3/4c grapes, 3 crackers, 2 laughing-cow cheese wedges
S: buster bar
D: steamed broccoli and carrots, salmon, sweet potato
S: toast points w/hummus

W: 64 oz

Last edited by phantastica; 05-03-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Breakfast~ 1c Kashi Go Lean, 1/2c blueberries, 1/2c unsweetened soy milk, & coffee
Snack~ 1 small blood orange, 2 rye crackers, & 2T hummus
Lunch~ 1/2 PB&J sandwich (ww bread, 1T natural PB, & 1T mango jam) & salad with baby carrots
Snack~ 1 small blood orange & 1/4c pistacios
Dinner~ Spiced mung beans, brown rice & roasted broccoli
Snack~ 25g of dark chocolate
Old 05-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #5  
Getting Fit & Healthy!

S/C/G: 135/135/120?

Height: 5'3"

Wednesday Food Plan: (please provide feedback if you'd like - this is my first menu post!)

B: strawberries & cream instant oatmeal (I know, too much sugar & not whole oats - I'm finding a new breakfast option ASAP, but I have been eating the oatmeal at work because it's free - I work for Quaker! I'll probably switch to Kashi GoLean & low fat milk)

L: whole wheat tortilla wrap w/sundried tomato basil hummus, baby spinach leaves, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, two sundried tomatoes (not oil packed). 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese.

S: 1/2 piece string cheese, 1/2 gala apple, 1 chocolate caramel egg (okay, that was bad...but only 40 cals and I DID stop with just one!)

D: two eggs scrambled w/low fat shredded cheese, one slice whole wheat toast w/smart balance light spread

S: protein shake: 4oz low fat milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, frozen mixed berries (no sugar added)

Exercise: 40 minute run (3.7 miles), maybe a walk outdoors tonight if its nice out!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #6  
hara hachi bu

B: 3/4c yogurt, 1T flaxseed, 1T wheat germ, 1T walnuts, 1 banana, 2c coffee w/1% milk
L: 2c raw carrots and broccoli, 2T hummus, 2 Wasa crackers, 1 laughing-cow cheese wedge
S: bite-sized candy bar, a piece of hard candy
D: Greek buffet and a beer - I'm not even going to attempt to log it

E: skating!

I have a road-trip weekend coming up. I'm not sure how that's going to go. Likely a meal or two in restaurants, probably drinks as well, but I think the person I'm visiting is on a health kick these days, too.

Last edited by phantastica; 05-04-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownChick View Post
B: strawberries & cream instant oatmeal (I know, too much sugar & not whole oats...
Actually, ALL oatmeal (even instant) is whole grains--they're just sliced thinner to cook faster.

For quite a while, I was eating the instant "lower sugar" fruit and cream instant oatmeal (which have recently been discontinued), but I stopped when I noticed HFCS in the ingredients (silly me, I'd assumed that wouldn't be in the "lower sugar" variety, but that's what I get for assuming!).

Now I've moved on to Kashi instant oatmeal (well, it says "instant," but you HAVE to cook it in the microwave, can't just add hot water or else it doesn't cook), which doesn't have as much flavor, but I add some cinnamon and mushed banana
Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

hmm, maybe I should actually post my menu instead of just reponding to others Today's looking like:
  • Kashi oatmeal w/cinnamon and banana
  • pbj sandwich
  • burrito bowl
  • Lean Cuisine (if I need it...we'll see)
  • club sandwich (all bread and coldcuts from Whole Foods--wheat roll, ham, turkey, bacon, Swiss cheese, light Miracle Whip, and honey mustard) w/bbq chips (also from Whole Foods)
  • ice cream bar
Old 05-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 135/130/120

B - 1 cup Smart Start cereal, 1/2 cup RF milk, Oatmeal smoothie w/ 1 green apple, 1 cup OJ, 1/2 cup of Oatmeal

S- Orange

L - left over dinner: Brown rice w/ grilled chicken, some type of green

S- fruit

D - protein and veggies
Old 05-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #10  
Getting Fit & Healthy!

Jill - I have actually tried the Kashi oatmeal before, it's pretty good. Quaker is coming out with a similar product - it's "instant" but has the kind of oats that won't cook in hot water (has to be microwaved) and they contain nuts, dried fruits, and other healthy additives. I think it'll be on the shelf this summer.

In any case, to avoid the temptation of the sugary oatmeal (literally - at our break room in the office, we have a box of every flavor of instant oatmeal that Quaker makes - you can take whatever you want, it's free...and dangerous!) I brought some portioned Kashi GoLean cereal and a little container of milk...that was pretty satisfying, just finished it!

Menu for Thursday:

B: 3/4 cup Kashi GoLean with 1/2 cup low fat milk

L: whole wheat tortilla spread with three-layer hummus (from Trader Joe's...it's roasted red pepper, original, and cilantro hummus all in the same tub layered together!!), topped with red bell pepper, sundried tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, and cucumber. 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese on the side.

S: low fat string cheese, baby carrots - Edit: ended up eating three strips of dried mango and one small Indian cookie (made with pistachios, sugar, condensed milk) at our office "Asian Heritage" celebration. I will save the string cheese for tomorrow, and might eat the carrots this afternoon if I need something to munch on.

D: grilled cheese (two slices low fat American) on whole wheat, 1 cup Trader Joe's roasted tomato & garlic soup

S: protein shake: 1/2 cup low fat milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries (no sugar added)

Exercise: 45 minutes of strength training

I think today's menu looks a little better than yesterday's!

Last edited by ChiTownChick; 05-03-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Breakfast~ 1c Kashi Go Lean, 1/2c blueberries, 1/2c unsweetened soy milk, & coffee
Snack~ ww tortilla with 1/2T natural pb & 1/2 small banana
Lunch~ Leftover Mung beans & brown rice, plus 2 slices of garlic bread (work bbq~I resisted everything but the bread)
Snack~ Apple
Dinner~ 5oz salmon filet, medium artichoke, & 1/2c saffron quinoa
Old 05-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #12  
hara hachi bu

B: 1 banana, 1c cottage cheese, 1T almonds
L: broccoli, carrots
D: not sure
Old 05-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #13  
Getting Fit & Healthy!

Haven't been able to post in a couple days.

Saturday menu:

B: 3/4 cup Kashi Go Lean w/ 1/2 cup low fat milk, small gala apple

L: black bean & low fat cheese quesadilla (whole wheat tortilla) with lots of fresh pico de gallo salsa

S: 100-calorie balance bar

D: big salad w/mixed greens, veggies - tomato, green onion, cucumber, carrot, zucchini, and small amounts of chick peas, bacon, blue cheese, sunflower seeds, and a few croutons, all topped with organic fat free balsamic dressing. I also had 1/2 a whole wheat roll with smart balance spread.

S: 1/2 cup blackberries, 1 small square dark chocolate

Exercise: approx 3-mile outdoor jog

Sunday menu:

B: fat free plain organic yogurt w/ 1/2 cup blackberries (and some "Equal spoonful" calorie free sweetener)

Will update for lunch & dinner!
Closed Thread