Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default May Biker Chicks Chat

Somehow we fell off onto page 2!! Everyone come post, road, mountain, stationary.

Happy May! My DD did her first bike race on Sunday. She's a year and a half old, and did the whole thing on her tricycle. DH helped her. 1/4 mile. A good start, even if it was kind of hot, and she just chowed on the post race watermelon.

After a couple of bad weeks with a nasty stomach flu, and followed up by an emergency root canal, my goal is to get myself out again this week.

How are you all doing?

Anne
Old 05-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

well...I havent been able to get to the gym so my biking in april has been pathetic. I am a wimp with cold weather biking. Monday a.m. is going to be my official biking day...once it gets warmer, it was still only 40 yesterday so I ran.

but i did finally buy a new helmet!

My goal for may is to get out on a real bike at least twice! (small goals!)
Old 05-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #3  
mudbug

S/C/G: 232/215/160

Height: 5'9

Hey guys!!

I've been away from the computer for a while, but not from biking. Went on a

another group ride Sat. we rode 20mi. it was a beautiful route threw winding

moss covered trees, next to a river, truely what South La. is all about!! I got

a comp. so I can see my stats , and I've been riding farther than I realized.

Sunday- 20 mi.

Teusday-18mi.

The weather has been rather warm, so I try to get out in the morning before it warms up.

Rhonda
Old 05-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks Anne for re-booting this thread again ... With the nicer weather coming along it'll be nice to post our trips and adventures on bike ...

I have been biking and I am loving my new bike ... Today I did 15k/9miles and it was on the coolish side bue refreshing ... The first weekend I had my bike, 2 weeks ago, I biked over 100k it was awesome ...
Old 05-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280/276/150

Height: 5'6"

It was recommended I post my bike question over here to get some answers...if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

I have a lot of weight to lose. I want to start bicycling, but will need to take my bike to a nicer area to ride (I live in a questionable neighborhood that my hubby would not want me riding alone in). So, I'm looking for a good bike that is for a beginner that can transport well (on one of those rack thingies).

I've been thinking about a comfort bike with a nice sized seat, b/c the handlebars are up higher and therefore I think would be easier on the back. Does anyone know if that's a good beginner bike. I'd be riding in the city, no off road stuff.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #6  
mudbug

Hello katras5,

A couple of months ago I purchased a hybrid bike.{ trek- hybred 7100}.I was riding a cruiser and felt I needed a bike with more to offer but still want the comfort. A hybred is a cross between a road bike and a comfort bike. I get the speed I NEED TO KEEP UP WITH OTHERS. My handle bars are higher than the flat bars so I ride in a upright position, and they can be tuned up more if needed. It has suspension in the front fork and in the seat for a smoother ride, and the tires are in between rode and comfort size for more conroll. I absolutly love it and now can put some decent miles in for a good workout. It's not the kind of bike if your looking to get some racing or long touring because of the weight. I have no problem lifting it up onto my bike rack and Have had back surgery. I did need to purchase a extension bar so it will fit on my bike rack being it is a womans bike.

Visit a few bike shops and cheeck out the comfort and hybred bikes , take them for a spin and see what feels comfortable. Due to a bum hip that hurts to walk,or jog I have found biking the key to getting a good workout to burn the weight off and whats most important I LOVE IT!!

Good luck and let me know how the search goes.

Rhonda
Old 05-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #7  
mudbug

Hey guys

Went riding Thur. was going for 20 miles only got in half. Was so humid and windy and I didn't fuel up beforehand so I didn't have it in me . Anyway, I got a decent workout but didn't enjoy it . Today is a new day and the start of a beautiful weekend . Everyone have a nice one!!

Rhonda
Old 05-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #8  

Hi all--

Haven't been riding much lately. I've been focused on the 1/2 marathon that I'm doing in 2 days. I'll probably be out there on my bike next week. i took this opportunity to take both of my broken bikes in for repair, so I'm looking forward to picking them up!

Have fun riding this weekend.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #9  

Boarderchick, be sure to let us know how the half goes--come post on Cool Runners if you don't want to put it on the Biker Chicks thread.

I did a bike handling skills clinic with my triathlon group this morning. We attempted to pick up water bottles from the ground while on our road bikes, lifting our front and rear tires, riding in tight packs, and general slow speed handling skills. Most of it was on grass, and there were quite a few wipe-outs. It was very interesting, I learned a lot, and I'm going to be VERY sore tomorrow.

Anne
Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #10  

Hi all--

Done my 1/2 marathon. Felt strong throughout, which was nice. Running isn't my strongest thing, I like biking better.

On that note, wndranne--exactly how DOES one pick up a water bottle while on a bike? Sounds like you were at a great clinic! Any tips?

I'm planning a ride this weekend, if my quads co-operate!

Jackie
Old 05-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrs5 View Post
I've been thinking about a comfort bike with a nice sized seat, b/c the handlebars are up higher and therefore I think would be easier on the back. Does anyone know if that's a good beginner bike. I'd be riding in the city, no off road stuff.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Hi katrs ... Go to a reputable bike shop and get their expertise on what kind of bike would be appropriate for you.... You may pay a bit more but it is well worth it...

Tonight I biked 15k it was really nice but extremely windy ...
Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #12  

Hi Jackie, congrats on your half! That is quite an accomplishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderchick View Post
On that note, wndranne--exactly how DOES one pick up a water bottle while on a bike? Sounds like you were at a great clinic! Any tips?
Well, I'd suggest doing it on grass, because you WILL wipe out at some point. You just go slowly, lean forward and down, and try not to look at the bottle as you get close so you don't fall. I only managed to knock the thing over twice and never got it up, so I'll have to practice again. I never tried it on my weak (balance-wise) side either. FWIW, this is the best core workout I EVER did, and I am SOOOOO sore. I kept wishing for my mountain bike to do this on.

Anne
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 PM   #13  

Oh yeah, Ilene the bean??!? Huh?

Good on you for biking in the wind. I hate that. Katrs, I second Ilene's suggestion to go to your LBS. They can also teach you to take care of the bike so it'll be in riding shape for years.

Anne
Old 05-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
Oh yeah, Ilene the bean??!? Huh?
when my g/f's and I get together, they call me that

Being on a mountain bike would be much easier to catch that bottle that's for sure...
Old 05-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #15  

Rode to work today. 17.4 miles in about an hour and 12 minutes. DH works at the same place so he drove DD to day care then to work with his bike on the car. Then when I got to work I put my bike on the car and drove to pick up DD and then home. It is a nice system, and we'd gotten out of the habit of doing it.

Anne
Closed Thread