Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #1  
Staying on track!!

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/175

Default So tired/exhausted while dieting....

Is this normal?? I am eating plenty of calories (around 2200, and still losing, based on my weight), and am eating fairly healthy (not enough veggies, though, I'm sure). I'm not exercising.

I just feel like I've been hit by a truck most nights and mornings.... I have NO energy after work, and in the morning, I feel like I could just sleep forever. It's been this way for several weeks now.

Can someone tell me what's going on??
shyla2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hmmmm, I'd get checked out by your doctor.

Are you getting enough iron? Is your diet well balanced? Meat, vegetables, whole-grain carbs? Or are you heavily relying on microwave meals and 100-cal snack packs?

Are you drinking enough water?

It could be an adjustment phase, but you say it's been several weeks, you really should've adjusted by now.

What's a typical day's menu for you?
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #3  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Hi Shyla2001,
I found myself in the exact same position. So, I tried eating more protein and taking more vitamin supplements. I am drinking Diet Coke Plus and it seems to give me a kick in the pants (has vitamins and minerals). And with almost 50lbs gone, it's seems that your body just naturally has more energy.
Good luck and see if that works.
Jan
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there!

Having no energy can have a number of causes. I second what 2frustrated said about checking with your doctor. You could have anemia, for example.

Do you take a multivitamin daily? If you're not eating enough vegetables, you could be short on some important vitamins and minerals.

Are you physically active in other ways, besides exercising?

How many hours of sleep do you get in a 24-hour period? Are you getting 8-9 hours of sleep?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Ditto - my first thought was "are you eating enough?", but it sounds like you are. I was anemic while in university, and it makes you feel absolutely exhausted. I'd get your iron checked.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

What are you eating in those 2200 calories? Is it good nutrient dense food or is it junk food? That makes a huge difference too!

One other thing.....is there a chance you could be pregnant? I know that is the only time I just was exhausted. (and seeing your Dr. would be an excellent idea)
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #7  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I would mirror what the others said but wanted to add my input.

I used to be exhausted all the time, the doctors just thought I "didnt get enough sleep". they didnt listen to me. I realized later after a couple years of barely being able to keep my eyes open in the afternoon, that it had a lot to do with my diet.

I started substituting a lot of the bread products and cheese that made up too much of my diet, with veggies and whole grains I gained tons of energy. I think I have a bit of an intolerance to yeast. Who knew? Regardless, I feel much better now. In fact, I don't purchase bread. Once in a while I will have a pita pizza (with half the pita) or something like that but my body really rejects the yeast and even worse anything white (white pasta, rice, etc). That is basically just a bunch of sugar!

Just a thought as the doctors really didnt take my tiredness seriously and it was infuriating after a while.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #8  
I can do it !!!!

Height: 5'6"

Interesting post to read, I'm tired all the time too. Feel like a slug, and ALWAYS forget to take my vitamin. I'm hypothyroid which contributes to some of my groggyness. Goodluck to you, let us know if you go to the Dr and what they say!
2Bthinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

In addition to the already bunch of good advice/ideas you've received, I'd like to add that you SHOULD try to do some type of exercising. Exercising is a natural way for the body to get it's endorphins going. It's good for you, and the more you do it, the more you will be able to do it.

Good luck - let us know how it turns out for you!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 05-03-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:26 PM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

how much WATER are you drinking and what exactly are you eating???
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #11  
Staying on track!!

Just an update. No, I'm not pregnant, LOL. I had thought that might be the case, too, but found out for sure I'm not

The multivitamin, yes, I typically take one, but have slacked off the past few days. Will get back on track there for sure.

Regarding what I eat, yeh, it's alot of processed foods, I guess. I'm a busy working mom, so eat on the go alot. A typical day is:

Breakfast: always black coffee; with either a Luna Bar, a small smoothie from smoothie factory, or an egg mcmuffin

No morning snack, but eat early lunch

Lunch: typically a frozen lean gourmet or something; or grilled ckn sandwich from wendys; or subway 6" turkey & ham sandwich with all the veggies;

Afternoon snack: sugar free pudding cup and fruit cup (most days have both); sometimes yogurt w/granola

Dinner: varies ALOT, but typically some type of casserole with a veggie

Evening snacks: beef jerky; popcorn; fruit & yogurt w/granola; etc

Maybe that will help you guys help me identify the problem....
Old 05-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #12  
hara hachi bu

Definitely, make sure you're drinking your water!

I also usually forget to take my multivitamin, so I started keeping a second container of them at work.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #13  
Staying on track!!

Oh, and I sleep from around 10 or 11pm to 7am every day.

And no, I don't drink enough water.

And I might have a glass of wine (or two) some nights (left that out above).

Also will occassionally throw in a sugar free latte, either in the am, or afternoon snack.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #14  
ONEderland here I come!

the problem is that you're eating junk. processed foods don't FUEL you properly you need whole grains, lean proteins low fat dairy some fresh fruits... and lots of veggies.

how much water are you drinking? should be at least 64 oz a day. I get 12 glasses...

I'm a busy working mom. I have 2 dogs. I work 9 hours a day. I run a home.
i get to the gym daily and i don't eat any prepared foods. everything from scratch.

boil a dozen eggs at a time. grab one for breakfast with something else. I have a great recipie for homemade oatmeal bars if you want. they can bake up while you boil your eggs...

make leftovers for dinner and have them for lunch.... I always make extra salad for dinner so i can just throw my protein on the salad in the morning and poof i have lunch...
Old 05-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #15  
ONEderland here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica View Post
Definitely, make sure you're drinking your water!

I also usually forget to take my multivitamin, so I started keeping a second container of them at work.

we keep them on the lazy susan on the dinner table and everyone gets one at dinner....